Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

F150 Raptor build

I'm working on making this a backup for when my Slash 4x4 is down...which happens a lot. I got started with rc cars when I saw this Raptor for sale. So far it has cc 5700 kv motor, Sidewinder SV2, lots of blue rpm, Traxxas bearing carriers, hot racing front sway bar (I need to figure out how to install the rear one), MIP dog bone cvds, 2x5300 30c 2s speedpacks, 2x5000 25c 3s spcracing lipos, big bore shocks, outerwears pre fllter and aluminum hubs. I have a Slice a3 lcg chassis, aluminum motor mount and aluminum adjustable towers/body mounts coming in the mail. I'm thinking of switching to 32p gears but I'm not sure yet. I do race the truck at a local track.

Brand new!

First time at the track

after 2 weeks it was looking rough..

Time for upgrades and new body! I ordered a Slice a3 but received a Slice 4x (4wd version) I ended up putting the 4x on my wifes Slash 4x4 and I'm waiting for the A3 to come in the mail. I'm going to Rit dye the grey rear bumper supports black.

Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 01-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Sweet build man
    Where did you pick up the body?
    and hope you dont mind me asking how much?

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome build! Details on the net over the chassis???

RC Champion
    Thanks! The first body came with the truck and the new red and blue ones I picked up from a guy on ebay for 59.99 apiece. I like them a lot since they look like a regular truck. That is the outerwear's chassis filter that keeps out dirt, debris and water while allowing airflow to keep things cool. hopefully i can make it work when the lcg chassis come in.
    http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202591

RC Champion
    well the 5700kv motor bit the dust on it's first day of running I had a 3s in and was just driving around in a parking lot. It didn't make it through one pack.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    well the 5700kv motor bit the dust on it's first day of running I had a 3s in and was just driving around in a parking lot. It didn't make it through one pack.
    I was considering getting the MMP with NC 1406 5700kc motor and possibly a 3s lipo pack is it safe to run that motor on one of those packs? i am aware that the esc can handle up to 6s but is the motor capable of running safely on 3s?

RC Champion
    I'm going to call cc support in the morning to see what's up. I called them to find out what they thought was the best motor for the 2wd slash and the guy said 5700 on 2s. I never asked about 3s and I didn't plan on running one in the truck but I wanted to show some friends the difference in power. it says 3s max on the motor fwiw.

RC Champion
    So the 5700 is only supposed to use 3s on 1/10th sedans not sc trucks.
    the original speed controller and motor from this truck were broken so I sent them in for an upgrade and I received the Vxl system today. I was going to use it in my Wraith but I installed it in the raptor since the motor has been sent off. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it in the 2wd truck. I'm going to take it with me to the track this weekend to test it out more extensively.

RC Champion
    I'm no expert, but I've seen a lot of people recommend staying away from motors higher than 3800kV because of heat issues. The speed you can make up for with gearing. Still, I have a 2WD slash with the CM36 2-pole 5700kV motor and it runs great on 2S, but I've never tried running it on 3S. I just bash, not race also. Just my $.02. Might only be worth $.01!

Good luck with CC. They swapped out my 3800 4-pole when I had issues. It just took a couple weeks.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    I'm no expert, but I've seen a lot of people recommend staying away from motors higher than 3800kV because of heat issues. The speed you can make up for with gearing. Still, I have a 2WD slash with the CM36 2-pole 5700kV motor and it runs great on 2S, but I've never tried running it on 3S. I just bash, not race also. Just my $.02. Might only be worth $.01!

Good luck with CC. They swapped out my 3800 4-pole when I had issues. It just took a couple weeks.
    what gearing you running. i got the 2 pole 4600 kv cc with mmp, and i'm trying to find good gearing for 2s
    I GOT A NEED FOR RC SPEED
    MMP SL2SH

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, 5700 kv on 3s huh? My general thoughts are you want a setup that does ~40k rpm. There's room for error, plus or minus 5k is fine.

5700x11.1=63,270 rpm. Yup I'd expect heat with that one.

5700x7.4=42,180 rpm, exactly what castle recommended too...

I use a low rpm setup. On 3s I'm turning just under 30k. But I've got one of the faster trucks.... food for thought.

RC Champion
    I'm learning every day. I won't be putting a 3s on the 5700 again. I took the Raptor to the track today with a vxl system installed and I had a blast! I don't think I was ever able to get full throttle. I can't wait to get the lcg chassis for it!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelneckrc View Post
    what gearing you running. i got the 2 pole 4600 kv cc with mmp, and i'm trying to find good gearing for 2s
    I'm running 19/90 gearing on 2S LiPo with the 2 pole 5700 kV. Have never raced it, just bashing, but it keeps up just fine with my friend's Slash on 3S with the 4 pole 3800 kv cc sidewinder setup running stock gearing, if that helps.

Of course, it's all about to change - just ordered the MMP with 4 pole 3800 kv to put on the Slash, will move 2 pole 5700 setup to my Rustler and 4 pole 3800 sidewinder setup to my Stampede. Still running 2S all the way around. Pede and Rusty will be tuned down for my kids to run. CC ftw! SPC lipo ftw!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    Wow great looking truck congrats. Oh BTW i have that same tv i love my samsung! Does anybody have a part number for a painted RAPTOR body i want one for my 2wd slash THANKS
    Last edited by MAYHEM6969; 01-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    I BLAME ALL THIS ON POPOXX!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Wow, 5700 kv on 3s huh? My general thoughts are you want a setup that does ~40k rpm. There's room for error, plus or minus 5k is fine.

5700x11.1=63,270 rpm. Yup I'd expect heat with that one.

5700x7.4=42,180 rpm, exactly what castle recommended too...

I use a low rpm setup. On 3s I'm turning just under 30k. But I've got one of the faster trucks.... food for thought.
    i like the low rpm setups to im running a 4s setup with a tacon 3660 1800kv motor =26640 rpm 21/50 gearing rus cool and still fast with the low rpm setups you have more gearing option
    EMAXX 1480kv 6s
    RUSTLER 2150KV 4S

Nice build! Love how u got it all at a time. Very cool. Think itl look real good with a body that goes along more with the blue. Like white, black or painted up a grey one or somethin. Great job !!!

RC poster
    What stand is that?

RC Racer
    that looks like the duratrax stand.

Have you installed the rear sway bar yet. and do you see a noticeable difference with them.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sstumpf View Post
    that looks like the duratrax stand.

Have you installed the rear sway bar yet. and do you see a noticeable difference with them.
    Awesome, thanks!

RC Champion
    thanks! I'm thinking about rit dying the blue rpm parts black. I use the blue raptor body when at the track so it matches then...I don't have a part number for the body but there are some on ebay. Wow 4s in a 2wd slash! I bet that's a handful!

I did the traxxas upgrade on the motor and speed controller that came with the Raptor and I have put it in since the 5700 was sent off. I'm pretty happy with the power that it has on 2s. I will try 3s tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the Slice A3 lcg chassis but I did get some other parts in the mail this week. I got the integy tranny case, integy shock mounts with carbon fiber body mounts, tekno axles and proline street fighter and trencher tires with split six beadlocks. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but I have the Robinson Racing 32p slipper.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    thanks! I'm thinking about rit dying the blue rpm parts black. I use the blue raptor body when at the track so it matches then...I don't have a part number for the body but there are some on ebay. Wow 4s in a 2wd slash! I bet that's a handful!

I did the traxxas upgrade on the motor and speed controller that came with the Raptor and I have put it in since the 5700 was sent off. I'm pretty happy with the power that it has on 2s. I will try 3s tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the Slice A3 lcg chassis but I did get some other parts in the mail this week. I got the integy tranny case, integy shock mounts with carbon fiber body mounts, tekno axles and proline street fighter and trencher tires with split six beadlocks. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but I have the Robinson Racing 32p slipper.

i run onroad and my setup is only turning 26640 rpms and i have my setting set mild 60%punch, 3 degrees timing, start power low,torque control 9% its not bad at all this is my favorite setup off all
    EMAXX 1480kv 6s
    RUSTLER 2150KV 4S

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow... lots of aftermarket on that Slash...

I like the front body mounts, the springs are a cool idea.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    I like the front body mounts, the springs are a cool idea.
    Like in the old SledgeHammer...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    looking very cool. I'm a fan of the raptor body myself....even though i'm a chevy guy!!
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

RC Champion
    Well I got the Slice A3 installed and ran it for a few minutes tonight! I recently acquired a DX3s and installed the new radio in my 2wd and 4wd so I have one controller between the two. I found some lowered body mounts from jconcepts and they lowered the rear down perfectly. I will be taking it to the track on Sunday for testing.

RC poster
    That thing is amazing!

RC Racer
    Nice Raptor. I'm a big fan of SVT also. I used to frequent f150online back in the days of the Lightning. I remember Rob, Vinnie, Tim Skelton....just to name a few. Don't know if you're associated with them. Just saying. Now onto my question...Maybe you can help me. I will be ordering a Raptor with my tax return. I already have alot of hop-up parts from my Speed-Pede project that I can use on my Raptor. I have some AKA 1/8 adapters that I would like to use. They are 6-sided like a stop sign. The ones on Towerhobbies are star shaped. Just wondering if you know if the ones I have will work for 1/8 buggy wheels? Thanks. If you don't know, no prob.

RC Champion
    I've learned a lot from Tim Skelton's sight And it's helped me in autocrossing my truck! Rob and Vinnie are very much still in the Lightning game!

Those adapters will work. One thing I wished I had immediately when getting the raptor was 4wd. I was not happy with 2wd from the start fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Update. I installed a Dyed rustler chassis and strc lcg kit. I have a black tranny to replace the mismatched case I have now. I'm going to be dying all the blue plastic parts when I get back from work in march. I also have a metal gear hitec servo that i will install. Hopefully castle will send out my sv2 replacement by the time I get home. I don't plan on any further mods after this except possibly a protrac kit.

RC Champion

RC Racer
    I haven't been on F50online in a long while. Good to hear those guys are still enjoying their L's. Your Raptor build is going great. It should handle a little tighter now! I have given a thought to ordering the Slash 4x4. Partly because every r/c I get, I transform it into an asphalt muncher. Can't beat four wheel pull on the tar! Thanks for the help.

RC Champion
    Well if you log on to f150online now you can vote for my red Lightning for Truck of the year!
    http://www.f150online.com/forums/truck-month-year/463243-truck-year-2011-a.html

I really enjoyed buying the 4x4 roller and building the slash on my own..but if I were to build another one I would start with a lcg chassis and buy the rest of the parts instead of the rolling chassis

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 02-17-2012 at 03:35 AM.

RC Champion
    I haven't updated this in awhile. I upgraded the truck to the proline protrac setup and I've liked it so far. I do not like the mip cvds as I've been breaking them on this truck and my protrac bandit. I used the strc lcg kit for awhile but I've decided that the Anza lcg kit is what my Raptor needs! I ordered all the Anza parts available except for the rear axle parts just now! Anyways, here are some pics of it with the strc and protrac kit.

with beadlock wheels for protrac

with regular beadlocks

protrac bandit as grave digger and protrac raptor

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 08-02-2012 at 10:27 PM.

RC Champion
    road rage

Axial Wraith wheels!

I'll be updating this in a few weeks (I'm offshore at work till August 15) with the Anza build!

RC Champion
    I just ordered the proline transmission too. Ultimate Raptor coming soon!

FWIW, my MMP/cc4600kv setup was one of the best I ran in my slash on 2 or 3s lipo. Now it's in my xxx buggy.

Nice build and great pics, keep em coming.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    right on, thanks. I have a MMP and 5700 that I will be installing when I do the rebuild. I also have a 3800 that I might use instead. I'd like to get away from the stock servo/servo saver/bell crank when I do it too. I'm not sure on what I will go with though. I already have a small fortune in this thing but it still needs more!

RC Champion
    Well I got all the Anza parts in along with the proline tranny and I put it all together. I'm pretty pleased with the Anza parts. I hope they aren't junk. I haven't had a chance to test it at a track yet but hope to soon.

RC Qualifier
    Hey bud, think I'm starting to play with my RC's again, picked up a 2wd Slash a few days ago. Mainly 'cause I'm bored at work, and all my RC's are back in Houston.

I like your 2wd Slash man. I also picked up one of those Pro-Line transmissions, but I'm not so sure about it's durability after doing some reading. Haven't installed it yet. First thing my 2wd Slash needs, is a better radio and ESC/Motor. It's got an LCG chassis, not sure which yet, Sidewinder/4600kv, and an older Novak radio. Once I get home, she'll defintely be going Pro-Trac, MMP/3800kv, and my 3PKS radio.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh