RC poster

issue with titan 12t

i bought a new rustler 2 weeks ago(non vxl) after not even one 3000mah battery through it then motor died, i took it back to the retailer and they replaced the motor for me.
    Then today i used it for the first time with the replacement motor and it went about 10metres and the motor started smoking and died.

I was using the stock gears and battery that came with it. i know i can just buy a new (different) motor for it and it will be fine but its beside the point that 2 motors lasted me less then one battery pack.

Any idea if im able to get a refund from my retailer so i can get something with a different motor or will they just send it into traxxas for repair?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    you can find on youtube how to break in your brushed motor, this might help if they give you another one. what type of terrain were you running it on? (grass, pavement, loose dirt)?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC poster
    i was running it on very short grass and pavement but mainly on the grass.

RC Qualifier
    when i bought my 2wd stampede my first real rc car, i was running on grass and sand and the motor went out. there are not a lot of people on here right now but i dont know much about the brushed ones but when people like to use the brushed ones they break them in by hooking them all up outside of the rc car and letting them run submerged in a cup of water and set the throttle trim on the remote so that the motor will stay running and you dont have to hold the throttle the whole time. you can youtube it, i will try and find the video i watched and post it here in a min. it actually helps a lot... hold on i will find it.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC poster
    the second motor i received from the retailer only went for about 10 meters before smoking so i wouldnt have even made it through the breaking in process. seems the rebranded titan 12t is a cheap dodgy motor. gonna try and get a refund on the truck and get something else. $300 and i didnt even get an hours run time out of the 2motors

RC Qualifier
    if i were you, i would buy something brushless, those motors rarely ever go out on people. and you can run the stock batteries and when you wanna go faster you just upgrade to lipo batteries and change the gearing appropriate for the batteries your using and there ya go, no break in needed and way more reliable.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    you may be able to just pay the difference on a vxl version, that may be an option at you local hobby shop. maybe consider that before you give up on traxxas. I have never had any problems after i had the same as you did when i first started out. believe me brushless is the way to go and wont let you down on the fast side.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by davyjones'_fleet View Post
    you may be able to just pay the difference on a vxl version, that may be an option at you local hobby shop. maybe consider that before you give up on traxxas. I have never had any problems after i had the same as you did when i first started out. believe me brushless is the way to go and wont let you down on the fast side.
    im not giving up on traxxas just that stupid titan motor, i was planning on going brushless id just like to have what a paid for not a motor that burns out after about 5 seconds of driving even if i wont be using the motor for very long before upgrading.

RC Champion
    After 3 Titan motors , went with the VXL system and never looked back . NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT , guaranteed you cant go wrong .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    Most LHS do the power up option where it's like $100 for the Vxl system and you trade in your Titan system. But keep us posted. If you can get a refund I know you can build ground up brushless and get lipo and charger for around $300. If I knew then when I bought my NIB XL-5 what I know now I would have bought a chassis off of eBay and built from there.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    Most LHS do the power up option where it's like $100 for the Vxl system and you trade in your Titan system. But keep us posted. If you can get a refund I know you can build ground up brushless and get lipo and charger for around $300. If I knew then when I bought my NIB XL-5 what I know now I would have bought a chassis off of eBay and built from there.
    As far as im aware the power-up is only available in america. And im australian.

Going to the shop i got it from in the morning will see if i can get refund/ pay the difference and get vxl rustler.

Will post back when i get home, will buy a brushless setup monday when i get paid if they just stick another titan in it wont even run it, will probly sell the titan and xo5 esc on ebay if they give me one.

I love the truck so hope its resolved

Cheers!

RC Champion
    sounds to me like it was meshed too tight and the motor burned up. not its fault, yours.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    sounds to me like it was meshed too tight and the motor burned up. not its fault, yours.
    The guy at the hobby shop put the motor in when they replaced it and i didnt touch the motor or anything else. I just put the battery in and drove it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fred88 View Post
    The guy at the hobby shop put the motor in when they replaced it and i didnt touch the motor or anything else. I just put the battery in and drove it.
    If he put the motor in he had to adjust the mess , How is it going now ?
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    If he put the motor in he had to adjust the mess , How is it going now ?
    They replaced the motor, all good now he said the brushes were broken. Third times the charm. Love the truck now runs perfectly.

RC Champion
    Read the manual and break in the brushed motor. If you don't, its going to die again. If you do, its going to die again, just not as soon

RC Champion
    ^^

LOL Best statement ever !

Save for brushless it's gonna die. .
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Racer
    Im Australia and I hear you buddy, apparently I got extremely lucky when I bout my xl5 because my titan lasted 6 months until I made a stupid mistake and cleaned it my running in water (so it would have lasted longer). You can make the titan last if you take care of it and break it in, then clean and re oil it after every few runs. That's what I did and i was smart enough to listen to the people on the forums when I wrote this thread

I would say go for the velineon system but make sure you have and rpm front bumper and rear motor guard before hand. Otherwise you could go for a hobby wing water proof esc and a cheap tacon motor. ps where are you in aus?

RC poster
    Brisbane ^^^

Will probably go for a castle creations combo.