Thread: Shock oil

RC Competitor

Shock oil

I am planning on using black springs up front, pink on the rear and putting 100wt oil in all the shocks.. My lhs think that running this set up will "blow out the shock".. I have done some research and even seen a MERV in action running this but am not sure if they were using stock shocks or not.. thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by weaponx2121 View Post
    I am planning on using black springs up front, pink on the rear and putting 100wt oil in all the shocks.. My lhs think that running this set up will "blow out the shock".. I have done some research and even seen a MERV in action running this but am not sure if they were using stock shocks or not.. thanks
    You will almost definitely blow the lower caps off the stock shocks with 100wt. oil. Hot Racing makes some nice shock bodies with a thread lower cap that are nice improvement over the stock shocks.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Enthusiast
    That's how I run weaponx. and I do skatepark bashing and my shock don't even leak. Im talking HUGE jumps to concrete.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I run it like that with softer springs. People told me it would pop off. It didn't.

RC Competitor
    Guess I'll just give it a try.. if all else fails i could just super glue the bottom cap on.. if that don't work it will give me an excuse to buy new shocks.. lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by weaponx2121 View Post
    Guess I'll just give it a try.. if all else fails i could just super glue the bottom cap on.. if that don't work it will give me an excuse to buy new shocks.. lol
    Yup, might as well get what you can out of them. I started blowing the lower caps off with 80wt. oil after a few weeks but i was jumping it 15-20 feet up in the air and 40 feet in distance. I glued the lower caps on and ran the stock shocks for quite a while then got the HR bodies. Have fun.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Competitor
    Yeah i probably won't be jumping that high.. Just want some better handling. Even on small jumps it tends crash.. i am hoping that with this set up it won't land as hard..