Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best erevo esc?

RC Racer

best erevo esc?

new to the electric scene and just burnt up the esc on my 2month old erevo what is the best esc upgrade? im looking for something that is gonna last and maybe run a little cooler.

RC Champion
    How did you burn it up ?

Send it to traxxas and they will send you a new one

What is your budget ?

What batteries do you plan to run ?

What motor do you plan to run ?

How do you plan to use the car ?

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

the best esc for the mini erevo is the 1/10th castle creations mamba max pro

and what he said

RC Racer
    no real set budget, upto 150 i guess. im not worried so much about the cost as i am it lasting and maybe a little more power. i really dont want to have to do alot of modding to fit it in. what is the mamba max like? anyone using a dynamite fuze 1/10? looking to use the stock batteries for now but soon going lipo maybe 2s in series at the most. i mostly just bash around the house, hitting jumps and just abusing the truck. 10 year old son drives it whenever his is broke and i need it to last. im running the stock motor but looking at the dynamite fuze combo with the 5800kv motor 1/10th.

I have a Mamba Max in mine just because I had a spare laying around and wanted the computer programming feature. I think any 1/10th scale ESC will handle the MERV pretty easily, a Sidewinder would be a good choice as well. I did do a fair amount of modding and fit my ESC in the battery box with the heat sink coming out of the top of the box. You do not have to do this to fit the ESC but I liked the way it looks and works.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    what kinda kv rating should i be looking to get?

RC Qualifier
    kv rating only applies to the motor(?)

i'm currently using the team losi xcelorin sensored esc for my big block. the esc is quite old, though, so i've no idea how much it is, but i'm only using it while my mamba max pro is away at repairs.

the esc is okay, it comes with the quick programming card and pc usb connector. it seems to run quite cool, and while it's rated for 3 cell lipo max, i'm regularly using a 4 cell lipo in nimh mode (you can set a cut off voltage for nimh's, too).

ps: the sensored costs more than the sensorless one
    ... oh, and sorry about your wallet

RC Racer
    what is the difference between sensored and sensorless? i know the kv rating is only for the motor, i should have been more clear that i was asking about a motor combo and my online dealer carries like 4 or 5 different ratings for the same price.

RC Qualifier
    the stock one is best because it is WATERPROOF lolololol
    My MERV or My WIFE, GOD i'm gonna miss her!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newb
    what is the difference between sensored and sensorless? i know the kv rating is only for the motor, i should have been more clear that i was asking about a motor combo and my online dealer carries like 4 or 5 different ratings for the same price.
    sensored motors and esc's i found started up smoother, with less cogging (when it seems to jiggle into life). the stock esc is sensorless, and most brushless motors are sensorless, too.

if you are going to be running 2s in series (4s) and want reliability, get the mamba max pro. i knew i wanted the best when i built my merv....

as far as power, the esc will not give you more or less. it can help apply it smoother, but you aren't going to gain power from an esc. power comes from what your batteries can provide to the amps your motor is trying to pull

RC Racer
    so the sidewinder isnt waterproof? that could be an issue...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by newb
    so the sidewinder isnt waterproof? that could be an issue...
    the mamba max isn't water proof either. Your going to have that problem with pretty much all of them.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Qualifier
    i think lrp are the only other guys who make a waterproof esc, and i haven't seen any lrp ones in a shop so far.

RC Racer
    well gents i took the esc out today to try it in my other merv to be sure thats what it was and when i opened up the receiver case i could smell the burnt electronics. i disconnected the esc from the receiver and connected a battery and the esc turns on! removed the servo wire and it still would not turn on. does this mean it is the receiver and not the esc?

you can do quite a bit to make the castle escs water resistant, but nothing is 100% waterproof..... sure the traxxas says it is, but it's a selling point....

RC Racer
    well the story continues.... i connected the esc in question up to my other truck and it will turn on but will not operate. tested my other esc with my receiver and it would not operate so it looks as if i managed to burn up my esc and my receiver at the same time :s

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    you can do quite a bit to make the castle escs water resistant, but nothing is 100% waterproof..... sure the traxxas says it is, but it's a selling point....
    There is a difference between waterproof and water resistant. My watch is 100m water resistant, which means i can submerge it for 100m before water intrudes the housing.
    Waterproof just means it wouldn't get damaged from water splashes. I submerged my MERV once without any problems with the stock VXL esc.

Back to topic: i use the LRP nexxt, which is also waterproof. costs me 45 Euros + shipping (bought it directly from lrp-shop in Germany)
    I drove a sidewinder before (and i also waterproofed the sidewinder esc with plasti dip, liquid tape). But after some testing with the LRP, i will never go back to the sidewinder
    The LRP is also capable to run 1/10th scale motors down to 7,5 turns.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozilla View Post
    There is a difference between waterproof and water resistant. My watch is 100m water resistant, which means i can submerge it for 100m before water intrudes the housing.
    Waterproof just means it wouldn't get damaged from water splashes. I submerged my MERV once without any problems with the stock VXL esc.

Back to topic: i use the LRP nexxt, which is also waterproof. costs me 45 Euros + shipping (bought it directly from lrp-shop in Germany)
    I drove a sidewinder before (and i also waterproofed the sidewinder esc with plasti dip, liquid tape). But after some testing with the LRP, i will never go back to the sidewinder

Hey Jozilla, how come you like it better than castle? I'm still using stock ESC but would like an upgrade soon. Was thinking of getting this esc but some sidewinders on ebay are going for pretty cheap... How is it on 2S and 3S and any issues with heat? How does the stock motor (which I also run) fair with this esc? better than stock esc? Have you tried 2S in series? and what gearing are you using?
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozilla View Post

I've been hearing it is smoother, is that the case?
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    where's the heatsink??? what is the amp rating of this esc, 5-15A?
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Champion
    200 amp rated (burst I assume) so it will be fine

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    so stock 52A rated esc have a heatsink and some people even put fans on it, and this one don't even have a heatsink.
    is it made of superconductors or something?
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Champion
    Stock ESC has a burst rating of 326 amps

They burn up at a lot less than that

Can you say bad design .....................

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    Don't bash it if you've never tried it... Here's some specs... http://www.lrp.cc/fileadmin/lrp_anle...e-090204fv.pdf
    I also ended up getting the Sidewinder SV2 cause it was soooo cheap! If the LRp works better than I will put the sidewinder in a brushed 1/16 e-revo and get a velineon motor for 30 bucks!
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL

RC poster
    Please explain how did u mount it on the chassis, i plan to buy one of these soon. In Europe is cheaper i can get one for 55 euros including shipping. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by c_codrut View Post
    Please explain how did u mount it on the chassis, i plan to buy one of these soon. In Europe is cheaper i can get one for 55 euros including shipping. Thanks
    I didnt receive it yet. Where are you getting it from?
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL

RC poster

RC Qualifier
    Does he ship to Canada or USA?
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL

RC poster
    I am not sure he ships out of Europe. You can ask if you are interested in buying it from him. But the price listed there is for UE only. There is an adnotation that says: *Estimated local currency. When You are buying an item within the EU, there will be no additional costs for customs, duties and/or taxes.
    Probably with taxes, duties and customs the price will be near what you can get directly from USA.
    But in my case if i buy from USA i will pay around 110 bucks, so for me it will be a lot cheaper to buy within the UE with 55 euros, like 30% cheaper.

RC Competitor
    I got the esc from got2gorc.com and like it so far. It is waterproof and has heatsink and fan and plugs right in. Draws more amps then stock but has been good to me so far. Hope this helps. 3s lipos in series with 25t pinion and 45t spur last about 18 min. The guy said it will last longer when it gets warmer out. 52.5 mph with stock tires. I could probably go to a 28t pinion but don't want to chance it. My buddy has had good luck with his stock esc and is running 3s lipos with 30tpinion and 45t spur and it clocks at 62 mph with no thermal shutdown so far. He is just lucky I guess. My stock esc got screwed up running stock gears. Traxxas is replacing it right now.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by speedstang91 View Post
    I got the esc from got2gorc.com and like it so far. It is waterproof and has heatsink and fan and plugs right in. Draws more amps then stock but has been good to me so far. Hope this helps. 3s lipos in series with 25t pinion and 45t spur last about 18 min. The guy said it will last longer when it gets warmer out. 52.5 mph with stock tires. I could probably go to a 28t pinion but don't want to chance it. My buddy has had good luck with his stock esc and is running 3s lipos with 30tpinion and 45t spur and it clocks at 62 mph with no thermal shutdown so far. He is just lucky I guess. My stock esc got screwed up running stock gears. Traxxas is replacing it right now.
    You got the LRP NEXXT 4X at www.got2gorc.com ???
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL

RC Competitor
    Digging up an old topic but there isn't a solid answer to what I'm looking for.

Is the CC MMM worth the extra money over a CC SV2?

All I run my stock merv on is 2s lipo's, various driving condtions.
    Last edited by The Dark Knight; 11-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You mean over the mmp.
    if you don't ever plan to upgrade further and you can get it at a good price get the sv2

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    You mean over the mmp.
    if you don't ever plan to upgrade further and you can get it at a good price get the sv2
    Yes I mean MMP, I can get the SV2 for 60 or the MMP for 114, so as you can see the MMP is almost twice the price but I don't mind paying the extra if it is worth it.

I don't plan on going big block and 2S is plenty fast for me.

RC Competitor
    I needed the water resistant properties so I short listed Hpi vapor pro and ezrun 60a waterproof esc. Finally bought the ezrun with the programming card.
    Definitely better than the stock

RC Competitor
    Thanks, I'll consider those options too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    I needed the water resistant properties so I short listed Hpi vapor pro
    +1 vapor pro..cheaper than MMP, has a fan (sv2 and sidewinder sct don't), and it is waterproof.