RC Enthusiast

E-Revo Brushed vs Brushless Question

Forgive me but I'm not to revo's. I'm looking into getting one, just not sure which one.

Ok, from what I understand only the Brushed version is waterproof. Does that mean I can put it in a swimming pool and not have it short out.. Or is it more water resistant. I'm sure many people have waterproofed the Revo brushless but, have they been as successful as having a brushed version? I would think the ESC needs air so it doesn't over heat.

Also. The only advantage of going brushless is speed?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advanced

I almost forgot.. Does the brushless not go into reverse? If not why not? I assume the brushed version does.

RC Qualifier
    Brushless has reverse.

Brushless has more power, it's maintenance free, and more efficient. You'll see longer run times with a brushless setup
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    castle is coming out with WP ESC, and here's a resemblance to your Q's http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-and-Brushless
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

If you plan on making your revo into a submarine, you should be aware that while it does say waterproof on the box and all the electronics, there have been many instances that it was put to the test and eventually failed. I think it should read that it is waterproof not submersible.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Both have reverse.... Speed & power difference is huge........

Brushed is water resistant. Brushless can be made water resistant but you can void the warrenty..

vid waterproofing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSmKAvHyEk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpSW50co
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the link humay. Because both have reverse I have decieded to go with brushless. As I only plan on driving in the snow and maybe and accessional water puddle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dociledragons View Post
    Thanks for the link humay. Because both have reverse I have decieded to go with brushless. As I only plan on driving in the snow and maybe and accessional water puddle.
    you take a big risk when doing it with a brushless truck ,because there can also be a heat issue for the ecs when you water proof the mmm . the waterproof mamba isnt out yet ,and if snow is all you really looking for try and outerwear cover

Or you could get a brushed system to throw on in the winter time, you wont need all that power in the snow anyway.

RC Competitor
    I also can't decide between the e-revo brushed or brushless, part of me is leaning towards the brushed just now because winter is coming and then buy a brushless system next year.

You have to consider though, that the brushless revo has stronger diffs and a few other upgrades to it. Its not just the motor and esc that is different.

Sent from my Torch!

RC Competitor
    I thought the diff's where the same?

Only differences I know of are:

Motor
    Motor plate
    ESC
    17mm hubs
    14mm wheels

RC Champion
    buy the brushed and buy a combo next year for that day the sun comes out in aberdeen.
    the diffs the same
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Competitor
    Cool, thanks for the confirmation. Ha yeah that lucky day/s when we get sun here in Scotland!

RC Champion
    I would buy the brushed and convert it later. Then you have your choice of Motor/ESC instead of having it handed to you and like it or not. Personally I dont buy new trucks as they never come the way I want them. I buy slightly used rollers and build them up from there, more cost effective and I dont end up with a pile of parts that will never be used.

RC Qualifier
    sorry i have had both and the brushed is no fun in the winter for lack of power the snow weights down the truck get a brushless and put a cover on it outerwear or something of your choice and go rip it up dont for get the paddle tire lol

RC Champion
    +1 for the roller contact mighty models in england, that's a decent place they might be able to help you out with something.
    you can get the dewalt motor instead of the 550's, which is a big improvement and still brushed.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I already have a parts off my Revo 3.3 which I am keeping for an E-Revo build, so a roller sounds like a good option, I'll look into what it'll cost me to do it this way.

I can get hold of a new E-Revo brushed for £400 which I could then sell the parts that I don't require, this could be another option for me.

Here is how I waterproofed my ESC; post #16...no issues, and it working just fine. Note* Doing this mod to your ESC will void your warranty.
    Rock n Rolla !

the Nitro 3.3 diffs doesn't have the H~beam, both E Revo(S) have the same diffs..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    I figured, b/c it's winter, I don't have to worry about the ESC overheating. As I said in a previous post I only plan on driving on/in the snow here in Northern Utah. But, with that said I was also considering getting a brushed motor just for the winter. The best deal I have found is 856.00 shipped W/ mamba monster and 2 3C 5000mah lipos and charger. Has anybody found a better deal???

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered the #5608l (two 3s lipos, 2 chargers, and telemetry sensors installed ) for 849.00 and that was the very best deal I found after searching for a long time.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by acidburn123 View Post
    I just ordered the #5608l (two 3s lipos, 2 chargers, and telemetry sensors installed ) for 849.00 and that was the very best deal I found after searching for a long time.
    where did you find that deal. ???