Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

TheDreadedends Summer SC Racer

I'll get a list up on what's in it but for now, here's what im working with. Sl4sh, CC SCT 2400kv, 3s, 17mm 1/8 buggy wheels, losi ten shocks, XO1 knuckles, hubs, sscvd's hexes, flow-teck body.

I'll also put up some better pix when I put the fins on in the morning. The lighting will be much better too.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    looks awesome, love that paint job!

RC Racer
    have the same tires and i love em, but not a lot of people know about them

That is a great paint job! How did you do the carbon fiber look?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    nice paint job. i like the carbon fiber look. i've always wanted to do it, i'm just skeptical on actually doing it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That is a great paint job! How did you do the carbon fiber look?
    They sell sheets of it, its a decal.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

Yup, im a sticker "user" lol. I do plan on trying one or more of the painted carbon looks but I just haven't had the ambitious on top of taping and all the other steps. Here's some finished pix .... well, still need to hit the edges and the air vents with a dermal. Also, I plan on putting an rce chassis under it too. I will fine tune this thing for the strongest, most capable racer I can for the indoors end of season and the summer outdoor series. Im very excited to get back on the weekend racing schedule! Win or loose, we have some awesome weekends in Connecticut. So RCE, protrac, mip, more buggy wheel/tire combos are on the short list. Street and dirt ability is in the longer, extended list for the next few weeks.

RC Champion
    Dread that just looks great

Gthank you Apex, I started this body last night with absolutely no direction! Didn't have any thought come to mind fir hours of contemplating sowing scheme. I wanted something race oriented, but not the topical race look with pointy pinstripe lined colors or other common seen trucks. I did have a bunch of paints... about 20 colors to choose from. The hard part was getting the colors down in my mind as a definite. Then, after cutting and prepping 3-5 mask sets, I just started taping things off. Even as the blue went on, I still didn't know what it was gonna be.

RC Champion
    I might have to pick up some sc tires for the proline protrac wheels that came with my arms, and pick up a legit sc body to try out. All my buddies are going to run a sc class so i might as well be ready. Again great job!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    I'll get a list up on what's in it but for now, here's what im working with. Sl4sh, CC SCT 2400kv, 3s, 17mm 1/8 buggy wheels, losi ten shocks, XO1 knuckles, hubs, sscvd's hexes, flow-teck body.

I'll also put up some better pix when I put the fins on in the morning. The lighting will be much better too.
    have you run it on 3s yet?
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

We're on the same page, friends have been taunting me to race lol. I will always be down for the outdoor but inside is usually not my deal. Giving it a good try though.
    TraxxasFTW, yup, 3s and 4s is all I really run.. come on down here! We'll be racing till around 1am.

RC Racer
    I love how the trucks look, and feel with the buggy wheels. Unfortunately they are prohibited at the track here. Must run sc wheels and tires.

Got my chassis tonight! Woo whooo!

well, the night just rapped up for me. I got fought up in a mess in the first lap, I needed 2nd or better to continue. By the end of our 5 minutes, I was up to 3rd. Heck of a good time with or without the win.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.

RC Champion
    sweet, must assemble now! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    sweet, must assemble now! lol
    Im just leaving the track, but my thought exactly lol.

Well, I just left RCE, picked up some hardware plus I took a few pix while I was at it. Wanna see, ya you do lol. First of, I would like to say that the guys are great people! To let me take some pix is extending a great cutesy to us all interested. This shop also machines aviation parts and its a very competitive field. I was allowed to take a few pix with instructions of what can be seen for the shops best interest in mind. I took a few pix consisting of rc only, not much content but still interesting. First pic is the work bench (r&d). Here you see a new chassis in assembly and a full build that is Matt's track truck. Also some boxes full of rce parts on the shelfs. Those are the parts in order, so they can line it up and package away. The fun moments leading to an RCE chassis's design and finished products all started right here.

Next up, a cnc in process. Its cutting out motor mount blocks while my girlfriend and I were watching. It was a treat to see it happening infringement of me!

I couldn't get a pic while it cuts because of the oils blowing all around while it cuts... looks like this lol

And the last pic I'll be able to share with you is a pic of machined tower components, motor mounts, and a few other rce parts. They are straight up magnesium, just one step away from getting a nickel plated finish. The quality of the pic isn't the best, I had to crop put some aviation parts close by.

Alright, I would love to say thanks to Matt and Jason for inviting me down to the shop. I also feel lucky that I could walk out with my phone and pix lol (special thanks for that!) These guys bloomed me up with extra hardware, Tekno guards and a great time for me and my lady too. I got a peak at some product in research stages, all bolted up and being used. Also some friendly advise for future builds, things that will come into play later in this build. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I will have some of the firsts that will be available soon. I'm gonna get busy and put my truck together so I'll update with pix later today. Enjoy!
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-17-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Here's what RCE hooked me up with. Not the rx box but I got the rest last night and today. Lots more too, diffs casings, towers, a arms...Matt gave me a ton of extra screw, washers, stand offs and he wasn't using the Tekno guards so he just gave them to me, thanks Matt!

Here's where I left of a while back, trying to get a universal mount with Velcro. Has anyone done something like this yet? I would like to here and see your experience with other mount methods.

I will be padding the edges to suport the sides of the battery.

RC Champion
    We're on the same page, friends have been taunting me to race lol. I will always be down for the outdoor but inside is usually not my deal. Giving it a good try though.
    TraxxasFTW, yup, 3s and 4s is all I really run.. come on down here! We'll be racing till around 1am.
    what track?

RC Madness, Enfield, Connecticut. Its one of the best rc environments in all New England. 5 tracks, 2 rock courses and its all free. I go down just to set up my trucks, practice, bash, or just to build my trucks with direct access to parts. Some of the best rc experiences I've had were right there. I realize how close you are to RC excitement but the people around you, CC staff, TeamRCE, some of the stars in rc racing, all grouped up under the same roof or out in the yard. We have a big bbq every year, as soon as a date is set, I'll give you a heads up. That's an awesome day too.
    I looked up the trip for ya.... Holden to Enfield is 60 miles. You would take all the highways on the way and it would be about 1 hour ride.

I think I need to change my pants. that looks FANTASTIIIIICCCCC! Awesome dread. One of the best painted SC bodies I have ever seen. That carbon fiber detailing looks imaculate, and terrific. Very impressive. Did u paint that carbon fiber that way?

That kit is also SICK. finely crafted work of art indeed, and their instructions really well written. Look forward to seeing it all together.

Thank Loot! Making you say wow is a tough thing to do lol. I now how you like your fine touches with a pristine build, and that all adds up to a beauty of a truck. So, your post made me laugh and smile. Words like that make me feel like im getting something done here! I do hope people read and get inspiration, maybe the first time seeing a cool build. But after reading, I hope members and visitors alike feel they viewed a one of a kind.

RC Champion
    RC Madness, Enfield, Connecticut. Its one of the best rc environments in all New England. 5 tracks, 2 rock courses and its all free. I go down just to set up my trucks, practice, bash, or just to build my trucks with direct access to parts. Some of the best rc experiences I've had were right there. I realize how close you are to RC excitement but the people around you, CC staff, TeamRCE, some of the stars in rc racing, all grouped up under the same roof or out in the yard. We have a big bbq every year, as soon as a date is set, I'll give you a heads up. That's an awesome day too.
    I looked up the trip for ya.... Holden to Enfield is 60 miles. You would take all the highways on the way and it would be about 1 hour ride.
    yeah let me know about that big BBQ is it at the enfield track?

I didn't get the truck done, wanted to but need to keepnsome piece in the house too. My girlfriend got a movie ........yay...... so I'll be up around stupid o'clock getting the truck finished up for noon time. I don't want to wait a week to get in the competition, so I hope I can finish. I left off with a full roller. Just gotta add my electronics and im set. I may or will be spending time at the track tuning this week. Im expecting some awesome results with it as is. Then, after some shock work, sway bar adjustment, and a bit of camber/toe tweaks, I hope to be faster than the competition. Here's a couple pics of the roller.

RC Champion
    I didn't get the truck done, wanted to but need to keepnsome piece in the house too. My girlfriend got a movie ........yay...... so I'll be up around stupid o'clock getting the truck finished up for noon time. I don't want to wait a week to get in the competition, so I hope I can finish. I left off with a full roller. Just gotta add my electronics and im set. I may or will be spending time at the track tuning this week. Im expecting some awesome results with it as is. Then, after some shock work, sway bar adjustment, and a bit of camber/toe tweaks, I hope to be faster than the competition. Here's a couple pics of the roller.

A big tip from a touring car racer. Use some ca glue and q tips and glue the edges of your chassis and upper deck, this helps keep the chassis from fraying and cracking during wrecks. Trust me it makes a huge difference.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, great looking truck. I see that you use 17 mm adapters, do they get loose at all? Mine get loose all the time.
    Hope you finish the truck by now.

I never had issues with my adapters. I use a cap of locktite, it holds till I put a wrench on it. All 3 sets are traxxas adapters too. I'm hitting a hardware store and then the track, so I will fill you all in on the performance soon.

Done! Just a few lil touches left to clean it up a bit more like, wire cover, 2 long screws for 3s, ext.

I'll put some more up with the lid later, see ya soon!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice dread that is one clean look'n truck. I bet that LCOG will make it awesome on the track for sure. The carbon fiber really puts the finishing touches. Let me know how she handles.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Took the truck out for some street action last night, couldn't hold out anymore lol. So I must have done some damage to the rx cuase I got about 100 feet away and the truck was locked in at half throttle. It just kept going till it met up with a curb. No damage, I was running the 2400 on 2s just because I know I'll go nuts with it if a drop a 3s in. Last this.g I need is a ton of gouges or cracked carbon in my first run, before hitting a track lol. I added some RCE decals to rep the awesome chassis. I e got to get into the shocks, change oils and springs. Hope that gets it tight on the track. Right now its got really heavy wt. in it for bashing, + the truck was heavy too. I'll update after some track time, let fu all know how it performs. I know I got 3rd after many months of no racing so I hope to be in the lead after adding this chassis and some much needs practice. I've got 3 tracks/lhs to hit on a weekly schedule so let's see if I can get a groove on all of them. My strength is on the dirt and clay, years of hard and fast bashing have given me a crazy combo of race style. I'm lucky enough to be able to through some drift in and sweep long corners with control. Its really cool to here a well rounded competitor say "that was sick". Well, I'll let you fellas know how it goes.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.

RC Champion
    Did you ever seal the edges of the graphite with ca glue? It goes a long ways to strengthening the chassis and prolonging its life.

I haven't but I'll get it done today. I do find that piece of info valuable, and will certainly apply it. Again thanks very much!

RC Champion
    Yea woven graphite is stronger than lamenanent. Not sure which you have. But the glue can help keep the layers from seperating. Electric touring car kits are 400$+ for the xrays i used to race. And a replacment chassis was 80-90$. I cracked one chassis in the front and ive been glueing them since and never had an issue again. That truck looks nice, if i consider racing i just might have o pick that chassis up.

Thats way sick for sure. I really like that chassis. It also looks real strong. Very nice Dread.

This truck handles like a dream! Im thoroughly impressed and see many wins in my future. I've practice for the last 3 days and man, im ready. I've also installed all new electronics from the rx to the esc/motor combo. Think I'll be running the 3800 for all my 2s racing and the 2400 for the psycho class with 3s. 4s was just to much for even the outdoor track.
    I've noticed alot of people running this chassis are also running a modded antenna mount. Not sure if some didn't figure it out but the servo block has one build in. I still haven't seen a RCE chassis put together with this spacer/servo block installed correctly. Most I've seen have it spun around to the inside, then you can't put the antenna and tube in it ....??? Andy reason im not seeing why people choose not to use it?
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-22-2012 at 01:13 AM.

I just finished off my decals and also cleaned up the chassis layout, wires and placement. As I said, I desided on the 3800kb with a pro esc. Lots of my friends want a piece of me so I'll get in with them for a few weeks. After next weeks trophy race, the door is wide open for some all out 3s racing on our outdoor track and I'll change it my combo then. So I thought I would show you guys my final set up for the races. The truck looks great and performance is just nuts! I could be happier (lol always room for improvements like protrac this weekend) but other than that, im ready as it gets! So here's what were working with. Oh, the decals....... im trying to represent what's in and on the truck. Except for rpm. Rpm and I will never be friendly again and as soon as my bumpers are in the mail, rpm's are gone! Same for the arms.... going with RCE full kit soon but first protrac gets a shot. So either way, RPM can take a hike!!!

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-G-ApTcrZ4B8/T2s4ONkSMSI/AAAAAAAAAG4/w8A90ngYLsY[IMG]

Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-22-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Last night was a blast! I stayed till 10pm, got tons of time on the carpet. Burned up a pair of tires but its all good cause these puppies were only $25 a set. Got some awesome news today too, I called to see if the track layout was getting changed today, Nope. Its gonna stay till next friday morning so we should have some awesome racing! 150-250 people been on the track for 3 weeks. It'll make some tight competition for sure. I'll be there at 3 for practice, races a 6:30. Wish me luck fellas, im repin Traxxas, Promatch, TeamRCE, and RC Madness!
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.

RC Champion
    How did you tune your shocks thedreadedend? Did you add any fuel tubing to the inside? I just got some losi scte shocks for my Anza Slash and they seem to raise the truck up a bit, so I was wondering what you did with yours. Thanks
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

I bored the piston holes out with a body clip. Made it a bit more free flowing. Also went with a 27.5wt fluid. You could swap your springs over to a silver (soft) spring for these shocks, only $8 or so. I would do the spring change first. That's what will affect the ride hight. Then oil if you need something with a softer feel but I would imagine the stock oil will suit your needs. Let me know how it goes. I'll take a look at your thread if you drop a link for me.
    I just got in from the races. Not as "cut and dry" easy as I hoped. I ended the night in the b-main, darn! Finished 3rs in b, needed a 1st or 2nd to move up to a-main. Sunday is a trophy race... I'll be there! Hoping to go further and take home some keepsake lol.