RC Enthusiast

Can't decide................

I have been running my Rally with a Traxxas 3500 and a ** *** esc, 17mm treaded buggy tires, 19t/54 spur and a *** 5000 3s battery. I'm very impressed with speed. I want to upgrade motor and esc, but cannot decide which to go to, the ** 2400kv/*** esc or the ** 2650kv/*** esc. If anybody that uses their Rally for ONLY pavement racing/bashing/speed runs and has any suggestions, please let me know. I only have 3s and will NOT use a 2s battery. Thanks.
    1/10 Rally, 1/16 BB Merv, 1/16 BB Rally

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you ONLY have 3S youll want to stick to something lower KV that can handle some extra gear. A Castle SCT 2400kv system would be a great choice. You can gear it up a bit and on 3S it will be very very fast but still run cool. You COULD go with a castle MMM 2200 or 2650 system. The 2650 would be the better choice. But they are pretty big and heavy and really are overkill. the 2400 is a proven system that will work well for you.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    That is a good question you are asking. Based on basic principal of Kv x battery voltage=rpm's the 2650 would give a bit more speed potential but that is a very close call and the 2650 replaces the 2400 so........maybe which ever you can get the best deal on? And if watch you can find some steals on the Traxxas/Castle 2400's!

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has run both motors........

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for the reply pavementsurfer. I'll go with the 2400. On another subject, will CVD's for the Slash/P4de work when the stock sliders fail later on? I read the MIP shafts are good, but they have flat spots on the ends that wouldn't work for the AKA 17mm adapters I have.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for the info and the reply as well kwitty.

Blue, I'd love to see pics of you're setup. I usually put 17mm adapters on all my trucks and run buggy or Truggy tires, but I'm trying to stick with the 12mm on my Rally... it's hard. Lol

Deer meat in the freezer
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    The ET-3S and ET-2400 Traxxas/ CC combo is a good one to pick up off eBay from the chop shops if you can find them. They come out of the Funny car. You have a couple of options with the MIP's, with the new design you can go with their 17mm hex adapters as an upgrade or pick up FLM 12mm to 17mm adapters. These mount over the top of your stock hexes.

I also picked up the new Traxxas 6851R & 6852R Fr/ Rr driveshafts. I'm going to install these within the next couple of days.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore