Thread: backyard track

backyard track

Finally got a chance to take some recent pics of our track today! Been a constant work in progress for 2 or 3 years now and has seen countless updates and design changes. Everything was done by hand and the dirt came from a few major holes dug in the woods (I'm talking holes big enough to bury a full-sized car in).

I also have a little video footage from today that I'll hopefully have uploaded by this evening. Not much action today. Just me and one other friend showed up, but it's enough to give you an idea of how the layout works.

We still have a lot of work to do by next spring, but I'm hoping to have all the new dirt layed-out along with the wooden sides built for the rest of the jumps. We're also gonna rebuild and expand the wall ride. It should cover the entire side of that eye sore of a camper trailer. The track started out a whole lot smaller than it is now and the wall ride used to cover the entire turn. It kinda fell apart after the past couple years and doesn't see a lot of action any more. But that's all gonna change next season. I also have some ideas to hide that old school bus in the back corner. Oh and a few hundred more feet of corrugated pipe.

Anyways, here's some pics:

RC Competitor
    looks good,that one jump looks big,but that makes it fun haha,what cars are you running and where in jersey are you

RC Qualifier
    looks like a sweet track, what are you running?
    Matthew 19:26

Quote Originally Posted by onetuffmj View Post
    looks good,that one jump looks big,but that makes it fun haha,what cars are you running and where in jersey are you
    Thanks! Yeah, one of the doubles is kinda huge. But it works really well with the steep vert. I'll post some older vids to help explain why it's a do-or-die style jump. It used to be an over/under section and that's why the jump is boxed-in the way it is.

We're in Millville in south Jersey. If you have anything electric 1/10th or smaller, you should come check us out. We run mostly 2wd short course, but there's also a handful of 2wd buggies and occasionally a few 2wd stadium trucks and some 4wd short course.

Cool track, looks like a alot of fun. By old school bus, do you mean that rusty thing on wheels in the 2nd and 3rd picture?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Cool track, looks like a alot of fun. By old school bus, do you mean that rusty thing on wheels in the 2nd and 3rd picture?
    That would be the one. To be honest, I can't even tell you how it got there. It's a friend of mine's property and there's some strange stuff around to say the least.

RC Competitor
    yea i have to come check it out,got a 4x4 pede,just got paddles on it right now cuz the stocks wobble like ,think there full of dirt but the summit just crapped out so that might get fixed first

*Watch the language, edit out any word that the language filter has replaced with **.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-18-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: language clean-up

RC Racer
    cool track.give the bus purpose and build seats on it.then you can bring in fans.I like the lights for night time racing.
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

Quote Originally Posted by troylynch View Post
    cool track.give the bus purpose and build seats on it.then you can bring in fans.I like the lights for night time racing.
    The lights are for Wednesday nights. That doesn't happen too much since the whole daylight savings thing. We did run this past Wednesday, but that was the first time in over a month. It's kinda hard to get motivated when it gets dark outside before we even leave work.

Got some more pics yesterday and finally a video that is forum friendly. Vid looks like crap, I guess because I uploaded it to photobucket. Gonna get my wife to put it on youtube or something so it doesn't look like an Atari game.lol

Only a few guys showed up because it's starting to get a little colder out now, but it was still a good time. I was running my SC10 (white and blue), another guy was running a VXL-powered Blitz (yellow) and the other is my old beater Slash with the Navy body. My buddy had to run it because his trucks are down for maintenance. He usually runs either a modded VXL Slash or brushless SC10.

I pulled a few good hack moves that I'm really proud of.

Some carnage!

And video. See if you can count all the pixels!

Last edited by harry697; 12-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Totally jelly bro!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Totally jelly bro!

Thanks..............I think.

Just found an older vid that a buddy uploaded. Kinda gives you an idea of how the track started out and how it's progressed over the past year. Lot's of work for one shovel.

Back then we were running stock Slash. I think we had 19-turn mod motors, geared very conservatively by this point because we got tired of replacing Titans every week. But the rest of the truck, tires included, was stock.

And yes, there is a beer keg and a toilet on the track. Don't ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqCQBQKf70

RC Qualifier
    I want... To run on it... With an rc car of course... You lnow driving... I think you get the point
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    I want... To run on it... With an rc car of course... You lnow driving... I think you get the point
    Not sure it's worth the 3,000+ mile trip, but come on over!

Here's another old video that you especially will appreciate.

http://youtu.be/P1B1c9ZEueM

RC Qualifier
    that's nice i wish i had a big ol' backyard like that to build a track on
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Racer
    I like the rustic high ramp turn at the camper,lol.very nice track.I did'nt see the caster block breakage in the video.did you hit a post or something or did the truck just have a bad landing?
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

Quote Originally Posted by troylynch View Post
    I like the rustic high ramp turn at the camper,lol.very nice track.I did'nt see the caster block breakage in the video.did you hit a post or something or did the truck just have a bad landing?
    I was taking pics when the Blitz broke. Pretty sure it was just an awkward landing.

The wall ride will be rebuilt and expanded by next spring. It's basically just a storage area for all the spare wood at this point. Would really like to push that old trailer into one of the holes out back and bury it, but it's not my yard. I'm thinking by the time we're done building the new ramp, you won't even know there's a trailer behind it. Should be huge!!!!

RC Champion
    Wicked cool track harry!!!

I'm going to have get back to work on mine when the snow melts.

I can't make off with any dirt locally so I keep hauling home chunks of cement from my landscaping jobs during the summer and then piling clay on the cement rubble.

Our garage used to be a green house and has 8 to 10 inches of clay covering the whole floor[45 feet wide by 25 feet deep] so I've got lots of clay. And our side yard is like 100 feet deep by 250 feet wide but I've got to leave the wife a bit of it for her garden,lol

And now I know what to do with my buddy's old camper, if he doesn't get it out of here soon,lol

We use the flat deck on my old truck for a driver's stand. Much safer when I'm driving one of my nitro trucks,lol.
    Last edited by MOPAR MARV; 12-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Not sure it's worth the 3,000+ mile trip, but come on over!

Here's another old video that you especially will appreciate.

http://youtu.be/P1B1c9ZEueM
    Awesome!! Is that with the same motor and esc that came with it?

Awesome!! Is that with the same motor and esc that came with it?
    Not sure. That might be when I was running an XL-5 speedo and cheapo HPI Firebolt 15T. The motor/esc that's currently in there runs even better.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure. That might be when I was running an XL-5 speedo and cheapo HPI Firebolt 15T. The motor/esc that's currently in there runs even better.
    Cool cause I plan to race it

Cool cause I plan to race it
    I still say that Checkpoint 19 was the best brushed motor I ran. Not the fastest 19. Maybe third or fourth fastest, but it was strong and super reliable.

Be sure to post some track vids!

I guess it's time to change my avatar.

RC Qualifier
    I will for sure. Why dont you put a pic of ur trx-3?

I will for sure. Why dont you put a pic of ur trx-3?
    I could swear that my buddy shot some footage of it over the summer, but I haven't seen it. Will get some up soon.

RC Qualifier
    I could swear that my buddy shot some footage of it over the summer, but I haven't seen it. Will get some up soon.
    Sounds great cant wait

RC Racer
    I wish I had a backyard big enough to do something like that. That looks like a pretty seet track!
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Maybe extend the pipe that leads into the wall ride. I noticed some cheaters in the video...

It looks super cool though!
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Racer
    thats a sweet track. needs bigger jumps and more straights. maybe drive on top of the rv
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    Maybe extend the pipe that leads into the wall ride. I noticed some cheaters in the video...

It looks super cool though!
    That's how we originally had it. The pipe went almost halfway up the wall ride so you had to go for it. Will be that way again, but we had to do away with it for now because the wall ride is too narrow since we expanded the track and it's also falling apart pretty bad after being exposed to the elements for the past few years. My buggy actually got stuck to it one day when a screw started backing out of the ramp and caught my under tray. I had to pry the car off of the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
    thats a sweet track. needs bigger jumps and more straights. maybe drive on top of the rv
    I would love to have bigger jumps, but we're kinda limited by space. And we're also trying to keep it kinda sane so that the slower trucks can still turn decent laps. When we started the track, we were running stock Slash only. There are a couple jumps that are already too big for the Titan to clear.

RC Champion
    WOw! That's an awesome looking track. Experienced track driving for the first time this week on a business trip (see my thread in the Pede forum). I'd totally love to drive that track. Now I really need to buy a place with some acreage... then I'll make my own track... yeah, I'll just keep dreaming for now...

at least my work has 20+ acres idle to drive on at lunch if I feel like bringing an RC truck!

Someday, though, I've got to get some land... part of it'd definitely end up an RC track...
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?