Thread: aluminum tranny

RC Racer

aluminum tranny

thinking about getting the alum. tranny to help with motor temp.my question is if I get one with 4 degrees of toe in built into it for help with control of my rustler on dirt tracks,how will it effect my interest in bashing on asphalt? Troy
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

The main issue with that much toe in is tire wear. It will handle well on asphalt but it will eat up tires really fast with 4 rear toe in. I am assuming you are talking about the FLM tranny and if so I would suggest the 1 arm mounts UNLESS you are building a dedicated track only Rusty for some serious racing action. 4 is IMO just too hard on tire wear.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I was afraid thats what I was going to hear.I guess it's 1 until I have more than one truck.thanks for the quick reply.

You can always buy two sets or arm mounts. Put the 4 mounts on when at the track and the 1 when running on pavement.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You can always buy two sets or arm mounts. Put the 4 mounts on when at the track and the 1 when running on pavement.
    I cant find any arms with more than 1 built in.thats why I was looking at the tranny case.

Quote Originally Posted by troylynch View Post
    I cant find any arms with more than 1 built in.thats why I was looking at the tranny case.
    Again assuming you are talking about the FLM case they offer arm mounts with 1 or 4 of toe in. You would use the same stock suspension arms but the mounts the arms attach too are separate pieces from the FLM case so you can switch back and forth from 1 to 4 by swapping the arm mount.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Again assuming you are talking about the FLM case they offer arm mounts with 1 or 4 of toe in. You would use the same stock suspension arms but the mounts the arms attach too are separate pieces from the FLM case so you can switch back and forth from 1 to 4 by swapping the arm mount.
    I understand now.I thought that the mounts were cast into the tranny,I did not realize they were seperate pieces.I'm a little slow sometimes,hahaha. thanks

RC Qualifier
    I think the 4tec bearing carriers offer some degree of rear toe-in also (1.5 maybe) in addition to the 1 arm mounts may be a happy medium for you. But still have some tire wear though.

FLM offers two different A-arm mounts, the 1degr, and 4degree, so it's your choice. I've only used the 1degree mounts and you can sort of see the toe-in on the Slash far left.

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...