Thread: XL-10 & LiPos

XL-10 & LiPos

I looked for a better spot to put this, there is no sub-forum just for ESCs...

I'm running a used RC I just bought on a XL10 and 12T Orion. I don't know how much I am going to get into this kind of RC, so I don't want to dump too much money into it, I had this motor and ESC sitting on the shelf. I have a few packs through this RC and liking this style of RC, but I am using LiPOs (2S, 5000mha) and the XL10 does not have a LiPo cutoff. I know I get 20-25 minutes of life out of these batteries on my Slash 4x4, and 25-30 minutes in my Slash 2x4, so I am limiting my run times to less than 20 minutes; this is a RC that is built for racing and it is about half the weight of the 2x4 Slash. But, I would perfer a better protection than just monitoring time.

I bought a Novak Smart Stop kit from my LHS and just got done installing it. I verified my connections were wired up properly, no shorts and the (+) and (-) all match up correctly. I plugged everything in, and powered it on, everything looked like it was functioning properly, no problems. I ran the RC around for about 2 minutes in my computer room (8-15 ft), never getting over 5mph. The RC started acting funny and gltching like mad (using a DX3R), I pick it up by the back it and burn my fingers on the motor. Checking the temps: motor - 160, ESC - 150deg!!! Luckily the battery was still cool. I disconnect the Smart Stop and connect everything up with out and my temps never get about 100deg on ESC or motor performing the same driving.

I don't know if the Smart Stop is bad or if the XL10 just does not like having a LiPO cutoff attached to it. This is a short term problem, I'm liking this RC, so I will get an ESC and motor for racing, but, for now I will be running it with the XL10.

Is there any way to LiPo protect a XL10?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 11-17-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Novak Smart Stops do not work with XL-5 ESCs. The XL10 (I've run one) is pretty similar.

Get a programmable Low Voltage Alarm like this one from ebay and rum whatever LiPo you wish.

Alt-241 on the number pad = ±

SCHWEET!!! Thanks for the info, I'll see if my LHS has one when I return that Smart-Stop!

Venom sells a version for $9 or so. On ebay they can be as cheap as $2.74 for no-name but you have to wait for them to come from Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Novak Smart Stops do not work with XL-5 ESCs. The XL10 (I've run one) is pretty similar.

Get a programmable Low Voltage Alarm like this one from ebay and rum whatever LiPo you wish.
    This probably isn't very helpful for the OP's issue, but just for my own curiosity. Didn't the Smart Stop work with the older yellow xl-5 esc, but not the newer blue waterproof models? I seem to remember reading that back when I bought my first Slash. I could never find out what the difference was that would make it work with one and not the other, but seem to recall that being the case.

And does the Smart Stop cause the same kind of heat issues with the XL-5, or does it just not do anything?

From elsewhere:
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakTwo
    The Novak Smart-Stop 2S Li-Po Cut-Off Module (Novak #5470) is not compatible with the blue-cased Traxxas XL-5 ESC (Traxxas #3018X) that is included with the Traxxas Slash 1/10 2WD Short Course Racing Truck (Traxxas #5805). This module may or may not be compatible with the original, gold-cased Traxxas XL-5 ESC (Traxxas #3018).
    Mostly may NOT from what I recall.

However:
    Team Novak announces an all-new voltage cut-off module for use with 2, 3 and 4-cell LiPo battery packs. The Smart-Stop™ Auto-Detect Voltage Cut-Off Module 2S-4S (#5476) automatically detects the number of LiPo cells and adjusts to the correct safety voltage -- preventing damage to the battery pack and protecting your investment. This module is recommended for use with brushed or brushless ESCs, including Traxxas® ESCs, that do not include voltage cut-off circuitry.
    In any case, I believe the cutoff voltages to be much too low.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-18-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    This probably isn't very helpful for the OP's issue, but just for my own curiosity. Didn't the Smart Stop work with the older yellow xl-5 esc, but not the newer blue waterproof models? I seem to remember reading that back when I bought my first Slash. I could never find out what the difference was that would make it work with one and not the other, but seem to recall that being the case.

And does the Smart Stop cause the same kind of heat issues with the XL-5, or does it just not do anything?
    I did some research before I bought the Smart-Stop, I read somewhere that it didn't like the newer ESCs, but worked fine with the older ones like my XL10. The first thing I did when I found my temps really high was to check the wiring, make sure I hadn't crossed anything, but everything was wired up correctly. It might have something to do with how the Smart-Stop reads the voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

In any case, I believe the cutoff voltages to be much too low.
    That's not hard to believe considering the GTB I used to run had an extremely low cutoff. IIRC, 3.0 per cell or possibly less.