RC Racer

Good motor for 2, 3, and 4s lipo?

Is there a motor out there that will run happily on 2, 3, and 4s lipo? I have 2 speed controls that will handle it, so, what are your thoughts?

RC Qualifier
    For 2-3S lipo I run the vector 4000kv and on 3-4S the ********* 2650kv
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC Champion
    I think a motor like that becomes a compromise? The ones that seem to run well on 3s and 4s like the lower Kv motors such as Castle/Traxxas 2400kv may not give you enough speed with the 7.4v 2s lipo.

Kind of hard to beat the Velineon on 2s and 3s though you could move to a 4-pole motor for more torque like the Castle or HPI Flux 4000kv for some speed and torque neither of which are 4s rated.

I am anxious to dial in a sensored motor that is both 2s and 3s rated and am thinking when you get to 4s you better have beefed up some driveline components first!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    3S is going to be your happy median. Probably need to figure out what you will want to run more 2S-3S or 3S-4S. I would say stay in the 2S-3S area, less broken parts. LOL

The CC 3800kv 4-pole or the Vektor (CC/HPI) 4000kv are both very good motors and work very well with 2S & 3S. The CC 2650, 2400, & 2200 work very well with 3S ↑.

Remember the lower the kv the higher you can and will need to gear up. Using them you won't have to worry about heat issues as much. May other motor combos for the money. Just my 2¢ worth.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    4 s would only be for the occasional speed blasts. So like the castle38000 would be a good choice ?

RC Champion
    Not on 3's IMO. The 3800kv that is. I can barely get a pack through on 3's on TRX 4x4 applications. Good for 2's.

Sounds like from your OP. A good motor that suits those needs would be a 2400kv for sure.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Champion
    2400 seems like the way to go for you. Its not horrible on 2s either imo.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jodart View Post
    4 s would only be for the occasional speed blasts. So like the castle38000 would be a good choice ?
    Castle shows imprinted on 3800 motor 3s max LiPo

RC poster
    I am running a 2400kv castle motor... first run was with a 16 tooth pinion and 54t metal drive gear... the whole chassis is more balanced with the rally over the slash 4x4... best get something that can handle 4s after you do some all round metal upgrades... you must upgrade your shafts... 4s will snap shafts!!! 3s over time will aswell on high traction surfaces... best of luck and have fun

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I've run the 2400 and 3800 motors on 3 and 4s in a rustler. The 3800 is fine on 3s in a lighter 2x4 vehicle but will not stay cool in a 4x4 IMO... And definitely no 4s. The 2400 will be much happier on 3s and will have no problem staying cool. But even it's getting pushed to its limit on 4s. If you want to run 4s a lot, is suggest a castle 2200 motor. It can handle 4s fairly well. Won't be much fun on 2s though.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    The Neu 1509 1y would work very well for you, it's 3600kv and will run 2 to 4s. I ran one in an Emaxx for a while on 4s and for their size they put out great power. The endbells have cooling holes in them so I installed a fabric filter to keep dirt out, the down side they aren't cheap (165.00) but you asked so there you are lol....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    The Neu 1509 1y would work very well for you, it's 3600kv and will run 2 to 4s. I ran one in an Emaxx for a while on 4s and for their size they put out great power. The endbells have cooling holes in them so I installed a fabric filter to keep dirt out, the down side they aren't cheap (165.00) but you asked so there you are lol....
    That is very interesting! Have you run one of these in a car/4WD? Are these technically for 'air' use? 4-pole design?
    And, I can't tell if it has standard motor mounting taps in the shaft end to mount to a motor plate? Also if you click on 'build it' there seems to be special options for customizing it too.
    Last edited by kwitty; 11-17-2012 at 08:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    That is very interesting! Have you run one of these in a car/4WD? Are these technically for 'air' use? 4-pole design?
    And, I can't tell if it has standard motor mounting taps in the shaft end to mount to a motor plate? Also if you click on 'build it' there seems to be special options for customizing it too.
    I ran it in a sct for a bit but with the 5mm shaft and 48p gears I was at the time very limited in pinion selection, now that Robinson has come out with 48p 5mm pinions that's no longer a problem but I ran this before all the new motor options were available. It has standard mounting holes, is a 4 pole design and was technically air use hence the cooling holes in the endbells but works very well in surface apps as long as you cover the holes to keep dirt out. Check offshore electrics...

Quote Originally Posted by samintrepid View Post
    For 2-3S lipo I run the vector 4000kv
    I've been using this motor for a few weeks now on 2s and have been pretty impressed with it. Ran a single pack on 3s and it was a monster that stayed fairly cool with a plastic trans case.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I ran a NEU motor in my 1/16 rally for a while. It was crazy how A: fast it was but cool it stayed. B: Amp hungry it was. Those motors are serious business... but I dont think they are really necessary for an application like this.

The problem with what the OP is asking is that there really are no motors that will perform well from 2S - 4S... you might get one that CAN run those voltages, but it will likely be too slow on 2S and run hotter on 4S with 3S being its sweet spot.

I think a powerful motor, geared well on 3S will have this thing going faster than it will ever need to for regular driving and, that same motor would likely handle 4S with slightly lower gearing for speed runs only. A Castle 2200, 2650 or the 2400 would all work. But they will all feel pretty soft on 2S.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    What about the Novak 4.5T Ballistic. I use to run there 4.5T High Voltage system in my E-Maxx, on 4S. It worked great. I later bought a 4.5T Ballistic and stuffed it into my Wraith with an RX8. On 2s, its a stump puller and works very smooth. I called Novak and asked if its the same motor as what I used in the HV system and they said yes.
    Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

That's the system i use in my rally. I run it on 2s and the havoc esc I have is only rated for 2s. I'm sure you could run the HV esc and run the motor on 3s but that 4.5 turn translates into somewhere around 5000kv... That's pretty high to be running 4s.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Mamba Monster!!! Epic sales by Castle, YAY!!!
    And there he goes with the carbon...

Or stick with 2s and 3s and get a tenshock v2 3400kv 4 pole 550 can its not to much money compared to some of the other brands and they are sweet man....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Ok, so there's really no "one size fits all" on this. Thanks for all the sugesstions.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I've run a 3800 in a p4de and had trouble keeping it cool.. I've run a few 2400kv in my pedes alnd slash trucks, and the only thing that got up in temp was the esc (MMP) I like the MMM with a 2400 for a basher. I feel a monster motor is just to clunky in these lil trucks! It would need a set of shocks/springs/ swaybars just to keep the chassis up "properly"! I have a TeamRCE chassis, lucky, cause it runs the 3800 cool on 2s and 3s but I would surely consider the 2400 for a trx chassis in your case of 3s-4s needs
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Yesterday I ran 2- 3S packs in my Rally with ET-3S & ET-2400 motor and it barely broke a sweat. I'm geared 18/54 with 85% WOT and 80% pavement & 20% manicured grass or whats left of it. My temps at the end of the run were 130°. While I was running with ariflow it was like 112°. I'm very impressed with this setup. I'm definitely going to gear it up. Oh and ambient temps were around 75°. This is a very good combo, setup. dread makes some good points there.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I was running my sl4sh mt with huge tires, 22/50 3s CC 2400 and a MMP, that's where I started seeing limits in temps lol. The tires were pizza cutters lol. My motor was around 170° and esc was close to 180°. I'm more than sure a sc/rally set up could do fine at that gearing in the mid summer heat but I was tunning a heavy monster sl4sh. (S.U.G.A.R.)

I plan on going up a couple teeth on the pinion, just been lazy about doing it. LOLOL I have up to 22 if I remember correctly. I had a blast yesterday screetching those stock treads again. I like taking it to smooth cement and doing pavement donuts.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I found myself having just as much fun with 2s as 3s yesterday. Once the suspension started to give me some slide action, rather than powering the tires to brake loose ...... I enjoyed the lesser power with more controlled movement. The es is certainly a blast but its going to cost some rubber and a bit more parts wear and tear.
    can you bereave we're having this much fun, new design, body, tires, and its a new attitude, feeling. I think that's the nest part of this hobby!

RC Champion
    What is up with your typing Dread! LOL. I'm loving this car on 2s and 3s. Still not sure on the suspension, D8's or Powerstroke's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Man this car handles so well. I have run 2S and its a blast to, just not the top end that I like. LOL I'm typically a 2S man to. But in this setup 3S is KiNg. I'll take it WOT to the end of the street as far as I can see do a 180 and at about 90° i'll hit the throttle and roll out of the turn and punch it. I havent had this much fun in a long time. Other than the impact with the kiddo this sucker stays planted very well. The Ten-T shocks make it that much more enjoyable to. Even after they've been run they still perform perfectly. Only thing I have to get used to is driving on curbs, I hit them at a 45° angle to enter drives, sidewalks, & green pastures. LOL Not a big deal, just tough to remember when you are used to driving trucks with ground clearance. haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    The thing's are a blast to drive, having so much fun just running 2s and a little 3s. Digger do you think the rally could do with thicker diff fluid? I keep diffing out when i power out of corner's.

Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    What is up with your typing Dread! LOL. I'm loving this car on 2s and 3s. Still not sure on the suspension, D8's or Powerstroke's.
    what's got you curious, the amount of typing, or the incredibly bad spelling?
    I have 3 houses left to the season, then i'm done for a while. Chill for the winter ... lol or warm up would ne a bit more accurate lol. My next few houses are all on hold, one has permit problems, another is a matter of getting the foundation dug/poured/backfilled... ext. So I got a week around the house to play. Batteries are charging as we type.
    I don't have a clue about what shock set would be the most beneficial for this build but, I do like the way my ten-t shocks are performing! If it was me, I would go for D8's because the cost of powerstrokes vs. What can be done with them..... no, not my kind of shocks. D8 shocks will go on all your over built and stocker trucks for the same money or less.

The thing's are a blast to drive, having so much fun just running 2s and a little 3s. Digger do you think the rally could do with thicker diff fluid? I keep diffing out when i power out of corner's.
    I'm running Ofna diff lock, the 50,000wt front and rear. I'm not having diff out issues at all. This truck could really benefit from the HR one way center diff, add some real control for a competitive sliding race style.

RC Champion
    I have a bottle of 50,000wt. was thinking that would give me what I'm looking for. I've got a long holiday weekend so I will be doing the diff's, installing the 2400 setup and putting either my set of powerstoke's or D8's on. Wishing my 2 light pod's would get here. It is going to light up the night for sure.

Thank's Dread. let's hope the permit's come through quicker so you can get done sooner.

I haven't torn into the diffs on the Rally yet. I've also stayed 80% pavement too. So the stock setup is working perfect for me at the moment. I'm going to keep it as is until spring of next year. Then i'll switch weights around. dread is the perfect go to guy on what weight would be the best. I don't have any tracks close to me to play around in loose dirt and such. Just the fiddle farting I do for pure pleasure. LOL

You might like the powerstrokes over the D8's. Who knows try them both out and tweak them to the best and see what you like better. I have the Ten-T's dialed in near perfect at the moment.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    The only thing about the powerstroke's is that I need to order the spring kit's, I already have 4 set's of spring's for the D8's. I agree the Powerstroke's tuned properly with the right spring's would be awesome. I know from racing my full size rally car alot of guy's use 2 stage spring set's.

Sounds like i'd go with the D8's then. LOL I haven't run a set of those yet. I hear they are a nice set in heavier rigs.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Not to inject any negativity at all, but I really dont see why an upgraded shock is needed IF your keeping it on the road. If your going to the track or running hard offroad i fully agree stepping up from the ultras is a good idea. But for onroad running your shocks arent being taxed at all. A set of sway bars would do more for the car that upgraded shocks. Just my initial thoughts anyway. I do think straight rate springs, at least in the rear, are a big benefit and improved handling. I got the idea from the jang and he was right.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Not just onroad for this rally. I run at a 1/8 scale track with my slash so I will be running this the same. I do agree pave that a good setup on the car is more important than upgraded shock's. I hate the progressive rate spring's, they're junk. No harm trying different setup's. I have both the D8's and proline's sitting on the table. I'm with you though, that the stock Ultra's are great for running on tarmac, but for other area's they can be improved upon.