RC Qualifier

any good driveshaft fixes?

every fix I've seen on here basically says turn the summit into a revo. Are there any fixes that will allow the car to maintain its ground clearance without going to the small rockers? Otherwise I might as well get a Revo and just put the summit tires on it for my kid rather than buying a summit and having to turn it into a revo anyway.

RC poster
    I had big problems with stock 1/16 summit driveshafts. I broke driveshafts every single ride, I was desperate. Today a finished upgrade for traxxas steel cvds and e-revo P2 rockers and I put on again rear extended arms. I dont have any charged battery for test tide, but it looks ok, it wil be working good

Here ist the picture of my car, it has summit wheels, body, rear arms and e-revo rockers and steel cvds. I think ground clearance is still good.

Im sorry for my english

RC Qualifier
    so basically i can buy a pinion and a set of tires/wheels for the summit and put it on a revo and be better off? what about revo rockers with stock revo driveshafts? don't really want to go the expense of paying for the CVD's.

RC poster
    there is general opinion that revo stock driveshafts are better

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Honestly, a good portion of Summit owners end up with a MERV that has a Summit body after modifying it cheaply to be more durable.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    so stock merv driveshafts fit right in when the stock ones break or I could go metal cvds? Is that the way it works? stock merv are much cheaper I assume. I would just need to change the rockers and thats it? I could probably live with that.

RC poster
    just buy steel cvds and e-revo rockers and no more problems with axles breaking or chaepar option: buy merv driveshafts but there is more possibility they will brake (but less possibility than with summit driveshafts)

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    if you bash hard your gonna break the merv plastic axles, trust me, ive spent way more on multiple plastic shafts, I shoulda just got the metal shafts. it would have been more expensive up front but in the long run it would have been cheaper....

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    tomas, after you run a few packs thru PLEASE TELL US HOW IT DOES!!!!!! id love to put my extended arms back on in the rear and im hoping to get metal shafts at christmas

I wonder what I am doing different....
    I have ran the stock MERV shafts on 3S without an issue. Makes me think that some of this can be prevented with slipper clutch settings and possibly a center differential.

RC Qualifier
    I think peoples ideas of bashing is different and also what they can do with a car. If you keep the throttle on when jumping an crashing, things are going to break, if you are jumping 10 feet jumps, things are going to break. At any rate, likely I will do the stock revo driveshafts when the summit shafts break. Really too much to spend on the metal ones for the kid to play unless he is really into it.

curious to hear how the shafts work with the summit back arms though

RC Racer
    im hard on the throttle, have large tires (stampede wheels and tires) and my slippers pretty tight.... i like to wheelie

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfarmer13 View Post
    tomas, after you run a few packs thru PLEASE TELL US HOW IT DOES!!!!!! id love to put my extended arms back on in the rear and im hoping to get metal shafts at christmas
    ok, I let you know after replace destroyed slipper clutch (next week)

RC Qualifier
    Swap summit axles for revo axles then remove the metal ball stud u joints and install the ones from rustler axles, they're tight but they will fit. Good luck popping that. Did that for my seven year old evil kanival. I have a merv I wanted him to be able to still drive over big stuff and tall grass without going why not dad.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    Swap summit axles for revo axles then remove the metal ball stud u joints and install the ones from rustler axles, they're tight but they will fit. Good luck popping that. Did that for my seven year old evil kanival. I have a merv I wanted him to be able to still drive over big stuff and tall grass without going why not dad.
    so you buy the mini revo plastic drive shafts and the rustler plastic drive shafts and just swap them? wasn't there something about grinding down the end of the rustler part or something?

RC Qualifier
    Yes you might have to grind down the excess nub on the ball but I think that's only on the center shafts as it will rub. Didn't have to do any grinding on axles. It's only the steel ball you want not the whole axle. I believe you can get them by themselves.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    Yes you might have to grind down the excess nub on the ball but I think that's only on the center shafts as it will rub. Didn't have to do any grinding on axles. It's only the steel ball you want not the whole axle. I believe you can get them by themselves.
    do you have a picture by any chance?

RC Qualifier
    Here's a Merv axle with a rustler u joint before you would have to grind down the pin.

RC poster
    Looking to buy a 1/16 summit. So if I wanted to order the spare parts for a driveshaft change I would need (according to somewhat general consensus) one set of E-revo stock driveshafts (#7151?), a set of e-revo rockers (7158?), and a set of rustler axles for the metal ball stud U joints (1951?). Ate these the right parts numbers? I just hate to give my child this truck for Christmas and be unable to drive it soon after that because we've broken something. Lol. Preparedness and Spare parts don't hurt right? Thanks in advance!!

Looks to be the right part numbers

RC poster
    Thanks Jimmie!...

RC Champion
    letting off the throttle before it hits the ground will almost completely eliminate your driveshaft damage. loosen the slipper clutch a hair.

Revo shafts in the summit will hold up just fine - I swapped them into my brother's summit and he hasnt looked back yet. No need for fancy ujoint swaps just yet but you're more than welcome to play that game too.

RC Qualifier
    you should always let off the throttle before you hit the ground, not only will that destroy driveshafts, it will destroy gears and everything else? Is that why people are breaking the drive shafts? If thats the case, I won't have anything to worry about.

I finally got my truck last night in the mail. Gonna set it to 50% training mode so my son can play. When and if the axles break, I will probably do the axle mod mentioned here, just hate to have to lower the truck.

This mod with the rustler stuff can't be done with the stock summit axles can it?

RC Qualifier
    No the stock axles are made different, it has to be with the merv axles. I run the merv axles on the back, still have the stock axles on the front. I have not changed my rockers out, it just makes it a little more top heavy, and roll over easier. As mentioned before the merv axles are alot cheaper, and hold up alot better. I would suggest to run as is and upgrade as breakage occurs. That is of course just my opinon. Good luck and enjoy.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    so i can run the merv axles without using the revo rockers? only if I went with the cvd's I would need to change the rockers?

I believe so.
    The reason for the Revo rockers is due to the length of the steel shafts. The stock plastic has a much further range of motion than the steel ones.