View Poll Results: how do you like my thread

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll

8 72.73%
  • dislike

3 27.27%
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: new maxx

dang seems like rc's are not being made like they were a few yrs ago i've seen. I notice it alot friends here buy merv's, slashs and such and end up with stripped diffs, bearings going bad, esc's going bad with just a 2s lipo or nimh crazy but part of the hobby i guess. I wont be jumping my emaxx like i did the merv stripped diff when that took place.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It has been like this forever! When I bought my first edition e maxx and t maxx when they first came out my rc bag had extra diffs, axles every kind of spare part even transmissions. I even had the first metal gear for the transmission it was a prototype. I had robinson racing ring&pinions way back then! Every ride I broke something I broke the transmission and could change it in minutes!
    If they made them bullet proof they would lose a lot of revenue
    Did I mention it was a big block !

My cousin had a hobby grade rc way back and I had another rc non hobby grade though and mine never broke but his did was like a buggy style and mine was the fast track w/mat tracks on it lasted me 5-7 yrs of serious abuse compared to today's stuff till motor and wheel on it broke ending it lol. Sounds like you have been in the hobby for a long time then.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Think of all the money spent!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My maxx with the trenchers held up with no problems. Was worried about the extra weight of these big tires and wasted the rear diff on my revo with the lighter badlands!

Seems like the maxx does good with heavy tires unlike the e revo but both have their advantages I know that the revo can reach high speed but I like the maxx for the MT look it gives over the revo. Diffs are a headache in these rc's

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    did you see this jump ? it's with the revo but we were doing the maxx too. i was up on a hill and couldn't see the landing so i couldn't correct it but ran out of room!click on the photo

RC Qualifier
    Nice one.
    Nice to see others doing some decent bashing. Makes it tough when you cannot see the landing to land it on all 4's and pull it up before it runs into something.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I measured it today not bad 35 ft jump

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So far diffs are holding up with the trenchers but I did loosen up the slipper!

RC Qualifier
    So are you still running with the stock Diffs in your EMaxx? I am still using the stock ones in mine and in 9 months I have only ever had one failure and that was when trying to reset throttle end points on the Tx and the thing went beserk and went from full forward into full reverse (so not exactly normal operation). Admittedly they have been shimmed though which I firmly believe makes a huge difference in prolonging their life span.

last time i checked my slipper it was pretty tight but i did back out about 1/4 or was it 1/8 not sure but it holding up fine. lol its sitting in the closet thats why for the last 2 weeks of rain and work now.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had a Robinson racing ring and pinion in there and somehow broke the pinion on the first day. So I put stock back in and backed off the clutch adjustment a little more. Yes they are shimmed! And you do need to reshim after a few rides if the ring and pinion is fairly new

Were you needing reshimming? Or more less shimming? I haven't heard any clicking like I have had in my Merv. I hear my maxx every time I take it out only thing was a little sqeeking it might be a bearing in the diff perhaps? Dumb stock bearings. Those are the only ones I haven't checked yet. Good thing I know now upgrading the diffs won't always help you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It took another shim front and back
    I think the problem is the plastic diff case flexing could really use aluminum

So which is going to be better to get? I know you mentioned flm kit with diffs. Got a link? I know how it can take shim after shim lol.

Found it the other thread the link.thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Think I am going to repossess the e maxx from my daughter. Loading up the trucks to go ride and her truck is still caked with mud from the last ride! She took it in the back to clean it up but didnt do much!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Half way through the ride she got the dreaded clicking noise from the rear
    Heading back to the car it was front wheel drive

That is the stock sniffs right? Haven't ran my maxx in over 2 weeks now with no site of running it next week. Back to the bench then. I thought I wrote this before huh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had put the stock gears back in shimmed of course. Lasted two rides but on trenchers although I did loosen the clutch to about 1/2 turn
    Anyone know who stocks the flm bulkhead with gears?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    those were old style
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.

atleast they lasted 2 rides instead of kicking the bucket on the first ride! 1/2 turn is a bit to loosen it up but im thinking its the flexing from landing i know when i tried with the merv it flexed alot when landing i tried out what would happen if it jumped and landed on the skid plated as it does and sure enough it spreads enough for when you are still hitting throttle since its that moment to non contact it spins fast then strips and with that kind of power you have in there its no wonder it strips out. I looked the emaxx bulk when i took mine out and a little different but same thing would happen for it being bigger, heavier. alum would take it a little better i think and not flex but could bend if its not good stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    well i had an aluminum case and cup and was watching her drive . she is pretty good at letting off the throttle in the air .last 20 minutes of the drive had only front wheel drive
    looks like the flm are hard to get but i could do just the hybrid bulks as i already have hd diff cups and ring and pinion set
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-20-2013 at 11:11 PM.

ive heard good things about the hybrid bulks just something more to buy... man that sucks that it went out again. all this reading about bulks going out no wonder i havent had time to run mine lately mine better not start doing that. i noticed when i talked how good my bulks were doing in the merv all of a sudden then it started clicking and i am talking bad real quick not your just barely hear i mean hearing it like it was out almost performance was down alot wouldnt pick up as much. one thing i do notice is when i shimmed those it doesnt wheelie anymore at all now would the emaxx do that same thing? i run 4s only all i have right now.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Shouldn't. You probably shimmed it on the tight side
    E maxx has much more torque and different design on the merv when you shim the ring gear it moves it more and you don't normally shim the pinion and here you do
    I wasnt even disappointed when I heard the clicking I was just glad the losi mod on the revo was holding up. that! Was a lot of work

I never shimmed my Merv diff before that and haven't on the emaxx yet. I seen the work on the losi mod a lot of work

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    only work and money! have the tin coated gears front and rear!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i found some hybrid bulkheads and had to order some shims .so add close to another couple hundred bucks!

RC Qualifier
    An expensive hobby indeed

RC Champion
    Nice build 50!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks!
    When I told my daughter about the flm mod she said so I will be able to bash hard and not break the diffs!

haha now that is funny. I wonder what next will break if the diffs dont? chassis?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Easy there! I almost gave up on the revo with that losi mod another major failure might do.it!

no offense there ok. Before i got back into the hobby i thought about that what if stuff starts breaking one after the other kinda like a 1:1 car/truck. I know my friends have dumped 3000+ into their 95 f150 and now another 900 for a tranny. 500 of that goes to me though!
    I use to do that same thing once in awhile i do give up if things are not going right when modding something. If i had the cash i would do the losi mod if mine needed it at the time and perform the modding it needed. sounds like the only troubles you have with both are the DIFFS. sucks because that is suppose to be more metal there which you thought wouldnt be so easy to break.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When I moved up from my merv's to the 1/10 scales I really thought they were fairly bullet proof as long as I stayed away from 6s. I went through the same with my mervs and my two t maxxes over ten years ago. Tired of breaking and need to start saving money!

I replaced stuff for the fun of it at first but then friends, wife started breaking stuff and then i thought upgrading is going to have to be done to prevent it breaking by them lol. I started back in the hobby with a 1/10 pan car that went 30mph faster if i hooked a 9.6v to it. right now glad everything is working on both maxx and merv right now. pede well pede is going to either fund parts when they break or charger. bullet proof i dont think any rc is going to be 100% maybe not even 90%

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know that! Looked stronger than it is
    Flm hybrid bulkheads are on there way!

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Easy there! I almost gave up on the revo with that losi mod another major failure might do.it!
    I just stripped my rear diff last night in my eRevo...I also feel like giving up on my eRevo (Moneypit Revo) and staying with the Summit and eSlayer...busy with a SlayVo GT build too.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's no good! I tell you I am near the end. Have ran out of patience