RC Competitor

Lipo's and Pinions

Okay...is there a way to change the pinion without removing the motor?? I must be getting old and blind.....

also...Lipos...I'm running 2s right now...I've seen some posts saying don't run a 3s on it unless you make some mods....I'm assuming a fan for the ESC for one....How aboug the gearing?? leave it the stock 13??

RC Champion
    You know I was wondering the same thing! No I don't see how you can get the pinion off the shaft as there is not enough clearance to the chassis wall however....................the bottome pivot screw down low for the motor can be loosened just a bit and the motor mount will slide right out with plate because the place has an open 'c' cutout instead of a hole for that screw to pass through! It is only a pivot/lift point down there so removing the motor with plate is not too bad to do to change a pinion

And maybe I missed something but I just went through this the other day as I went up to a 16t with stock Velineon and a 3s pack and that was fun!
    I think with 3s and gearing in the 13-16t range you should be OK. The real tell is a temp gage on the motor, the ESC has a thermal shutdown protect. Just depends on how long and how hard you are running it and on what surface IMO.
    Last edited by kwitty; 11-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.

For 3s you'll break alot..
    Driveshafts, parts from crashing, wear through tires, bad bearings

You have to take off the motor for gearing switches
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Sweet. Thanks for the feedback!