Thread: bad ez starter?

RC poster

bad ez starter?

i just bought a jato from my brother and i think the starter may be going out. when i push the button on the wand it will start to turn the engine over but then it just starts to free spin. i get maybe 3-5 revolutions before it starts to free spin. any other ideas? much appreciation

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like your one-way bearing is slipping. Try cleaning it with WD-40.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

Welcome to the fourms! It sounds like the one way bearing is going out on you. Take the ez start off of your engine, and there should be a metal bearing in the black part of it. Try cleaning it first, then lightly oil it, and put it all back together. If it still starts to free spin, then you owb (one way bearing) is bad. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    can you replace just the bearing or do you have to replace the whole starter?

can you replace just the bearing or do you have to replace the whole starter?
    You can just buy the bearing. It's easy to replace. Here is the part number. TRA5211R
    Here is the link to it also.http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_One_...p/tra5211r.htm Hope this helps!

RC poster
    my brother was telling me about having a problem like this on a friends revo and they fixed it by replacing the spring around the clutch shoes... could this be a possible problem?

RC poster
    I had the excact same problem on mine, i just took the ez starter of the engine, pulled off the one way bearing and cleaned it then bit of oil and work perfect now

RC poster
    ill have to give that a try. thanks for the imput guys

RC poster
    well i cleaned and oiled the bearing and now it runs like a champ. thanks guys!!!

well i cleaned and oiled the bearing and now it runs like a champ. thanks guys!!!
    Alright! Glad we could help!

Quote Originally Posted by thakingcb7 View Post
    my brother was telling me about having a problem like this on a friends revo and they fixed it by replacing the spring around the clutch shoes... could this be a possible problem?
    If the spring or shoes broke the tires would turn when starting so hitting the starter would cause the truck to wander away. The OP said the starter would continue to spin even though the engine would not. Different problems with different solutions.
    The Super Derecho