RC Qualifier

Are VENOM batteries good?

I am looking at some VENOM lipos.
    Just wondering if anyone uses VENOM brand batteries and whether they are a good brand of battery or not.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Competitor
    Spend your money on Traxxas PowerCells... I love mine and they have a lifetime warranty (KEEP RECIEPT) ... still lifetime free for 1yr and 50% for life replacement. DONE AND DONE!!! Thank you Traxxas

And NO I don't work for Traxxas, just not stupid. I do own Three Traxxas trucks thou and just ordered my 4th. Batteries thou, simple math... Batteries for life for 50% of the cost I am gonna have 4 trucks to run and three get run at the same time most of the time. Powercells either NIMH or LIPO have been good for me and plenty of power

RC Qualifier
    If i go lipo i will have to get an external LVD and a new charger that has a balancer.
    I am using stock electronics setup in the summit and it is 6 months old and it now guzzles my 2 x 3000mah batts in about 10mins (CRAWLING).
    I reckon i will get 5000mah NIMH's coz they will be a fair bit cheaper than 7600mah lipos.
    Thanks for your help.

RC Competitor

Go with at least a minimum of a 5000MAH battery thou no matter what battery you choose, I get with a full on run and my absolute low side of running is 35 min with my Taxxas Powercell 5800mah 25c 2s lipos on my Summit... crawling around and goofing off while my buddies with their Wraiths are trying to get up the trails means about just under 1.5 hrs of battery life for me with my Dewalt 14.4v powered Summit.

So the origional question was are Venom batt's any good, they work but don't have the life span especially when you are looking for balanced packs that will run down at a equal level over time. I won't recommend then for a Summit, a single battery pack truck on a entry level basis okay sure. NOT A SUMMIT, give it the amps... "it wants em"...

RC Qualifier
    Do you run other lipos and/or do you run any NIMH packs. If so what other lipos do you run and what NIMH packs do you run.
    Ok you have convinced me to stay with traxxas powercell which i thought everyone would say.
    Is it right that if i want to go any bigger than 5000mah i will have to go LIPO. Which was my thought in the beginning.
    Also will a LIPO have a longer run time than a NIMH. for example will a 5000mah LIPO have a longer run time than a 5000mah NIMH?
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 11-19-2012 at 03:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    IMO the Traxxas LiPos are to expensive compared to SPC, Gens Ace and some other batts.

Traxxas 5Ah 25c - 75$ (37.50$warranty) Link:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBYTV&P=7

SPC 5Ah 25c - 35$ (Right now they're on sale for 23$) http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=59

For me it's an easy choice, SPC all the way.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-19-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    This is a signature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I currently have the cheapest 7600's I could find... if I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have gotten SPC packs hands down. Shoot... there 8200's for the Summit are on sale right now for $50!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    $100 for 8200mah @ 30c though + shipping!

I have my two 4s 5000mah 30c making total 10,000mah for cheaper. They come with nice 8 gauge wire and everyone who uses them says they're excellent in every way!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-19-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Content

Don't hate me because my shipping is cheaper!

RC Champion
    Hahah yeah yeah yeah.

I have a venom 2s 60c 5600mah lipo
    It's a sport pack. I bought it yesturday. When I used it I broke the balence connector of because I forgot to unplug it. I don't like there style of connector. Get a normal one soldered on
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Should you have questions about Traxxas forum policies or rules, please feel free to PM your friendly neighborhood marshal. You'll probably get a more accurate answer than any discussion in an open forum.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I currently have the cheapest 7600's I could find... if I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have gotten SPC packs hands down. Shoot... there 8200's for the Summit are on sale right now for $50!
    that pretty cheap for 8200's...
    Sounds like spc's a very reliable... i reckon i will go with them... cheap and reliable

They are but will be expensive to post to Australia.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I can't find 1 but to make sure is there defnitely not a postage calculator.???

Don't worry just went proceed to chekcout... $116 postage...wow... mgiht b cheaper on ebay...

Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins View Post
    I can't find 1 but to make sure is there defnitely not a postage calculator.???

Don't worry just went proceed to chekcout... $116 postage...wow... mgiht b cheaper on ebay...
    That's before ups takes anther fistful of $$$$ at the door.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Yep the whole thing is startin to look a bit expensive i reckon.
    If i actually needed them coz my other batteries have totally stuffed i would get them but my other batteries still slog along for about 10mins so i am sort of just doing a normal upgrade so i do want something cheaper than that.
    So now i am lookin back at some 5000mah NIMH's... anyone run them in a summit?
    How do they go for run time?

RC Qualifier
    I run SPC 5000's in my Summit, I get about 25 mins when bashing and about an hour when trailing/crawling. It's luuuuvly!
    This is a signature.

RC Racer
    Ive got a Venom 2S 5300 70/140C high powered Lipo though used it in my bandit - awesome battery! not cheap though

I run 2 x Redback 2S 5000mah 30/60C Lipos in my 5 week old Summit - goes very well on high speed running, lasts like 45 mins to an hour. Crawling id imagine it'd last for a hour or two.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stach35 View Post
    Ive got a Venom 2S 5300 70/140C high powered Lipo though used it in my bandit - awesome battery! not cheap though

I run 2 x Redback 2S 5000mah 30/60C Lipos in my 5 week old Summit - goes very well on high speed running, lasts like 45 mins to an hour. Crawling id imagine it'd last for a hour or two.
    Have you timed the run time? Because it sounds like quite a while for 5000 mAh's.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier

Really?? in a summit??? lasting that long is a miracle surely???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    I run SPC 5000's in my Summit, I get about 25 mins when bashing and about an hour when trailing/crawling. It's luuuuvly!
    Are they a NIMH or LIPO pack??? Run times make it sound more like NIMH??

RC Champion
    Yeah with the stock 3000's I get about an hour crawling, and 25 mins bashing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Yeah with the stock 3000's I get about an hour crawling, and 25 mins bashing.
    Well i have had my summit for 6 months and i am stil using the stock 3000's but their run time is down to about 10mins (crawling)... about 5mins bashing
    The other thing is only ever got about 1/2 an hour crawling even on the first day i got it.
    Does that then mean my batteries might have been stuffed even when i got them?
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 11-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins View Post
    Are they a NIMH or LIPO pack??? Run times make it sound more like NIMH??
    They're LiPos. There is no difference in NiMH and LiPo run time when they are the same mAh.
    This is a signature.

There isn't?
    I have found otherwise...
    My buddy bought 3300mAh Traxxas LiPo's and 3300mAh Traxxas NiMh's at the same time as his eMaxx. He was new to electric (I say new because he had been out of the hobby for over 10 years and had nitro RC's when he was in the hobby) so he thought he would have to have NiMh due to the "dangerous" LiPo's being too much for his kids. I charged up and cycled both sets of packs on my iCharger 206B... the LiPo's lasted about 10 minutes longer and where cool to the touch. The NiMh's where hot to the touch, so we figured that a portion of the stored energy was converted to heat instead of run time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    There isn't?
    I have found otherwise...
    I haven't tested lipo against NiMh's but i have always thought that Lipo ran longer.
    On another thread they were saying that the NiMh's start losing volts right from the first pull of the throttle whereas lipo's because of how much it can deliver at once it uses less voltage therefore making it run longer than NiMh's...
    TEll me if am wrong Jimmie but thats what i thought?
    Also no one has answered my other question...
    Forgetting the ru time now but back when i bought the truck even after a few charges where the batt was given time to peak its voltage i still only ever got about 25mins crawling out of them and about 15mins bashing. others are getting way longer with the same batts (2 x 3000mah 7 cell 8.4v NiMh's)... does that mean the batts might have been stuffed when i got them?
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 11-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.

LiPo's do lose less voltage, but that has more to do with cell chemistry... not sure if it has much impact on run time.

RC Racer
    I havent but it sure felt like ages!, I'll time it next time i use it, i reckon at least 30 mins bashing on 2 x 5000mah lipos.

RC Qualifier
    I havent but it sure felt like ages!, I'll time it next time i use it, i reckon at least 30 mins bashing on 2 x 5000mah lipos.
    Oh yep that sounds good... that means probably around an hour crawling... wot do u reckon

A hour crawling on 2x2s sounds about right in my experience.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Venom has lifetime WARRANTY

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I have a venom 2s 60c 5600mah lipo
    It's a sport pack. I bought it yesturday. When I used it I broke the balence connector of because I forgot to unplug it. I don't like there style of connector. Get a normal one soldered on
    and that is Venoms fault that you didnt unplug the connector i have 2 and i love them i run my slash 45 minutes to an hour on my Venom 7.4v 2 cell 5000 30c and it is run hard

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    and that is Venoms fault that you didnt unplug the connector i have 2 and i love them i run my slash 45 minutes to an hour on my Venom 7.4v 2 cell 5000 30c and it is run hard
    Are they reliable... that is my main concern... i am not spending all this money on LIPO'f only for them to die or soemthing on me...??

RC Racer
    My 2S 5300 70/140C Venom has been excellent! though only had it for about 4 weeks, and about 30 mins run time all up