Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

vintage stampede

so im pulling my old stampede out and looking to get it running again.. ive noticed the game has changed just a bit and now i want to upgrade.. im looking for recommendations for a good brushless system i could go to.. let me know

RC Racer
    I run the VXL setup in my old Pede. I've rebuild the trans as the plastic gears stripped. It's now all metal, and runs good!
    A bearing swap would be a good idea if you haven't done that yet!

NeverFinished
    13 Rigs and counting!
    -NeverFinished-

RC Enthusiast
    i was just thinking that.. this thing is prob 15-16 yrs old and hasnt run in about that loong too.. any ideas of where to get replacement parts if need be?

RC Enthusiast
    heres a question.. i have an old school novak super rooster.. should i do the upgrade program through novak?

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
    i was just thinking that.. this thing is prob 15-16 yrs old and hasnt run in about that loong too.. any ideas of where to get replacement parts if need be?
    You can probably get parts at your LHS. Most of the parts Traxxas has updated since then will fit on an older model. Post a picture!
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Champion
    Mine started as an older Pede with the XL-1 ESC and the main upgrades I've done are:
    •Replace transmission with newer metal-geared tranny ($25-35)
    •brushless motor combo (castle creations sidewinder with 3800kv motor)
    •install bearings on all four wheels instead of bushings (requires replacing bearing carriers)
    •upgrade to 2.4Ghz TX/RX system
    •new 2.8" Proline Trencher tires

It runs great now.

What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Enthusiast
    Mine orig had a MSC lol.. ill post pics tomorrow evening

RC Enthusiast

Wow, that's a was old P2de... Looks well loved. In that last picture, is that a new tire comparing how worn out those tires are? Cheers.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Sweet ol Pede man! Welcome to the forum!

Some of the usual upgrades:

- rpm slash 2wd front bumper
    - Aluminum c-blocks
    - Aluminum rear bearing carriers and front steering knuckles (traxxas ones come with bearings included)
    - metal gears and new style slipper clutch for transmission (cheaper to buy the complete trans off ebay)
    - Brushless system - Traxxas and castle both make good systems, a great system for cheap is to buy an et-3s esc off ebay for $65 and a vxl 3500 motor for $50-60 off ebay.
    - batteries and faster charger - lipos are the way to go, especially when using a brushless system.
    - protrac kit is an excellent upgrade and will allow for all front offset wheels giving more width and stability to the truck
    - wheels and tires - proline 2.8 trenchers or proline mashers are a good choice. Proline desperato wheels are popular as well.
    - 2.4ghz radio system - flysky gt3b is a great radio and inexpensive.

The funnest way to upgrade is to break the stock parts first!

Oh yeah and get some monster jam body mounts to lower the body, this will also lower the center of gravity which will improve stability and lessen roll overs when turning, and it'll look way better too!

Not a whole bunch has changed on the stampede aside from electronics and metal gears and pretty much every part between old and new is interchangeable. Good luck and have fun!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-HR-P2de-XL...
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Wow, that's a was old P2de... Looks well loved. In that last picture, is that a new tire comparing how worn out those tires are? Cheers.
    No those are the orig tires that came with it.. you know the old hard heavy ones lol

stampede 4 life
    What are you looking to do with it bash it race it what?

RC Enthusiast
    Just bash it like the good ol times

RC Racer
    I buy a lot of parts from: A Main Hobbies.com, Ebay and R/C Planet.com good selection and price.
    Hope this helps ya. Nice older Pede too!!

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

RC Competitor
    If all ya wanna do is bash it go for a VXL system and a good set of tires... if it is bushings you will DEFINATLY want to go with bearings. Anything more than a brushed motor then DEFINATLY a steel gear set for the tranny.

After your VXL, bearings and steel tranny gear just run it and upgrade it as you go. You don't need to build the ultimate Pede from the get go just to get it running. I have a ol school Pede myself and I so far have done steel tranny gears, bearing and new tires. I have a Protrac kit going into it now and looking at a VXL upgrade The rest on my truck is stock and sofar haven't had issues.

Simple upgrades and run it till you break it and THEN upgrade gradually... easiler on the initial hit to your wallet

RC Enthusiast
    after i have looked over it a bit, im noticing that im def gonna need a new stearing servo, shocks, bearings, battery, charger, motor, esc, and prob the fully built tranny.. i havent looked over it this much since i built it 15 yrs ago lol

RC Competitor
    Maybe consider buying a new RTR kit and built from there. Might work out cheaper in the long run... the Pede 2wd and MJ trucks are well equipped out the box with bearing, tranny, 7cell 3000mah pack... etc... Good bang for the buck. Also Traxxas has the upgrade program for I think 150 bucks to step up to a VXL brushless. Just throwing it out there is all.

PS... the MJ is for the Monster Jam edition of the Stampede 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    I wonder if i could do the upgrade program when my mechanical speed controller and if i cpuld find my orig motor

RC Qualifier
    I would lose the Mechanical speed controller, the original motor is probably very tired also. There are a few good esc's on motors out there that won't break you wallet. Of course if money is not a problem, go for the good stuff imo lol
    I have only come here seeking knowledge

RC Enthusiast
    So I went to my lhs this morning to talk to them a little bit and they said the tyranny I have now maybe the old hawk tyranny and won't work with a brushless system.. anyone ever heard of this before?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    It would be a good idea to upgrade to the new Magnum-272 Tranny. It includes the new steel gears. You could update all the gears but by the time you did that it would be cheaper to just buy the tranny and be good to go. All you have to do is bolt it up, and slap on a new power plant. Look for one with the Slipper included, should be <$40 shipped.

Hope this helps.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Will that work? I asked if I could do that but he said it wouldn't bolt up.. idk

RC Champion
    So I went to my lhs this morning to talk to them a little bit and they said the tyranny I have now maybe the old hawk tyranny and won't work with a brushless system.. anyone ever heard of this before?
    LHS got it wrong, It will bolt up, and your's is definitely not a "old Hawk" tranny.

Hawk 1 trans:

Hawk 2 trans: (Similar 272 internals can be used)

Original Pede 272-trans

All the original Stampedes came with a 272 Magnum trans. Just had the peg style slipper and plastic internals.
    MODEL 3610: Came assembled RTR w/Mech speed control.
    MODEL 3606: Came assembled RTR w/XL-1 esc.
    MODEL 3601: Unassembled kit also included Mech speed control.

Modern brushless ready 272

Like digger and others mentioned, Cheapest quickest way to upgrade the trans is just get a complete, ready to rock new model 272 from the chop shops. You can even get one from a Grave Digger truck already in black.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 11-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150945684645
    If it will work, this a good price for one?

Yes it will!! If you click the Magnum-272 tranny in BOLD up there it linked you to eBay.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Bought and now waiting

RC Enthusiast
    Alright tearing into my pede for the first time in over a decade lol.. wish me luck

RC Enthusiast

Ok while going through all my old parts i found these.. shoild i use em or stay with my orig ones

RC Enthusiast

I was a smart kid

RC Qualifier
    Will that work? I asked if I could do that but he said it wouldn't bolt up.. idk
    that is not right, I have a very old stampede and it bolted up exactly like the original transmission. The 272 will run brushless motors with no problems. You will find that the upgrades will make your stampede much faster, that is, if you go brushless. It looks like you are headed in the right direction, have fun with the build and bashing when you get finished.
    I have only come here seeking knowledge

I was a smart kid
    Yep, it was definitely a good idea to upgrade to the bearings, but you're still going to want to upgrade those old carriers. The older bearing carriers you have now use the small bearings, the new style carriers have larger bearings that will take more of a beating and will last way longer. You could always just grab some rpm carriers, steering knuckles and then some new Traxxas sealed bearings for cheap. You will want to go with aluminum c blocks though or you'll be constantly bending hinge pins. Once you do get er up and bashing again, you may find that some of the plastic parts have become brittle and will break, so best to start ordering a few of the parts like the carriers, knuckles and c blocks (these are known to break easily even when they are new) to avoid downtime waiting for orders to arrive. It used to drive me nuts when i couldn't bash due to the failure of a $5 part! Lol

RC Champion
    You can boil the old parts to soften them up a bit. Still better to get new ones but having some back up's is always a good idea. And you can use plastic caster blocks if you drill out the kingpin holes so that you can install a larger pin. I use a inner suspension arm pin that has been trimmed down.

As to the transmission the 272 goes all the way back to the early 90's. Once the pede came out all that changed was the slipper clutch and the gear material.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Enthusiast
    ok now for the shocks and servo.. i want to go with some big bore alum shocks.. any suggestions?
    for the servo should i go metal gears or stay plastic? high torque?

ok now for the shocks and servo.. i want to go with some big bore alum shocks.. any suggestions?
    for the servo should i go metal gears or stay plastic? high torque?
    Traxxas big bore aluminum shocks can be purchased for pretty cheap off ebay and are a real good shock. Metal gears in the servo is always a good idea, the plastic gears strip pretty easily. You wont need massive amounts of torque, somewhere between 100-150oz of torque should be fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Traxxas big bore aluminum shocks can be purchased for pretty cheap off ebay and are a real good shock. Metal gears in the servo is always a good idea, the plastic gears strip pretty easily. You wont need massive amounts of torque, somewhere between 100-150oz of torque should be fine.

you recommend those losi 8ight shocks?

you recommend those losi 8ight shocks?
    Oh absolutely... if your truck is at least 6lbs or more. If its closer to the stock weight (mostly plastic parts) then the Traxxas big bores or the losi ten-t shocks would be more suitable. A stock weight pede with losi 8ight shocks would be stiff like a skateboard.

RC Enthusiast
    woohoo.. got my new tranny in today.. cant wait to put it in tonight..

woohoo.. got my new tranny in today.. cant wait to put it in tonight..
    Sweet!! Post some pics of the progress.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Got it installed.. here ya go..

Right on, now you're ready for some brushless mayhem.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2