RC Champion

i think i made a amp monster

well guys i dont know exactly how much run time a stock titan 12t motor gets on a 6000mah 2s lipo
    but i think my hybrid motor is suck'er amp's up. so far i have gotten about 30 mins of run time on a full charge of my lipo .but..... lots of torque and fast to me speed

so what is this amp hog im running?.it is a
    half hitachi 14.4v motor and half titan 12t motor called the hitatin. and how i have it setup is that im useing the motor can and brushes from the hitachi .witch has stronger magnets and bigger brushes for the higher voltage . then i have the titan 12t rotor in the hitachi can.

and so far they have paired up great.
    so yes both motors are sealed type cans but they still have enought material to be closed tightly back together.

how the titan rotor fits
    nice and perfect. all i had to do was take the shimms off both rotors and put the shims from the hitachi rotor on the titan rotor and if fit good

break in
    well if the hitachi is broken in prior then nothing needs to be done to the brushes or rotors .sept maybe a little cleaning for the com .but other than thiat it looks like the rotors are with in spec of each other so the brushes dont over lap on the titan rotor and should seat perfectly to the com

now with this setup it is alittle more work to get the hybrid motor together but is quight simple
    with this setup i do recomend it. and with the cooler weather that i have run in so far i havent got above a 120f with an outside tempature of 58f .with the pede geared 19/90 along with trenchers and hard repetitive aceliration.

thanks guy and if there are eny questions please leave a reply on the thread
    Last edited by reod12x2; 10-12-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling an format
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    No questions here, I've been following your brushed adventures for a little while now, lol. I think what you've found here is worth reproducing if/when/if it does fail. When it does, you need to do a 'how to' thread tho.

Runtime is a funny thing tho. I don't know if amp hungry is the exact condition tho. I think a faster turning motor can run down batteries quicker too. Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in. 30 minutes of runtime isnt too bad at all tho.

Good work Reod I'd like to see or hear a sound clip of this motor youre working with. Let us know if you have any temp data on the esc too.

RC Champion
    ya but with the hitachi i could see about an hour or more but then that was at about 3rd the speed of a stock titan
    when i get back to my cave monday i will rip the windings off the hitachi rotor to see what wined it is.
    the rotor was to short to begin with and now its spiting pinions off thats why i did the hitatin

i still have about 5mm or more of brushes left on the clips so im asuming it will be some time before she quits
    i still have the original case of that drill and a seconed drill two but the motor is deep fried black on that
    so im imagining that since dewalt has alot of ebay venders that the hitachi drills will have the same or less venders
    so another motor wouldent be that hard to get

an ..umm this little x-l5 i got it used with the pede a year ago this january and so far between the stock titan the hitachi and the new hitatan and even the highest temps this summer it has not even gotton warm on me .and this thing has been throught war and back. forward shifted heat sinks(from repetead impacts) and minior chrushed and minorly frayed wires .an zero problems so far
    i like this thing. but unfortuniantly when i get a 3s lipo and a brushless system. im going to seem what this little x-l5 can do on 3s and maybe a titan 775 but only time will tell.

i will get the drill case code up next week

hahaha post #1001 im catching up guys lol
    i guess im in the same boat as noir522 i lost my original account so i should be up in the #1150 posts
    Last edited by reod12x2; 10-12-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I recently did something similar to this mod a few weeks ago after a buddy of mine gave me a huge plastic storage tote full of vintage rcs. In the tote there was 5 different rcs, and he wanted one good working one and let me keep the rest. There was a way old stampede in there, so of course that's the one I chose to fix up for him. All he had for speedos was an xl-2.5, xl-1 and a few msc's and vintage victor escs. He had a stinger motor that was demagnetized and also had some modified motors and Johnson 540 size motors. I used the xl-1 esc and wanted to pair it with the stinger because the modified motors he had got the temp of xl-1 up to 200F+ in about 5 mins. The stinger can was useless and demagnetized but the armature and comm was in great shape so I grabbed the Johnson motor that had the strongest magnets and threw the stinger guts into it. To my amazement it worked flawlessly and had some real decent power (bit more than a stock stinger). He's been running it every day for the last few weeks now and its still going strong.

Personally, I'm completely done with running brushed motors, but I kinda enjoy repairing and modifying them.

Nice work on the hititan man, I've got 3 titans that I brought back to life using my comm cleaning stick method. My kid has two of them in his powerwheels car and they've been running reliably for most of this year. The other one I have installed in one of my other pedes and I power it with a tamiya manual speed control and run it only on 3s lipo and it has endured 25 runs so far and is still as strong as ever.

I'm positive that it is the escs that kill the titans due to the variable speed inputs from the esc. With a manual speed control that has only two speeds (50% and 100% power) the titan lasts a very long time. Same with running them in the powerwheels car which also has only 2 fixed speed outputs. Running the motor at fixed voltages and rpm keeps the brushes wearing more evenly and the motor cooling more efficiently, kinda like breaking in the motor every time it is ran.

Good to see some more options for the titan motors, cuz we all know what a bummer it was to have it die so quickly after buying the truck. Keep up the good work.

Maybe once you upgrade to brushless, you can figure out how to make the vxl more powerful and run cooler too!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Yeah, I recently had to replace my motor. I swapped it out for another that was identical in size, can and rotor with 400 more kv, and I immediately saw a decrease in runtime, but i'll live, lol. Went from like 35 or 40 minutes to 25 ish. And i dont think I have seen any change in amp usage as my temps are pretty much the same or lower. I can't wait to hear about the 3S Hititan combo!

RC Champion
    ^ i cant either lol
    well more for the esc part .just to see if i can breath some heat into its hart considering its the walking dead temp wise

but ya with the titan motor they could benifit with stronger magnets (i think would eleminait heat) and bigger brushess would do worlds better for them.but still with the brushless tech its better in almost every catogory sept for a fue

ya baldy i was thinking of the brushless but i dont think specs are standaredised for them .but thats comeing from a person that has only had the 380vxl motor .on the other hand you could search for a 4 pole rotor but then the vxl3s esc dosent like that

have a good night guys
    Last edited by reod12x2; 10-12-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    on the other hand you could search for a 4 pole rotor but then the vxl3s esc dosent like that

have a good night guys
    Dude its amazing how ya'll come up with all this goodness for the brushed motors. That's an area I didnt stay with very long. I think a tops of about 4 months. I went to the VXL-3S 3500, then CC MMP 3800kv, and so on. My fleet is nothing but 4-pole brushless power. The torque, power, & efficiency of castle motors 85%^ is just so beneficial. Plus they run so much cooler. I get really good runtime from those amp hogs. The only thing I wish that could be fixed is the cogging at low throttle. Most of that can be fixed with high amp rated Lipo packs. I usually just mash the throttle and let her rip.

Have you checked out the Tenshock 6-pole Brushless motors??? I've so been wanting to buy one and see how they are. A guy (s) on here in one of the other sections ran one and wasnt that impressed vs a 4-pole design. I'm not sure what his total setup was. Like his speed control, bats, and stuff.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    ya i herd about 6 pole motors .but whats the piont some 4 pole motors have to much torque for the rc's they are in and still have blinding speeds.unless its a high kv motor i could see that being a good thing or (im not sure)it could be better for crawling more torque at lower rpms but still need sensores and i guess 2 more wires couldent hurt for more rotor control

intresting there digg

the reason im in the brushed motors is that i dont have the wallet to get a good cc brushless system .and brushed motors are easy to get for me. an an my cheap side lol

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    ya i herd about 6 pole motors .but whats the piont some 4 pole motors have to much torque for the rc's they are in and still have blinding speeds.unless its a high kv motor i could see that being a good thing or (im not sure)it could be better for crawling more torque at lower rpms but still need sensores and i guess 2 more wires couldent hurt for more rotor control

intresting there digg

the reason im in the brushed motors is that i dont have the wallet to get a good cc brushless system .and brushed motors are easy to get for me. an an my cheap side lol
    Yeah the 6-pole Brushless motors that i've seen were low kv. I say that, they were in the 2-3000kv area. They have them listed i'm just using that as an example. Man you'd need a heavy rig and all the goodies to handle that power. But like you said it could be good for low speed crawlers that demand torque. But shoot those arent usually very big. Hmmmm.....maybe something like a Summit.

It's all good man. You make due with what you have and you are doing a dang good job with it. I'm not that mechanically inclined in the brushed arena ( I can do enought that it would get me in trouble ), not that I couldnt rip a part 1 of my 4 Titan's and learn a thing or 2. Who knows what could become of one of those. I know 3 of those 4 are at least 80% power. The 4th I believe is locked up.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Yeah the 6-pole Brushless motors that i've seen were low kv. I say that, they were in the 2-3000kv area. They have them listed i'm just using that as an example. Man you'd need a heavy rig and all the goodies to handle that power. But like you said it could be good for low speed crawlers that demand torque. But shoot those arent usually very big. Hmmmm.....maybe something like a Summit.
    The Summit is wee little crawler. But something like this could use some 6 pole power.

Oderint Dum Metuant

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Those tires would fit on my Taxi!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    wow first picture it looks giagantic untill you relise the the slash is a 16th

RC Qualifier
    It needs a bigger body. It just doesn't look right. But, i bet it's a blast to drive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    It needs a bigger body. It just doesn't look right. But, i bet it's a blast to drive!!!!
    You're right, it doesn't look that good with the tiny body, but since its a crawler, it wouldn't be as good at getting around obstacles if the body was catching on everything.

BTW, That gigantic 1/5 crawler is called the "killer crawler" and costs $700 and doesn't include the tires, body, battery, radio or any electronics whatsoever. But it does come in a bunch of different anodized colors.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    BTW, That gigantic 1/5 crawler is called the "killer crawler" and costs $700 and doesn't include the tires, body, battery, radio or any electronics whatsoever. But it does come in a bunch of different anodized colors.
    Actually its the 1/4 Large Scale Killer Monster Truck Kit which costs $999.99 and comes with everything in the pictures except for the body. It also needs electronics which is common with kits.

Also the body is not all that small. I suppose one could install something larger but that would be pointless. The tires are just going to rip it up.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Actually its the 1/4 Large Scale Killer Monster Truck Kit which costs $999.99 and comes with everything in the pictures except for the body. It also needs electronics which is common with kits.

Also the body is not all that small. I suppose one could install something larger but that would be pointless. The tires are just going to rip it up.
    This is the kit i saw:

I didnt know that they came out with an even bigger one until i just looked it up, thats crazy

Sent from Baldy's iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 10-14-2012 at 08:40 PM.

RC Champion
    well i dont know how much a solder joint could effect a motor but the red wire never rilly absorebed the solder so id didnt make a good joint
    then after a trip to the lhs and got it soldered up. that run it felt like a bit more power

lessoned learned ''clean the wire with flux''

I always tin my wire before I make a joint. I'm no expert but I read up and learned stuff along the way. Some good look'n joints (solder, LOL) and some that would make yo momma cringe. haha

Whatever it is you are soldering, you should 'tin' both contacts before you attempt to solder them. This coats or fills the wires or connector contacts with solder so you can easily melt them together.

To tin a wire, apply the tip of your iron to the wire for a second or two, then apply the solder to the wire. The solder should flow freely onto the wire and coat it (if it's stranded wire the solder should flow into it, and fill the wire). You may need to snip the end off afterwards, particularly if you have put a little too much solder on and it has formed a little ball at the end of the wire.
    I soldered my first bullet connectors a few days ago. That was really fun & easy.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    ya ya i pre tined lol but the wire must of had oil on it
    i have done so good one myself to

RC Champion
    well i think i wrecked it a little
    bashing a couple days ago and the end bell semi poped out cuaseing the motor to stall when off power...may of chiped a brush
    since then it hasent had the normal power out put
    so ran it last night in the dark and the motor glows like a l.e.d. .upon start up and the comm sparks a little/looks like its grinding at full rpm

well time to eithe over volt the motor well its alive or go brushless since castle has thier sale on