RC Racer

Low Voltage Error

My son has a Traxxas Lipo, and when I try to charge it on LIPO BALANCE - our Traxxas Charger beeps and the error comes up that say "Low Voltage" and wont charge...

Is there anything I can do or is the battery toast?

Thanks,
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

Test the battery with a voltage meter from the charge lead traxxas connector what is the voltage? You did run the car with a lvc on right? To prevent the lipo from dropping to far?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    Always run my trucks on LIPO - so they are always set with LVC to on... The only thing is that I charged it fully and then didnt use it for about a month... Would that do it? I dont have a voltage meter...
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

it could do it being it was fully charged. lipos are stored at a storage level voltage of 3.80-3.85v per cell so 7.60-7.70v for a 2s pack. Pick up a voltage meter like at Home Depot, Walmart even, Harbor Frieght and check the voltage. Is there any sign of puffing at all?
    How long have you had the lipo for? i highly doubt traxxas will honor the warranty as it stated with their lipos and i think the charger as well info on lipos how to store and charge them
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    recharge the battery but charge it on the nimh setting under .1 mah, after it finishes charging on that setting, see if it will charge on the correct lipo setting (mah divided by 1000), if it still says low voltage go back to the nimh setting and charge on .2 mah, repeat this pattern until the battery works.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    recharge the battery but charge it on the nimh setting under .1 mah, after it finishes charging on that setting, see if it will charge on the correct lipo setting (mah divided by 1000), if it still says low voltage go back to the nimh setting and charge on .2 mah, repeat this pattern until the battery works.
    This is a no no , the battery can catch fire or exploded , This is what I heard , put not sure . better safe then sorry .
    1 Rusty VXL

Did you try running the truck to see if the lipo already has a charge on it? It may already be topped off.

Deer meat in the freezer
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    If you don't have a voltage meter you can check the cell voltage using the charger.
    Are you sure it was stored fully charged. This is bad but it shouldn't be giving a low voltage error.
    If your using dc to power the charger, does it not say input voltage too low.

Don't use the nimh charge unless you know what your doing. You don't fully charge it!, you charge for about 1minute until the cell voltage raises to above 3V per cell. But treble check it is the battery that gives the error.
    Damage to packs happen at full voltage and at low voltage, you've hit both from what you say, If your unsure get a new battery, If you know you can bring it back then it may be ok but will need to be checked more often than normal, even if stored it will need checking.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    This is a no no , the battery can catch fire or exploded , This is what I heard , put not sure . better safe then sorry .
    i have done this 5-6 times, no problems. But lately it swelled up because i ran it under propper voltage in my sl4sh.... and when this happened i havn't charged the battery like that for months

RC Racer
    Hey Gang,

I charged my LIPO on the NIMH setting until it had about 100 amps (maybe 5 minutes) and then tried to charge it on LIPO Balance - and what do you know...it started charging...

Thank you to those that suggested getting a small charge using Nickel settings - I was about to toss out a perfectly good battery!!
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Champion
    cool, but remember you will just have to be carefull and watch it more.
    I had one that needed a little boost. The swelling was more noticable on that pack.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Hey Gang,

I charged my LIPO on the NIMH setting until it had about 100 amps (maybe 5 minutes) and then tried to charge it on LIPO Balance - and what do you know...it started charging...

Thank you to those that suggested getting a small charge using Nickel settings - I was about to toss out a perfectly good battery!!
    That sounds good, but as trax de max noted, watch for any problems with this pack in the future. Also, you have to ask yourself, how did the pack get so low in the first place? This is important to figure out so that it doesn't happen again.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Hey Gang,

no problem, just make sure you DON'T run the battery completely dead

In post three.......

only thing is that I charged it fully and then didnt use it for about a month..

so how did the Volts get so low it would not charge.........?? being fully charged & sitting for a month..
    Has the battery puffed...any??
    JMHO this battery will soon be dead, KEEP a very close eye on this battery. Including storing it in a fire safe box.
    "metal tool box" etc.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??