RC Champion

soldering help PLEASE

I have to solder the battery connection on. I have a GOOD iron and have done it before. After some youtube research I think I am doing it wrong. I don't want to turn a simple job into a nitemare.

traxxas emaxx
    Have you tried to solder it yet

RC Champion
    Any pics of your situation?
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    No I have not tried yet Just looking for input to not do it wrong. need to solder male traxxas connector and just want to get it right the first time with no problems.

RC Champion
    I use a piece of foil over the end I don't want soldered.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

I put tape over the wire not being soldered. Then be sure to insert the soldered wire into the proper side of the connector housing to make sure the wires don't touch. You can do it!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    What I do is just cut one wire at a time. Cut the negative side off, solder the tab on, stick it in the Traxxas connector, then do the other wire. That will keep your wires from touching and shorting out the battery.

RC Champion
    OP said he was soldering a male connector, hopefully not on a battery!

Good hot iron, lead fre silver solder. Tin the wire first then put the iron about halfway between the end and the mark for no solder and heat up the connector and touch the solder to it until it tins the connector. Ease the tinned wire in there and slide the iron back holding it at a 45 so it contacts the connector and the wire. Takes me like 30 seconds per connection. With solder less is more, dont go by the bigger the bolb the better the job standard. If you cant get it to heat up enough to melt the solder and tin the connector in a few seconds your iron is not hot enough and you will end up with a cold solder joint. Way to tell is if its not shiny when you are done its a cold joint and will break.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    OP said he was soldering a male connector, hopefully not on a battery!

Good hot iron, lead fre silver solder. Tin the wire first then put the iron about halfway between the end and the mark for no solder and heat up the connector and touch the solder to it until it tins the connector. Ease the tinned wire in there and slide the iron back holding it at a 45 so it contacts the connector and the wire. Takes me like 30 seconds per connection. With solder less is more, dont go by the bigger the bolb the better the job standard. If you cant get it to heat up enough to melt the solder and tin the connector in a few seconds your iron is not hot enough and you will end up with a cold solder joint. Way to tell is if its not shiny when you are done its a cold joint and will break.
    thank you for the info.

RC Competitor
    I use a Snap-On portable butane soldering iron. Same model as the one I use on the job, soldering wires on real cars. The one I use on RC wiring is actually my dad's since mine's at work and his is here at home. Gets good and hot, good and quick.