RC Qualifier

Broke Babbys Budget Basher Build

Figured I would start a build thread for a project I have just recently decided to do. Build a Maxx on a minimum budget. Nothing special, just a cheap basher. I myself am curious as to how much a tmaxx can be had for if pieced together. Much of it will be built with original factory traxxas parts as those are typically the cheapest unless I stumble upon a deal. This build wont be fast being as I'm broke but will update when something happens.

I'm starting out with a spare chassis and wheel set I have laying around. Being as these parts are just in my closet as spares I have acquired, the beginning pricetag will be at $0.00.

This is how she sits...

Big Air Don't Care

RC Racer
    looks like a solid start.

RC Qualifier
    yeah i agree.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Qualifier
    have a lot of traxxas parts for sale for cheap. pm me. I have a whole tmaxx 2.5 dismantled ready to be sold.

RC Champion
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=290743639305
    Look at that link. There is lots of tmaxx penny auctions. Besides the engine you can probably build a new one for $50

RC Racer
    I'm pming you for myself. lol sorry babby but you might need to get a fuel tank elsewhere.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=290743639305
    Look at that link. There is lots of tmaxx penny auctions. Besides the engine you can probably build a new one for $50
    I am pretty sure that exact item and seller is where my chassis is from. Purchased that when I did my 2.5r build.

Quote Originally Posted by fbccars924 View Post
    I'm pming you for myself. lol sorry babby but you might need to get a fuel tank elsewhere.
    Ha. No biggie.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    Sorry fbccars but I am using the fuel tank. I meant to say that I had most of the parts

RC Qualifier
    Pm sent to babby.

RC Qualifier
    Can anyone direct me to some good better than stock quality servos? Keep in mind, cheaper the better.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Racer
    Personally I have had great luck with just a stock 2055 for the throttle brake servo. With that fairly weak servo I can still endo the truck with full brakes applied. For steering I would recommend a metal geared servo for sure. It may cost ore up front, but saves so many headaches. I always use Hitec servos in my maxx and buggies. The HS-625MG and HS-645MG are great servos. The 645 is the stronger of the two, but at the expense of speed, so you have to pick your poison. I have also heard great things about Savox servos, but haven't used them myself.

RC Qualifier
    Posted my current shopping list in the marketplace

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...TB-Tmaxx-Parts
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revomaxx2223 View Post
    Sorry fbccars but I am using the fuel tank. I meant to say that I had most of the parts
    Is all cool revo. I'm ordering from rc boca sunday.
    AIRTIME Woooooo (10 mins later) Down time dang

RC Qualifier
    First package arrived today. Purchased on Ebay. Complete front and rear suspension assemblies. They both are already assembled and came with RPM upper and lower arms at all 4 corners, RPM front and rear bumpers, RPM front and rear skids, steel axles, and big bore shocks all the way around. A steal for the pricetag. Still amazed bidding on both stayed so low.

The front assembly auction closed at $15.50 and the rear at $10.50. Shipping was $13.00 totaling $39.00.

Price on build is at $39.00.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    I still can't belive you got those parts so cheap off the bay, you defiantly caught a bunch of people sleeping on that auction!

RC Qualifier
    Stock extended chassis braces came today. Brand new. $2.99 shipped to front door.

Total is now at $41.99.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    OFNA Violator Tank came today. With shipping it was $15.51.

Build is now at $56.50.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Competitor
    I'm interested to see the total cost! Do you know what engine your putting in it yet?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxxaM View Post
    I'm interested to see the total cost! Do you know what engine your putting in it yet?
    The 3.3 is a likely candidate. The price is what gets me. I haven't had any problems with my 4908 with the 3.3. The 2.5r isnt enough umph for me.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    On a side note. The wife saw me opening the tank from the mail package and asked what I was doing now. I informed her I was building a new truck. Her response was "For me?". My answer, "Yep!"

She has no interest, just being a smartbutt. I can't wait to see the excitement in her face when my Merv gets here later this week...
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Enthusiast
    I see you took the pm you sent me a while back to thought lol

I know my total was a good chunk cheaper then a new one. I'll be following this thread to see what your total ended up to be

RC Racer
    You should research more before buying. I am also looking to replace my tank. I did a quick search and found one for $13.49 shipped. Could have save you 2 bucks. I've built many t-maxx from the ground up. In the end it's almost as much as it would be to buy it complete. That is if you use all new, or new take off parts. Shipping is what kills you.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxguy89 View Post
    I see you took the pm you sent me a while back to thought lol

I know my total was a good chunk cheaper then a new one. I'll be following this thread to see what your total ended up to be
    Now you see why I was curious. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by integyjato3.3 View Post
    You should research more before buying. I am also looking to replace my tank. I did a quick search and found one for $13.49 shipped. Could have save you 2 bucks. I've built many t-maxx from the ground up. In the end it's almost as much as it would be to buy it complete. That is if you use all new, or new take off parts. Shipping is what kills you.
    Your right about the shipping. I had seen them floating around on ebay around 13-16 shipped. When I finally pulled the trigger on the violator over stock tank, this was the cheapest available on ebay at the time. But I had seen them on there for 13 previously. Where did you spot the 13.49?
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Babby View Post
    OFNA Violator Tank came today. With shipping it was $15.51.

Build is now at $56.50.
    your gonna need the tmaxx 4910 front blue bell crank posts part number 4994 to mount the tank on.works great.thats what I used.i used one of the holes where the on/off switch box is and moved my battery to where the reverse servo would be and tie strapped it.so you will only need to drill one hole for the blue posts.search it on here wildman has a great pic of it.

RC Qualifier
    Got my screw kit from Tonys today. $36.55.

Total price tag now sits at $93.05.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Champion
    Nice steal on those front and rear ends. That saved almost $100.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Qualifier
    Ive begun assembling what I have and realized the screw kit does not come with the special screws for mounting the shocks to the towers. That sucks. Anyone have a part number?

EDIT: Found part number. TRA3642x.
    Last edited by Babby; 09-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Enthusiast
    hey BABBY , im from michigan myself , ive got a ton of traxxas parts , make a list or something of what you still need and ill see if i can help out ,., i do have a 3.3 for sale for cheap if intrested pm me

RC Qualifier
    Yeah same here I have way too much stuff so tell me and I can see what I can find!

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good guys. I will compose a list. Thanks. ZROZAK you have a PM.

Got a few small packages today which consisted of fuel line, battery and reciever boxes which both are complete, and the screws to mount shocks up. All brand new. The pricetag for these items came out to $16.86.

Total now at $109.91.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    I like your project Babby. I'm curious how low the final cost of your build will be.
    Are you using new/chop shop parts or combination new and used?

I built a 4910 using NIP parts and chop shop parts purchased from ebay.
    I tried to keep the cost down with bidding on items, combined shipping, comparison shopping etc.
    but when it was all said and done I actually paid more than a new RTR model.
    It was a fun experience though, and ulike the RTR 4910, my 4910 has a 3.3
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Im willing to use whatever i can get my hands on. Brand new parts can be had for dollars more than used so I have been going that way on much of it. The ultimate goal is to keep the price as low as I can, but at the same time, have a somewhat "new" truck at the end. My shopping list from here on out will most likely be all new. Just a matter of finding the cheapest seller.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    Got a 3.3 today courtesy of a local to me traxxas member, ZROAZAK1986. For the price of $55, I got the engine, with a pull start and clutch ready to rock and roll. Its missing the head protector and I will also need to get the proper motor mount. Compression seems great. I will dig into it and check it out more. Also included was an extra pull start, an ez starter assembly, and a spare ez starter motor. Great buy for $55. Thanks!

This is now sitting at $164.91
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Enthusiast
    glad your happy man , just retune the carb to factory settings and run her with 20% nitro , only issue i had with it was when i switched to a cheapo 15% nitro and couldnt tune it so i switched back to oddonel 20% ( sp ? ) and she ran great again , no need to open her up , sorry about the motor mount issue thow , i assumed it would work on your chassis , maybe someone would trade you for the one you need ?

RC Qualifier
    Got the head protector today. Was $4.44.

The investment has risen to $169.35.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    Got some parts coming in the mail shortly. I have since assembled everything for the most part. I recently purchased an HPI setup for my other Maxx so due to that, this trucks wheels/tires have been swapped out for the newer style stockers. Here is where the truck sits now followed by the HPI setup on other truck.

Big Air Don't Care