RC poster

New Spartan ESC issues

Hi Guys,

I just got a new Castle Spartan. Out of the box with the NiMh batteries everything seems normal. Prop spins and the rudder moves like it should. When I installed new fully charged 5 s Lipos I get a beeping sound from the esc. Flashes green (beeps) then if I pull the throttle light turns red (beeps). Rudder still works no prop spin. I re-tested with the NiMh batteries from the box, same result.

Does anyone know what happened? Didn't smell smoke. Just no prop action. Did I just fry the esc or motor? this is brand new out of the box.

Thanks

RC Champion
    Did you really use 5s packs or is that hopefully a typo? Try reprogramming the ESC, page 17 in your manual.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

If you installed 2 5S batteries you have over volted your ESC and likely damaged it.

The ESC is wired in series, so the battery voltage is doubled when running two batteries. In other words, to achieve 6S (22.2v nominal) you connect two 3S batteries.

Unless you modified your wiring harness to a parallel connection, your two 5S batteries = 10S (37.0v nominal).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Try contacting Traxxas, they stand behind their product and may help you out, but to be fair they are not obligated to warranty an unintentional over voltage.

There may be over voltage protection built into the ESC that can be reset, but I'm not aware of it. The owners manual or Traxxas customer service can provide that info.

hog

RC poster
    Then I misunderstood the advertising on the box. Supports 6s lipo compatibility. They should clarify that on the box.

RC Competitor
    its on the front of the box and the side, and is highlighted time and time again in the Manual ?

RC poster
    Anyways... I hope Traxxas will replace it.