Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Cooling

  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83

    Cooling

    I have a stock spartan running on 2 3s 4200mah lipos. I took it out today and the motor and the battery wires got really hot. I have been thinking of buying a metal water jacket and a rudder with dual pick up. Iv been looking at the ones offshore electrics sell. Has anyone used this brand and would this fix my heat problem. How can I cool my battery wires. Should I look at changing my prop size with a metal prop? Also is it worth putting a streamlined bullet nut on the prop shaft or is it just for looks. Does anyone have photos of the rudder with dual pick ups.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    Dual Rudder pick-up and the Metal Motor Jacket is the first thing to upgrade, you run in 6s probably you need a metal props.
    Here Is the image of the dual pick-up rudder

    Metal motor jacket

    Bullet nut with the metal prop.

    The purpose of the bullet nut is to eliminate the tornado effect while the boat is on plane, when you have the threaded nut, force is in the Center which makes the boat slower.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St Amable , QC , Canada
    Posts
    231
    the best way to drop the wire heat is to change it for the EC5 connector instead of trx one !!
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83
    thanks for the help guys. If i upgrade my cooling to dual pick up what brand and size prop should i get and is there a better prop shaft i can run.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    For the stock motor go on the Octura x442 or Prather 215 props. Your esc will have a long life with this props.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83
    Thanks for that. Is the stock prop shaft stronge enough to handle the power and a metal prop .

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    IMO The wire heat is normal to me, as long it won't burn the silicon skin, I want to upgrade for EC5 though I've been hook up with Traxxas, so from the charger, batteries & connector was all TX, I have a lot of batteries to deal with if I decide for a change.

    It would handle for a while, try upgrading to a .087 wire for a solid set-up
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-15-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: post merge
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    the best way to drop the wire heat is to change it for the EC5 connector instead of trx one !!
    This is a fact. The stock traxxas connector roughly handles about 70 amps (you'll see them rated for higher online). A lot of the heat issues with the Spartan's stock electronics are due to the ripple voltage caused by an inadequate connector. The EC5's are roughly rated at 120 amps.

    I have roughly 16 lipo's and 5 vehicles. It was a pain to change everything out... but it was well worth it on each of my applications. My buddy also changed his connectors out and saw temperature drops as much as 40-50 degree's on his Spartan's ESC caps.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83
    Thanks for the help it looks like ill be upgrading alot on my boat now. One other thing i have noticed is my shaft is starting to slip so if i go a metal prop with a .087 wire should i replace my coupler with a standard traxxas coupler or is there a better one on the market.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    No the .187 wire drive won't fit in it. You need an Octura coupler
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83
    will the .187 shaft fit in the standard brass tube

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    Yes, what you need to do is take off the Teflon liner in the brass tube to fit the .187
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St Amable , QC , Canada
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    This is a fact. The stock traxxas connector roughly handles about 70 amps (you'll see them rated for higher online). A lot of the heat issues with the Spartan's stock electronics are due to the ripple voltage caused by an inadequate connector. The EC5's are roughly rated at 120 amps.

    I have roughly 16 lipo's and 5 vehicles. It was a pain to change everything out... but it was well worth it on each of my applications. My buddy also changed his connectors out and saw temperature drops as much as 40-50 degree's on his Spartan's ESC caps.
    I negin to change mine too , but i choose the 6,5 mm bullet plug from castle !!
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    Bullet plug, you might strip the wires together unless make the other one shorter.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83
    I talked to the guys at offshore electrics and they said the .187 shaft wont fit the standard spartan tube even if i remove the liner. Is this true.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by revkev91 View Post
    I talked to the guys at offshore electrics and they said the .187 shaft wont fit the standard spartan tube even if i remove the liner. Is this true.
    Here is the reality
    Flex cable .187 left, .150 right

    Stock tube with the .150 stock cable

    This is the .187 cable just a few mm gap but it fits perfectly
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83
    thanks for the photos and all the help no hobby shops want to help me.
    Im going to get the aluminum water jacket, dual pick up rudder, dual water outlet and Octura x442 from off shore electrics. Do you have the links for where you brought your .187 flex shaft, streamline bullet nut, coupler and drive dog. That would really help.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by revkev91 View Post
    thanks for the photos and all the help no hobby shops want to help me.
    Im going to get the aluminum water jacket, dual pick up rudder, dual water outlet and Octura x442 from off shore electrics. Do you have the links for where you brought your .187 flex shaft, streamline bullet nut, coupler and drive dog. That would really help.
    Order the .187 shaft directly from Jeff wholt....www.rcraceboat.com

    The Aeromarine coupler and 9/32'' stuffing tube with a 1/4'' stepdown (so it fits the rubber grommet) can be found at rocketcityracing.com

    You can use the stock drive dog, and all you need for a nut is a 10/32'' locknut from ace hardware. The bullet nuts look nice, but lack in functionality.

    If you look back a few threads in the forum, you will see the post that details exactly how to do the upgraded mod. I did it over 30-40 runs ago, and have had 0 problems with my driveline since, my only issues now are with my ESC.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    534
    Your welcome, just knock in here, this is the purpose of the forum, I'm happy to share my experience, as when I were new to this hobby before then learned a lot and now sharing the best things that I got. But I'm still learning. Good luck!
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Just a note on the rudder. It looks like its a direct bolt on which makes things easy, but it is a "Hydro" style rudder. Hydro rudders have the leading edge angled to creat lift and plant the boat on the sponsons. Since the Spartan already has chine walk issues the hydro style will lift the transom and make the boat even more unstable and harder to turn. A loose vee bottom is fast but you also have to get on and off the gas all the time which stresses the electronics. To get more cooling you can add a water pickup. Adding a water pickup will require drilling the hull. But if your going to drill the hull I would change the rudder to a longer straight rudder to both help the cooling and chine walk. I used the one kintecracing has which made the system run cooler and the boat handle better.
    Also the 3/16 flex does fit the stock tube no problem if you remove the liner. Really no need for a liner if the tube does not make any hard bends.

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    37
    Thanks for all the info. TTT

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    Just a note on the rudder. It looks like its a direct bolt on which makes things easy, but it is a "Hydro" style rudder. Hydro rudders have the leading edge angled to creat lift and plant the boat on the sponsons. Since the Spartan already has chine walk issues the hydro style will lift the transom and make the boat even more unstable and harder to turn. A loose vee bottom is fast but you also have to get on and off the gas all the time which stresses the electronics. To get more cooling you can add a water pickup. Adding a water pickup will require drilling the hull. But if your going to drill the hull I would change the rudder to a longer straight rudder to both help the cooling and chine walk. I used the one kintecracing has which made the system run cooler and the boat handle better.
    Also the 3/16 flex does fit the stock tube no problem if you remove the liner. Really no need for a liner if the tube does not make any hard bends.
    hate to be going so far back for this.but if that rudder is not the best for the spartan what dual pick up rudder do you recommend then?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •