RC Competitor

SAFE running for 3S lipo slash vxl 1/16th gears and advice please

hello guys im struggling to find concerete solid infomation regarding running 3s lipo and 2x traxxas nihms for nihm 12s. can you please list the true set for the 3s and 2x nihms my theory upto now is.

(31t pinion) should be used for 2s lipo or 1x nihm only.

(28t pinion) should be used with 2x nihm or 3s lipo with low voltage cut off deactivated, and not bashed. only consistent speed runs not on and off the throttle.

please correct or confirm above.

can we use the 28t pinion for any battery from one nihm to 2x 3s lipos in series, or would the 28t make the mini slash run too hot with 1 nihm or a 2s lipo?

also where do we stand on using 1/10th on road wheels with 3s lipo?

also traxxas call the 28t pinion the high speed pinion but the 31t would be the fastest so would a 2s lipo and 31t pinion be the best all round set up and quite close to the 3s set up anyway?

thank you taking a look and i hope you can advise for safe running
    Last edited by RC-PHASE; 11-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.

you can use whatever wheels tires you want, butmay need to regear

DO NOT run any of those battery combinations you have listed above

the factory manual says what can and cant be used

2s or 3s in series are a NO GO

the esc wont even turn on (there is way to bypass this, but it may cause damage, and isn't safe for the batteries or vehicle)

23 tooth is what the mini revo comes with for the speed pinion..... yes, it is loswer than the 28t, but when running twice the volatage, if you dont make it run cooler, it will fry

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    2 Stock batteries would be 12 cells, not 12S. #S combinations is a term reserved for LiPo batteries, not NiMh. When you state "12S" you are referring to a battery that has 12 cells in series for a LiPo pack; which is 44.4 volts nominally or 50.4 volts fully charged. WAY too much for your RC.

The 31 tooth pinion can be used with 2S lipo voltage or 1 6 cell NiMh pack voltage. Notice I state "voltage" because if you use two packs in parallel, voltage remains the same.
    Also, please notice that a temperature gun should be used to make certain that you do not exceed the maximum temperature of the electronics.

The 28 tooth pinion can be used with 2 6 cell NiMh in series or with 3S LiPo voltage... again, I state voltage because you can use 2 3S LiPo's in parallel but not in series.

Please pay close attention to the following:
    If you are using a LiPo in your model, DO NOT deactivate Low Voltage Protection as you suggested! This is VERY dangerous and you could injure yourself and destroy your RC.

Your assumptions about using the higher voltage of 2 6 cell NiMh in series and 3S LiPo's for speed runs only is possibly correct... but it all depends on the heat of your RC's electronics. Proper gearing may allow for such voltage to be used on a daily basis.

Again, do not connect any two LiPo's in series to your stock ESC. It WILL fail.

You can use just about any tire you wish, but you must gear accordingly. There is no set gear ratio that works for everybody in every situation, so having a temperature gun is necessary to find the gearing that works best for you.

The speed pinion is called such because it is necessary to help lower temperatures when using higher voltage.

Hope this helps!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

The Merv comes with 31 stock pinion and 23 included pinion for series running of 2 NiMH packs or a 3s lipo. I would not run a 3s lipo with a 28t pinion you will build so much heat and destroy you ESC&motor. Do get a temp gauge its a must I went so long without one but I geared down because I wasn't sure the temps I was at so to be safe I did that now I can gear better since I have my temp gauge now.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

He is running a Slash... much smaller tire so it has a lot less stress on the system that with the MERV.

Also, the last I knew; the MERV came with a 23/28 pinion combo, not a 23/31.

For temps...
    Keep it below 200F. 180F is pushing the limits and I would consider 160F or below to be a great temp for most RC'rs.
    This is for both the motor and the ESC.

I thought i read that a few times about it being 23/28 for some reason i got a 23/31 in mine back in 2009 when i got mine. I double checked my pinion and its a 31 not sure why but it is thats why i assumed it was a 23/31 in there. Thanks Jimmie for the correction. I guess mine is running ok with the 31 pinion on 2s lipo but it does seem a little hotter now i know why i have the wrong pinion that was on mine when i got it.

Too bad that 31 pinion on my merv doesnt fit on my emaxx lol, i have a rrp 23 pinion but needs a new set screw for it traxxas set screws dont fit so take that into consideration when getting their pinions anyone pick up a couple set screws for them.

Huh... that's funny. lol
    Wonder how the 31 got in there.

not sure how, i know i sold my 23t with a trade i made a while back then i bought the 23t RRP pinion at my lhs so i started running the pinion that came with my merv at the time that was the only pinion i had so i know i didnt mix it up with another one. i always wondered why my temps were a little higher, i'll have to check temps when running on road next time thinking i might just order my front skid plate finally after 3 months its been down. I havent ran my merv can you believe it just because of a FRONT SKID PLATE !!!! awful. poor merv being put aside for the emaxx.

RC Racer
    Didn't read every word in this thread but I thought I would share my set up, which has been perfectly safe in mrev

Battery: 3s 1700mah
    Spur 45 t
    Pinion 32t
    Wheels 1/10 touring foams

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz121 View Post
    Didn't read every word in this thread but I thought I would share my set up, which has been perfectly safe in mrev

Battery: 3s 1700mah
    Spur 45 t
    Pinion 32t
    Wheels 1/10 touring foams
    what power system are you using? must be Big block with that gearing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    what power system are you using? must be Big block with that gearing
    nope! stock motor stock esc.. temps stay right around 100..no problems.. pushing around 60-70mph..

check out my video thread http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-videos..enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz121 View Post
    nope! stock motor stock esc.. temps stay right around 100..no problems.. pushing around 60-70mph..

check out my video thread http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-videos..enjoy!

60-70 is hard to believe

Especially with the stock ESC, that aggressive of gearing, on 3S, 1/10 size tires, AND no heat issues.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would buy a gps and a good temp.gun!

RC Qualifier
    The manual explains how to run it with 3s in detail. Follow the methodology contained therein.