RC Champion

MotorStuff's Slash 4x4 Build

So I am starting this thread in the middle of the build process. It really began back when I bought a pede 4x4 from snowfighter in August.

It started looking like this.

Heres how it looks now.

Mods so far Are:

Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    Protrac Arms and Links
    Kingheadz Aluminum Motor Mount
    Snappy ESC Mount
    Stampede RX Box
    Aluminum Wheelie Bar Wheels
    RIT Dyed Chassis
    Casle MMP
    Traxxas Label 2400 Motor
    TQI Radio
    Traxxas Big Bores
    DuraTrax Lockup 1/8 Wheels and Tires
    Robinson Racing Gears

In The Mail:

MIP 17mm Adaptors
    MIP Heavy Duty Driveshafts F/R

Soon To Be Ordered:

Chevy Body
    Proline Body Mounts
    RPM Front and Rear Bumpers
    and Some more Minor Things

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Will update it as parts come in.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Thought I was sold on the Chevy body, and then I this......

Oh gosh... big decision.

MIP 17mm hexs came in today. Still waiting for the CVDs to come in tomorrow.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    Nice body just sucks u can't race with it on!

Sent from my iPhone4
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

That IS clean!

When you run the motor can you compare how hot it gets campared to the vxl. I want to see how much cooler it is. My bets 40*f
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah, I won't be racing. This is mainly a basher build.

I got the MIP 17mm hexs and heavy duty driveshafts in today. They both seem very good quality, but I'm having some problems. First, I was advised to order the rustler vxl x-duty driveshafts by the MIP engineer because I have the proline protrac kit installed on my vehicle. However, I tried and they do not fit on the front or rear, at least very well. After further research I found that the regular slash 4x4 ones would have worked. Sighh. I emailed him back and am currently waiting for a response. Also, the 17mm MIP hexs have a TON of slop. I am not sure if its something I did or a manufacturing mistake, but they will wiggle all around even when fully tightened. Even with the little spacers put in, its still there. This occurs on both the mip axles and the stock traxxas ones. I will research more on this as well.

I headed down to the hobby store yesterday and got eflite 4mm connectors soldered on the esc and motor as well.

I was able to drive it for a few seconds today. Its really not as bad as I thought on the 2s lipo. Liked the tire choice a lot also. Couldn't really tell anything about the handling because the wheels were flopping all around and I don't have a body yet.

Its looking sharp. Pics to come.....
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    After a bit more looking, the 17mm hexs seem to not tighten enough to make the wheels tight. Once the hexs are fully tight, there is still wiggle room for the wheels which can move all around.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion

Land of the free?

that looks great. nice ride. i really like the blue traxxas 2400.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Champion
    Yeah. It exactly matches the driveshaft but it looks lighter in the pics for some reason.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Just got an email back from MIP. The setup only works for the rear, which rubs. So I need to buy a different part for the front. So I'm out about $30 there. And I need to send them an email about the loose adaptors.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    So I've got all of the issues fixed now. I put some washers in the wheel adapters and they fit perfectly now. I will also only be running the mips in the rear. All thats left is bumpers, body mounts, and body. I will also be ordering the new spc 3s lipo that supposed to be shipping in about a month.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Yep, I'm still working on this vehicle. Things got kind of busy there. Just ordered the new spc lipo. Hope it performs well. Just need to pick out a body and get some other minor stuff. I've narrowed it down to a 14rs body, the silverado hd, the ranger short course, the focus, or the raptor. Having problems getting my hands on the proline extended mounts though.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    I stopped by my lhs today and picked up some rpm nerf bars, some body mounts, and a raptor short course body. Not my first choice, but it will fit the bigger wheels better than the others and uses stock mounts. Painting it right now. It will be blue with black accents. My first time ever painting a body or using an airbrush. Wish me luck!
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Bringing this thread back. Since them I've upgraded the servo and a few other things. Heres how it looks now.

Can wait to show you all what coming in later this week. Ill keep you updated.
    Last edited by MotorStuff; 05-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Just came in today. Some gtr shocks, aluminum casters, steering blocks and carriers, raptor scale body, proline adjustable body mounts, protrac kit parts, bearings and more.

First impressions:

The gtr shocks are VERY beefy. Plastic caps seem good as well. Only time will tell how they hold up. Ive heard people at the lhs exclaiming how much they affect handling so I cant wait to try them out. Heres a comparison pic with them and the big bores. Its a bit hard to tell in the picture, but the big bores are just pitiful in comparison to the gtrs.

The aluminum pieces are all traxxas and look like very quality pieces.

For all of those wondering about the proline body mounts, they look like a quality piece. The screw on caps screw into a metal screw and the caps are lines with metal. They are also a bit beefier than the traxxas mounts so Ill see how they hold up.
    Land of the free?

Dude i think this build is sick man and would love to see a vid in the near futurekeep up the good work....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Thanks alot. Got most of the parts installed and it looks pretty sharp.

Unfortunately the SPC batteries I need wont be in stock for a few weeks, but Ill definetly try and get some videos of it once summer hits.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion

Lookin good. Jacked the mounts up as far as they will go and even added sacers underneath them, but its still not high enough for me.

Sprayed the underside with a light coat of bedliner. Gives it a nice texture and adds strength, but sure does add weight.

Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Just had an aha/oh crap moment.

Was wondering why Im getting tons of rubbing issues with every body I use. Now I know why. The protrac kit. It maies it wide to the point where everything rubs on the body. Drat. Hope I dont have to take it off.

Any opinions on what I should do? Get rid of protrac kit vs get a roll cage and run it without a body.
    Last edited by MotorStuff; 05-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    Nice truck I have the raptor flo tech from proline love it
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Champion
    Thanks.

Im still wondering if the protrac kit is causing all of my problems.....
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Some new pics.

Im going to give some anacondas and a stock body a try. Probably slam it and run it on road for a while. Im also thinking that the 17mm adaptor Im using from MIP are pushing out the tires too for and making them rub on the body. We'll see if the anacondas fix that.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Just put an order in for a new SPC 3s 6500mah 50c lipo. Should be in wednesday. Hope to get some vids of it then.

Also, the stock center driveshaft bent. I ordered an STRC one. Is this more durable than the stock one?
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    If you are going to need onroad tires i would find suprasales on ebay, they sell 1/8 buggy wheels and tires for cheap and from what ive heard they have good performance
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Got my new spc hardcase 3s 50c 6500mah lipo in today. Has way more punch than the 4100mah 40c I was running. Hit 70mph geared 19/50. The rear tires have started loosing tread very quickly with this pack on only two runs as well. Secured it better too with the foam inserts.

Only problem, the battery mount post for my extended battery kit is bending already. Only time will tell how that holds up.

Took it for a run just now with, yes a lawn tractor light strapped to it. Lit up the whole road. Haha

Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like your rig is flying now.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC poster
    Man, sick build, it would be awesome to see it in person!!!!!

RC Champion
    ^^Glad you got to see it. Come and bash once I buy some wheels.

Just wanted to post some more pics.

Land of the free?

That is one mean truck dudeawesome work man...........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Just a little update. I got my new onroad wheels and tires in. Ofna premounts.

These little guys do GREAT on our newly paved asphalt road. They even have realistic tire squeel. No joke.

After all, there are only two seasons in Wisconsin: Winter and Road Construction.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Lovin these tires. Perect balance of grip and driftability. Not to mention they look great and cost less than $50 for all four.

On anoher note. I just got an HOUR on my SPC 3s 60c 6500mah pack. I did five miles.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Picked up a spektrum dx3c radio for it yesterday. I like its features and looks more, but Im having lots of range issues. The range gets glitchy after maybe 125ft.

Im going to be switching out the protrac kit for rpm arms so I dont keep having these rubbing issues with the bodies.

I also did install a castle bec because the spektrum reciever it an amp hog and the bec on the mmp is really weak. I really dislike all of these wires and still dont have a good mounting place for it.

I picked up some anza bearings for the rear, as my traxxas ones kept blowing. They seem to be holding up well.

I have decided to also switch over to a 3800kv motor later on. Im only concerned that those motors are very small for this vehicle.

Upgrades coming soon:
    Rpm arms
    Rpm shock towers
    Rpm mud flaps
    Land of the free?