Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Thinkcooper's T-RCE based GT-8 Slash/Rally conversion/build

I'm smitten by the idea of a 4X4 road GT based on the Slash. My spin on this? Use a T-RCE carbon/magnesium chassis and an old school Porsche 930 shell from Deltaplastik, with as many bits and pieces to build a blingy, rock solid, fun to throw around Rally.

The foundation. T-RCE chassis. This is one of my five T-RCE chassis. The build is gonna use one that is still in a poly-bag, never assembled. It has some slight color shifting going on in the nickle plating on the magnesium bulkheads, but it's gonna get driven. The chassis below is a shelf queen but a good reference for the project.

These early photos are iPhone 4S, icky? yes, atop my very dirty commuter Scion.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    All my parts are in, as of this afternoon.

The build list:
    - T-RCE chassis
    - T-RCE standard width a-arms X4
    - Deltaplastik 1:8 scale Porsche 930 Turbo
    - XO-1 shafts
    - XO-1 hubs/carriers
    - XO-1 17MM wheel adapters
    - Tekno dogbone center shaft
    - Slipper with Robinson Racing steel 53T spur
    - Tekin RX8 Gen 2
    - Tekin Pro 4 HD 3000 kV
    - Savox 1257 TG
    - STRC steering kit
    - Losi SCTE shocks X4
    - e-Revo springs
    - Traxas aluminum F/R shock towers
    - Rally F/R bumpers
    - Stock F/R Differentials
    - Lunsford TI axles and turnbuckles
    - Sweep tires on 17mm zero offset Sweep wheels
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Shot last night:

The T-RCE Chassis kit

Piles of parts
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Looking forward to experimenting with these Losi TRCE shocks and the e-Revo springs.

I've started collecting photos of mid-80's Porsches to build some images to use for inside decals for headlights, taillights, grill details, door handles. I'll end up printing them and glue them inside the body before painting.

The Brumos look I'll be going for:

Here's the 930 shell atop the shelf queen T-RCE chassis with my stiff track chassis in the foreground and my long travel soft suspension chassis in the rear.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Putting the obsession into perspective

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    T-RCE specs out the servo steering rod at 1.870". I've built several rods now with a .440 ball end, and a Kyosho cup,, threaded onto a lunsford 1.25" turnbuckle, with a Traxxas short rod end. With the Traxxas rod end, I assemble a 3mm allen bolt through the normal steel end, and then lock that in place with a 3mm nut with enough threaded portion above the nut to thread into the steering arm. I hate fumbling with the rod end, a 3mm bolt, the steering arm and my allen driver. This assembly lets a tight fitting allen driver hold the bold and rod in place for fastening. Then I thread a ball onto the servo arm and snap the rod end cup onto the ball. Faster to do, than to explain...

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    It's going to be a nice build.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    It's going to be a nice build.
    Thanks man - looking forward to turning threaded bits. Tonight I'll break out the dial caliper to measure lengths on all the tie rods, and camber rods, then build up the lunsford turnbuckles and traxxas rod ends.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    BTW, Vipe, I have one of those orange Gordon #7 bodies as well. It's totally trashed these days, held together with gaffer's tape. :-) I stripped the speed decals off and ran my own stuff to customize it a little. It looks rough but still works for testing and bashing.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    Great parts! Can't wait to hear how the tekin runs in there! Hope some videos are coming.

RC Champion
    Yeah you know, the more I run that OEM Rally body, the more I really like the way it looks and feels on the road... I may have to get another one, one day. I was happy to see they still somewhat fit with the wider stance Protrac arms.

I'm still waiting for my Ti rods to come as well to replace my OEM ones that are near their limits.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Great parts! Can't wait to hear how the tekin runs in there! Hope some videos are coming.
    Thanks! I need to get a gopro for video. I've got a swank little Olympus OMD with a boat load of uber glass, but I hate shooting video with it. One of those new GoPro Hero 3+ Black would fit the bill. By the time this is built, I'll likely have one in hand to do some video. Where I'm really looking forward to shooting is in our local skatebowl.

This is walking distance from our house, and a great spot to work on jump timing, precise lines, and it super smooth and super fast. When I show up with the cars, the skaters sideline it for at least a battery pack to watch.

Not my video BTW...

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Yeah you know, the more I run that OEM Rally body, the more I really like the way it looks and feels on the road... I may have to get another one, one day. I was happy to see they still somewhat fit with the wider stance Protrac arms.

I'm still waiting for my Ti rods to come as well to replace my OEM ones that are near their limits.
    I love that you can specify lengths for the Lunsford turnbuckles and order the exact lengths you need. The Proline Protrac turnbuckles look to have a crappy plating on them that's more zinc than chrome like the stock Traxxas t'buckles. TI fixes all that.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Can't wait to hear how the tekin runs in there!
    I'll be three cars with Tekin RX8 ESCs, one with a new Gen 2 (this GT-8). Both the Tekin RX8 I and II are wicked easy to program with USB connection and a little app they've created. I like the consistency. A downside that'll get pointed out at some time or another? They aren't waterproof... But I live in Santa Cruz; we get rain so rarely, weather's not much of an issue. That said, I'm thinking of scoring a beater RX8 to waterproof following this method:

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Enthusiast
    where do you get that chassis from i cant find it anywhere. the TRCE website isnt even updated in a long time

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbenu View Post
    where do you get that chassis from i cant find it anywhere. the TRCE website isnt even updated in a long time
    I've been searching eBay using "RCE Slash" and TRCE Slash" over the last few months and picked up four of them. One was a two-fer with a bunch of spares and wheels in great shape, another was a 9/10ths condition roller that I'm using for track, another is the shelf queen. Then two weeks ago I found an unbuilt kit on RCTech for a great price. That's the kit I'm using for this GT8 build.

An FYI, there's a TRCE roller in decent shape for sale now on RCTech. I'd call it an 80% condition. Lots of spares. TRCE towers too. It's worth a good bit less than he's asking. One other thing, the TRCE website has spares for sale, enough to build a chassis. Jason is still actively filling parts orders.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...slash-4wd.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item43c0906b04
    Last edited by thinkcooper; 10-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Built up the TI tie rods and camber links tonight. Pulled these center to center dimensions off my stock Slash 4x4 platinum.

Tie rod 3.35"
    Camber link F 3.2"
    CL R 2.95"
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    No photos yet, but this bad boy's chassis and power train is all built. Details left to do: toe-in, camber, shock oil weight, servo link length and centering, then wire up the servo, and bind. then its on to the body. I might get time after a road bike ride today to shoot the TRCE GT-8's current state.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Time for some progress photos.

It's built, not finished, but together at least for basic body fitting and set-up tuning.

Nice side view of my set-up. The ESC switch placement is temporary, and the ESC will be repositioned once the receiver, 3S battery and set-up is final to balance the car.

Detail of the front end from above 3/4 #1. Need to trim the tie-rod, steering arm stainless bolt lengths to open up steering lock to lock travel. The Team Losi SCTE shocks look great in blue, with the red e-revo springs. Uber stiff, but I need to limit compression travel and bump with silicon tubing. I have a set of e-Revo GTR shocks as well in case I want to run a shorter/lighter shock. This is also the standard Traxxas Slash 4X$ AL/ano blue shock tower set. I have an XO-1 front if I can't get the body low enough.

Detail of front wheel set-up and Lunsford TI links. I mark the Left Hand thread side of the rod with blue for consistency during installation. This is also a reverse set-up for the rear shocks, to the rear of the a-arm for accessibility. The TRCE a-arms are identical side to side. Yay! XO-1 axles, 17mm XO-1 wheel mounts too.

Front view from down low. It want a very low, very stiff set-up for better handling. Camber and toe-in have not yet been set at all. Ride height is just to test at this point as well, but it will be low...

From the rear, same POV.

I'm running the 1.5 degree rear toe-in set-up with the XO-1 carriers.

More to come...
    Last edited by thinkcooper; 10-14-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    That is a fine looking machine! Seeing your shocks, makes me anxious to get my GTRs!

RC Racer
    That is a fine looking machine! Seeing your shocks, makes me anxious to get my GTRs!
    Thanks for the compliment. Knowing how to take a picture helps...

You have a set of GTRs coming in blue? Mine are the common anodized dark gray. They'll look fine if I go that route and use them, but the Losi and GTR blue is blingerific. I think I have enough height with the stock shock towers and Losis running limiters. But I want the option slamming the body even lower.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. Knowing how to take a picture helps...

You have a set of GTRs coming in blue? Mine are the common anodized dark gray. They'll look fine if I go that route and use them, but the Losi and GTR blue is blingerific. I think I have enough height with the stock shock towers and Losis running limiters. But I want the option slamming the body even lower.
    No my GTRs are coming in Hard Ano Grey with Red springs, but I have Red and Silver bodies... You see the theme of my Rally was to be Red, and Gunmetal until I had to swap out to the Blue XO-1 towers.. Now it's going to be a mish mash

RC Racer
    Some images with the body resting on the towers. The wheels are still whacked in terms of toe-in and camber, and the body (very roughly cut so far) is just resting atop the towers. Tweaking needed to center the wheels in the fender arches.

It appears that the body'll go low enough in the rear with the Slash towers, and there's room for the rally rear mounts and XO-1 body posts.

Same for the front. I have the option of running an XO-1 front tower and a set of short e-Revo GTR shocks/springs.

Man the camber looks atrocious, need to set that up better this week before selecting the final drill points for the mounts.

I like the view from the backside. The wing is gonna bring it all together.

Front/rear mounting position is gonna be a delicate balance between filling the arches and the cut and shape under the flares.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Again, what I'm using for a reference for the final body's scheme. This is a 935 with the big vented rear fender, and this kit is a 934ish shape. I'll be keeping the slab arches as mush as possible.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    It will look great! Your left rear and front right wheels are swapped, but then you probably knew that

RC Racer
    It will look great! Your left rear and front right wheels are swapped, but then you probably knew that
    To be honest, I threw them on quickly to test fit. But yep, you are right, the tires will need to be mounted on the correct corners to look right; unidirectional, symmetrical tread is designed to have the chevron facing forward for the squeegee effect. http://www.barrystiretech.com/direct...icaltires.html
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    That's okay, I've done it before too

RC Racer
    Trimmed the body today. Got some images of the cuts...

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    I like it!! You're making me want one of these too Coop!

RC Qualifier
    Great job. Love it. Thank you for taking the time out of your life to share with us.

RC Racer
    Great job. Love it. Thank you for taking the time out of your life to share with us.
    My pleasure! Thanks for saying that.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    I like it!! You're making me want one of these too Coop!
    You know that DeltaplastikUSA carries an M3?
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    This morning I was doing some testing with 1/8" CreateFX tape to mask out window trim that'll ultimately be shot black with my airbrush. The Deltaplastik bodies offer some awesome alternate choices for body styles, but they take the cheap route and don't furnish either window masks or decals. To create my own window masks and a black window trim, I'll lay down this 1/8" line of tape on the debossed edges around the glass, then trim airbrush frisket inside the tape edge (using the tape as my exacto knife cut guide), then lay another edge of tape outside the edge shown in the photo below, and remove the original tape line to create a clean gap I can paint black. At least that's the plan. I think/hope it's gonna work.

Last edited by thinkcooper; 10-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Today seems to be about graphics. I was able to build my inner body graphics using sourced images from the web and Photoshop. To get started I measured pulled the dimension of headlights, side lights, tail lights and center reflector off the body. Then I composited pieces from photos. Ultimately, I'll cut these out and glue them to the inside of the body prior to painting. Should be cool.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to use a Trce chassis.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that one before.. I like your 911 a bit more

Nice work on the tape and graphics, should look awesome!

RC Racer
    I'd like to use a Trce chassis.
    They are elusive, but do turn up. RCTech and eBay have been okay fro me. And T-RCE does have spares to sell from their website. It's an awesome chassis. Top notch. The only thing taht's more complicated than a stock Traxxas LCG chassis is pulling the back end off to change out spur gears. A few more screws need to be removed.

Yeah, I've noticed that one before.. I like your 911 a bit more

Nice work on the tape and graphics, should look awesome!
    Thanks man. Just pulled this print off the the Epson 7900 in our office. "I'm keeping the heads clean." Yeah, that's the ticket.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    The color on the headlight decal is too vivid. Time for a touch of desaturation and a new print out tomorrow
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Darn perfection, takes time, hey?!

Keep those spare in case I decide to do one of these

RC Racer
    Darn perfection, takes time, hey?!

Keep those spare in case I decide to do one of these
    Will do.

I won't be able to accomplish much more this week. I have this little event I do in Santa Cruz Friday night for a few thousand fans of fire and dance.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/san...anta-cruz-into

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)