RC poster

Rustler telemetry

Hello guys,

I would like to know what i have to buy to put the rpm telemetry on my rustler vxl. I searched a lot on this, but the information wasn't precise. I went on the traxxas rustler telemetry page, but i dont know what i nead to buy and what is unecessary. And one more question, can i put the docking base on a 2 channel TQi or it's only for the 4ch radio?

Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    You can put the Base on a 2 channel. You need your tooth count of telemetry ready spur, an RPM sensor, a trigger magnet, and a gear cover.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC poster
    Thx for this quick answer!

But there is already a gear cover... Do I need to buy the "Telemetry-Ready Gear Cover" ? And what is the telemetry ready spur? Finally, can you tell me the numbers of the items you listed pls? It would be easier to find the exact items.

Thanks a lot

RC Qualifier
    You need the telemetry ready cover because I believe stock doesn't provide clearance for the wiring and accessories.
    Actually if you go to the Traxxas home page here click products at the top. Then Electric. Then at the bottom on the right side select telemetry ..You will be asked what model and all electric are listed. After entering yours the items are all shown and the items Mooseslash listed plus numbers are all there.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC poster
    Thank you for your answer.

And i have one last question : should i buy the telemetry system? Like... is it precise and is it worth it? Cuz the docking base is a little bit expensive and i don't know if i REALLY need it. Because for the speed, i could put a gps on my truck but it would add weight and it wouldn't be the best performance, plus i would not be able to take the speed at any time, but with the telemetry, i could. And i don't have a radar gun (the gun to get the speed). So... is the telemetry good?

Thanks
    Last edited by tinynja98; 11-19-2012 at 08:01 PM.

RC poster
    Anyone can answer my question pls?

RC Qualifier
    That's all a matter of opinion and your wallet. Telemetry is accurate to a point there are a lot of high speed guys that say its not at high speed but because it is calculated value there is some error there i.e. the faster you go the more off it is. That being said its the only way to get a real time idea of speed. GPS is like you said going to add weight and can only give you a max speed and average speed which is fine if that's what your looking for. It also can have a certain amount of inaccuracy in it. The radar gun is probably the more accurate of the three but you have to set it up and ride by or have someone else with you to know what your running. This probably didn't help but its an answer.

RC poster
    Well... thanks for your answer anyway, it helped me because i never heard comments on the telemetry and i can know what i'm dealing with. And, final question : In your opinion, what is the best thing i could buy (value for money)? I just want to note that if i buy telemetry i'll have to buy : Docking base, rpm things, temperature things and voltage sensor.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I wonder why you feel you need this at all really I mean its great to know an idea of speed and its nice to have real time temps but neither are needed you can check your temps with a gun and you could put a low voltage alarm on your vehicle as a backup for the esc. the speed and rpm are irrelevant in the the sense that you don't need to know them to operate. But if you have a hole burning in your pocket I would spend it on the telemetry its not an exact speed but the temps and voltage would be great to see in real time. If your itching to know top speed I would buy a gps and put it in the car (plus you can use it as well always good to be able to reuse stuff). But i have never looked at radar gun pricing so if they are cheap could go that way for top speed. Well that's my $.02 good luck.

RC poster
    Thx you definitely helped me to do a choice. I think i'll go with the gps, because i already have 2 at home, one old and one more recent, and it's true that i won't ALWAYS look at the speed and that stuff... And for the temp i could just buy an infrared thermometer, some are very cheap like 12 bucks... And there is already the low-voltage cut-off on the vxl-3s esc.. You made me realize that i didnt realy need the telemetry.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by tinynja98; 11-25-2012 at 02:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tinynja98 View Post
    Thx you definitely helped me to do a choice. I think i'll go with the gps, because i already have 2 at home, one old and one more recent, and it's true that i won't ALWAYS look at the speed and that stuff... And for the temp i could just buy an infrared thermometer, some are very cheap like 12 bucks... And there is already the low-voltage cut-off on the vxl-3s esc.. You made me realize that i didnt realy need the telemetry.

Thanks again!
    it is a waste off money for the most part, IMO it will give you a ball park idea is all. if you had all the supply's already laying around that's one thing (or already came equipped on you rc).
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T