RC Enthusiast

New guy with an old Pede

Hey guys, Im new here but not new to rc. Ive been in RC for 25 years now God I'm gettin old
    Anyway, I just picked up a old school pede (black chassis) Im looking to upgrade everything on the truck to make it the ultimate basher.

I already have the vxl system for it, I know I need a brushless ready tranny as well.

What other things do you guys recommend?

Here is my complete parts list as of right now.

RPM front rear a arms
    RPM rear hubs
    RPM front hubs
    RPM castor blocks
    New sealed rx box
    Front axle shafts
    Bearing kit for hubs
    MIP Cvd kit
    Brushless ready MJ tranny
    Jconcepts Tense wheels front and rear

as for tires I havent figured that out I was just going to keep the stock v tread tires and cut them with a dremel.

Anymore things you guys can think of would be great!

RC Qualifier
    Looks like you have it mostly covered in your list. I'm upgrading mine to brushless. I Have a Tenshock 3800KV brushless motor and ESC in the mail and should here tomorrow. My plan is to fix it as things break. One thing I've been reading is switching from 48 pitch gears to 32 pitch gear for the pinion and spur. Because 32 pitch is a larger tooth and stronger.

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum, such as castor, steering blocks, stub carriers, shock caps, cambers.
    Maybe try big bores? And either a RPM bumper or a slash 2x4 front bumper for it. It will save you many broken parts.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    LOL I figured that after I posted it up. I just want to have all the parts I need to make it a good basher so parts DONT break I hate having down time lol. Anyone ever used the roll cages for the 2wd pede's?

RC Enthusiast
    Ithowstones. I was thinking about maybe staying away from aluminum just for the fact that something needs to give if I were to smack into something. Now the Big Bore shocks I may look into, doesnt Pro-line make some pretty beefy shocks?

RC Qualifier
    Yes they do, but if memory recalls correctly, they like to leak.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Ah I got ya. Yeah I dont want junk lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless72 View Post
    Ah I got ya. Yeah I dont want junk lol
    i have some proline shocks and they never leaked a drop. I think he was thinking about integy shocks.

RC Qualifier
    That might have been the ones, dirty don.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    These are the ones I am talking about. I did have some Integys at one time, notice I said at one time. I hate Integy everything they make spreads like butter!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYWT9&P=ML

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, integy isn't very well welcomed around here.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    Yeah, integy isn't very well welcomed around here.
    When I do put aluminum on something its either HR or STRacing stuff.

RC Champion
    If you haven't ordered it yet I'd buy any tranny from a VXL Pede, rustler or slash rather than a MJ one because they have hex head screws. I'd recommend getting a full set of hex head screws too. You can usu find a set from an eBay chop shop for about $8. Alum castor blocks are better than any plastic even rpm. I would also recommend gettin alum 12mm hexes front and rear to attach your wheels to. I've ruined at least one wheel from a plastic hex rounding off.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    I agree on the aluminum castors.
    Oh, and you can also get aluminum hexes as well.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I finally got the truck in my hands Friday. Tires are dry rotted, and it was a dirty bird! After I tore the truck down and cleaned everything I noticed the truck had very few scratches on it. Just a few on the back of the transmission and those were very light, so its safe to say this truck was ran a handful of times and just sat around forever.

Went to the LHS and picked up a esc plate and reciever box, slapped the vxl in it and ziiiiiiinnnng after half a 2s pack. Thought I stripped the spur, but after further inspection the idler gear is toast!

No biggie, Ill pick up a steel idler today and run it till it blows something else and install the vxl transmission. Overall Im happy with this purchase. I was blown away when pluged the stock esc and motor up and it ran. The motor made a squealing noise but thats nothing a cup of water and some bearing oil cant fix. Now for the pics

Before

After

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that was a dirty bird!
    I like the black chassis.
    I did mine.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...he-Ripper-quot
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    lol yeah it was nasty! Your chassis came out nice! Thats one thing I wish Traxxas would have never changed, all the gray chassis does is get stained with dirt and it looks hideous being two toned gray chassis and black a arms and everything else.

I ended up tearing down the tranny and found the idler gear complete smooth lol. Im just going to go to my LHS and pick up a steel idler and steel ringed diff gear. I was amazed to find the tranny has complete bearings in it. I figured it would be bushings!

RC Qualifier
    Might want to re-lube the bearings, wouldn't hurt. Steel gears wont strip as easily as plastic ones.
    I done like the gray with black arms. I should either be gray all the way around, or black all the way around. Preferably black.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...k-Plastic-Back!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I'm going to lube everything all back up and see how it goes. I just put my .02 in on that petition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Nice. Maybe a running video when you get everything all back in one piece?
    Hope Traxxas takes notice of the petition.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I'll for sure post up a video when it's all back together. May have some pics up later of the transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I went to the LHS today and got what I needed to upgrade the trans to all metal gears.
    The two bearings on the right are for my slash 4x4 rear diff.

RC Enthusiast
    Well good news is I dont need to buy tires and wheels now. A buddy of mine gave me four stock ones, decided to shave em! Took the vxl back out of the slash and took her for a drive with everything non hillbillied

for some unknown reason I decided to stand in my garage and and take the truck out on the road for a speed run. Now if you were to ever see my drive way you would notice that there are to large bushes at each sides of my drive. I took the truck to the circle and gave her full throttle, as she zinged past the first bush I noticed it was a little to close to the begining of my drive way. Now behind that second bush a hidding mailbox awaited me Yeah it didnt end pretty at all. When I came in from the wreck my wife asked what was that big bang? I said not sure maybe some idiot just hit something down the road She looked at the truck and said yeah some idiot

So in order for me to have some fun I broke out ole trusty (slash 4x4) I beat on that for a good 2 2s packs and then dropped the 3s in for a grand finally! That truck always puts me in a better mood no matter what I break it was fun!

A pic of it what it looks like now tires are done and wheels painted, next is a blacked out body

Now for some carnage :twisted: