RC Competitor

Why not full mA!!!

Hi

I have 2 NiMh 1600mA and when I charge it with my Charger (http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxp4005-manual.pdf), it said like 1450 or 1500mA or so.

I play with my car until my car cannot run. Is that normal? Should I see 1600mA?

It is configured like this:
    NiMh type
    1600mA
    1.0A
    8mV/C

Any idea? I use an adapter from Tamiya connector to Traxxass (I have odered a Traxxass wire).

Thanks

RC Champion
    Batteries usually vary as far as their actual capacity vs. the listed capacity, some packs may take more of a charge and some less.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Competitor
    Ok, that can explain the situation.

If I use only half of my battery, when I will charge it, do I will see like 1500mA or just like 873mA? Also, do I need to drain the battery each time before the charge?

Thanks again

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by koolyce View Post
    Ok, that can explain the situation.

If I use only half of my battery, when I will charge it, do I will see like 1500mA or just like 873mA? Also, do I need to drain the battery each time before the charge?

Thanks again
    It will only take in what you used, so if you use 1/2 of the pack it will charge enough to fill it back up and you'll see how much it took in on the charger. NiMH batteries aren't supposed to develop a memory like NiCD packs so theoretically you should be able to partially use them and then charge them back up without any issues. Most people would probably suggest that you completely drain them just to be sure.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 11-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Champion
    your charger will show you how much was charged back into the battery. I.E. If you use half, you'll see the 800 #

you need to realize that even though your battery is dead, there is still voltage in the cells

that amount of mah you are seeing is what the charger says it is putting into it.... it doesnt mean that your battery isn't getting full mah

a 12v car battery is dead around 10 volts and wont start your car at that point..... and a fully charged battery should have a surface voltage around 12.6-13.0 volts

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    12v is actually dead at 11.7v and at 12.10 is only 50% charged

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the explanation. Your help is always appreciated.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    12v is actually dead at 11.7v and at 12.10 is only 50% charged
    I think Jimbo is talking about the "loaded" voltage of a 12v battery, it would be considered dead when the "loaded" voltage reaches 10.5v.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it's nice over at the erbe forum!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    it's nice over at the erbe forum!
    What is that supposed to mean?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Just to make sure...
    You do realize that fully discharging a NiMh takes quite a few cycles off of its life span, right?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Just to make sure...
    You do realize that fully discharging a NiMh takes quite a few cycles off of its life span, right?
    You can run them until the truck slows down though can't you? I haven't used
    NiMH packs in quite a few years and always ran them until the truck started to slow down. Maybe i was doing it wrong the whole time.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 11-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    When it starts to slow... not when it stops.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    When it starts to slow... not when it stops.
    OK, that's what I thought, thanks.