Thread: Steering gone

RC poster

Steering gone

Hello all,

I bought a mini E Revo (brushed) for my son two days ago. It's been driven for less than 3 hours, and now it won't steer. Any ideas what's gone wrong? It's not been driven hard (compared to some of the YouTube vids we've seen!) but has had a couple of flips. Is there a re-set button or anything? The front wheels just won't move when the controller is moved, but it does make a noise and the blue steering motor gets hot.

Thanks for any help.

You probably have stripped gears in the servo. If you can move the front wheels easily when the ESC is switched off, it's time to get a gear replacement set for a few bucks or upgrade to stronger servo.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Peter, what's an ESC? Sorry to ask, I'm a total newbie. Thanks for replying.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Electronic speed control.
    Unplug the battery and try to move the wheels
    Last edited by 50togo; 11-17-2012 at 12:45 AM.

50togo explained it. It is the blue thing with VXL-3m on it. You switch your car on and off there.
    If the wheels can move freely, that means there is no binding which makes it for the servo possible to do it's job.
    And if it still doesn't, it's probably broken. One of the plastic gears inside the servo will have lost a few teeth.
    The replacement set is Traxxas part #2082.
    If the car is still new, you can contact Traxxas for replacement.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Thank you everyone.

The wheels don't move much when the ESC is off..... if it is the steering servo, I'm not sure I want a new one from Traxxas if they only last a couple of hours! Is there anything around with metal gears?

RC Qualifier
    If it is only 2 days old, i would contact traxxas support to ask for a "RMA" your mini E-REVO is under warranty, and repairs will be free.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You could run into the same problems. Depending on the availability in your area Hitec makes a good servo I run a 5085mg

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Quebec View Post
    Thank you everyone.

The wheels don't move much when the ESC is off..... if it is the steering servo, I'm not sure I want a new one from Traxxas if they only last a couple of hours! Is there anything around with metal gears?
    There are quite a few metal geared servos available. The Hitec 5085 which has one plastic gear for $39; BlueBird 390 with all metal gears for $28; Corona DS238-MG with all metal gears for $8. All of these offer more torque than the stock servo, there are other options as well. I had bad luck with the Hitec 5085 servo, the plastic gear stripped rather quickly. I have a Bluebird 390 in one MERV and the Corona 238 in the other and they have been holding up great, you really can't beat the price and specs on the Corona 238 for only $8.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC poster
    Thanks all again!
    Because it's a weekend, and I am sure a replacement will take ages (to a young boy at least!!), I bought a replacement servo today ($29 plus tax!). After watching a couple of YouTube videos I worked out how to swap it over. The old one did not have stripped gears, but it did have two which had snapped. They are really flimsy aren't they!!
    Put the new one on, and the steering works fine.... but now the reverse doesn't work (well it does now and again, but usually not). I've done something wrong putting it back together... !!