Thread: A few Questions

RC Qualifier

A few Questions

I just recently traded a Revo 3.3 for a Summit vxl. I am loving it and glad I did the trade but I have a few questions

1, It came with one Lipo battery and a few of the traxxas nimh batteries. The problem is that it will run fine with the Lipo but as soon as I put the Nimh battery in it the ESC will start flashing Red and it wont work at all. What is causing this?

2, How fast will these things get with a Lipo battery and gearing?

3, What all gearing options are there?

4, This thing is wicked fast with the Lipo but almost impossible to control at speed. Is it just something that I will learn to do or is there a way to make it more controllable?

Thanks and all help will be greatly appreciated.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1) The ESC is in LiPo mode... it needs to be switched to NiMh mode to run NiMh.

2) With 3S LiPo and extremely heavy gearing (high heat) you can expect to see somewhere around 65MPH... IF you can keep the tires from shredding and the ESC from frying.

3) I have seen everything from a 9 tooth pinion all the way up to 31... and 55, 50, 45 tooth spurs.

4) To make it more controllable you would basically have to turn it into a Revo... lower and tighten the suspension and reduce as much weight up high as possible (different body). Tires make a huge difference as well.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Right on thanks. How do i switch the ESC to nimh mode? This is the first electric I have owned so I dont know alot about it, and it didnt come with any material so I am kinda lost on alot of it.

RC Racer
    Traxxas web site as manuels that will tell you how, let your fingers do the walking read and enjoy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Thanks jimmie.my tablet wont cut and paste

RC Qualifier
    i just read about this, you just hold the button down on the ESC till it changes color, red to green and vice versa, green is lipo mode, red is nimh mode.