RC Qualifier

Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor

Has anyone upgraded to the Kershaw Designs DeWalt 820 single motor upgrade? Do you like it? Does it have more speed/torque than the Titan 775? Would you recommend for someone else to upgrade to it? Do you use Lipos? I would be using Traxxas 2C 7600 mah lipos.

Thanks,
    Clay

I'm running one...never had the Titan so can't comment. I'm running mine on lipos 2/2s. It's going pretty smooth .
    Rock n Rolla !

It's the dewalt 14.4v motor
    I have run one for a looooong time.
    It does much better when being fed lipo
    juice.It can be geared up some for a bit more speed,not brushless speed but not too bad.enough torque to pull stumps so to speak.and very hardy.a good proven upgrade as far as brushed motors go

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

It's not a KD Dewalt. It's just a Dewalt 396505-21SV 14.4V drill motor.
    From an earlier post of mine:
    This afternoon I was attempting to install a pinion on a Dewalt motor that had been prepped by Kershaw designs. (A subject for another day, but apparently their motor prep involves cutting the pinion gear off and making a flat spot in the shaft. This is good. But you are also paying for 14ga wire leads, one each + & -, equipped on one end with spade connectors that are slightly too large for the spades on the brushes, and with the cheapest Radio Shack looking bullet connectors on the other end, and which happen to be badly crimped.)
    What I didn't mention is the slice that was put in the face of the motor by whatever they used to remove the pinion. Having installed a couple Dewalt motors myself, I know how easily this can happen, but my slips were not nearly so bad, and I'm not charging for my services. I do give them points for doing a good job with making a flat spot in the motor shaft. I suppose the moral of all this is that if you buy the motor from them and not your nearest Sears store or local fixit shop, you'd do well to solder on your own wires and connectors. And inspect the motor for errant Dremel cuts.

The Dewalt is a bigger motor (820 vs 775) and it has more torque. Therefore it can be geared for a little more speed. Although I firmly believe that the Titan 775 is a good enough motor for the Summit, I would have to admit that the Dewalt is a stronger motor with some pluses. Like it's rebuildable (replaceable brushes) and it has bearings instead of bushings. The minuses are that it's not exactly a direct fit and that it is not prepped "out of the box." However, if you expect Mamba Monster system type speed and power, you will be disappointed. It is a bit smoother under load than that system, though.

Never used NiMH in my Summit. They were sold right away as I had a good stock of SPC Racing's LiPos on hand from my ERBE. The Traxxas 7600mAH LiPos are supposed to be very good too.

This is a VERY good tutorial with more than "twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph ... explaining what each one" is:
    My own Dewalt 14.4 Instal. LOTS OF PICS by pavmentsurfer.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-14-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Yes, what KSB said

I'd like to add that unless you plan to go to dual motors, there are a couple of slight minuses if you decide to go with the Kershaw motor mount.
    1) It raises the motor and therefore raises your COG. (a minus for crawling/climbing/cornering)
    2) You no longer have the stock Summit spur cover to help keep junk out of the spur gear. (not a major loss, just wanted you to be aware)
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 10-15-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    2) You no longer have the stock Summit spur cover to help keep junk out of the spur gear. (not a major loss, just wanted you to be aware)
    I've managed to use the stock cover with the DeWalt motor, not sure if was because of the spacer mod
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I've managed to use the stock cover with the DeWalt motor, not sure if was because of the spacer mod
    MK was referring to the gear cover used in conjunction with the Kershaw motor mount. Are you running that part?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    MK was referring to the gear cover used in conjunction with the Kershaw motor mount. Are you running that part?
    My bad...sorry I didn't read the first part about using the Kershaw motor mount ...I am running stock motor mount with the DeWalt motor.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Would I have to mod the stock motor mount? I dont have a Dremel, is it hard to do without a Dremel? I dont know how to solder wiring, is it hard?

Soldering is not hard but does take practice to do it well.
    I got my no name dremal for 9 bucks on sale few years ago.a good tool for Rc uses. A small round file will do it,just take a bit longer.
    The mount is aluminium,so not super hard material

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 11-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I know how to solder copper pipe, but I hear wire is a little different. LOL

Yes I believe so lol
    Torch vs iron. Sounds like a new comic book.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    Would I have to mod the stock motor mount? I dont have a Dremel, is it hard to do without a Dremel? I dont know how to solder wiring, is it hard?
    I used a couple of small files. A rat tail and a half round. You don't have to remove much so take your time and test fit along the way.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods