Hybrid View

RC Racer

Do these pinions fit on the velineon

Hey I have found a cheap set of different size pinion gears and I was wondering if they would all fit the rustler Here they are
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190751998...#ht_1484wt_813

Here is the information they give you (plus an image)
    Robinson Racing
    48 Pitch Odd Pinion Gear Set

The SIX-PACK Starter Set is an economical way to test different gear ratios before buying lightened and hardened premium pinions. There are 6 different precision cut pinions that let you find the optimum ratio for you and your machine. 1/8 inch bore. Six 5-40 set screws included. The odd set includes 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25 tooth pinion gears.

Part Number: 1055

RC Champion
    Is that 5-40 the threads or is it the bore? I'd guess the bore because 5mm is a common motor shaft size. The Velinion 3500 is a 3mm motor shaft though.. which is more common.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Racer
    even if they would fit it says that they are not premium gears.at $3.00 a gear for premium gears I don't see that your saving much.if it tears up your spur gear then you just paid more.bite the bullet and get brand name premium gears.just my two cents worth. Troy
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

RC Racer
    Where can you get premium gears for $3 posted to Australia?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyKidd View Post
    Where can you get premium gears for $3 posted to Australia?
    can't answer that one.thats what I paid in the usa.but if I were in australia I would still pay what ever it cost and purchase only premium gears.but thats me and how I am.I had no idea what size I needed to go with the bigger tires I put onto my rustler so I got a 23t,19t and a 13t.I ended up going back to the stock 25t pinion at the end.I had fun switching gears and trying them out though,lol. Troy
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

RC Champion
    They should fit but I would watch what you buy , Like what they say you get what you pay for . hear are some others on ebay .
    Liquid RC
    PO Box 3173
    Nashua, New Hampshire 03061
    United States of America
    part number: ECX1074

ECX Electrix Pinion Gear Set (5): Traxxas Rustler VXL
    Overview
    Metal 48 pitch pinion that fits a 1/8th inch motor shaft.
    Last edited by rhardy60; 11-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    They are perfectly fine
    They do exactly what the descriptions says, they give you the chance to dial in your set up and find what gears you want to run with
    Robinson make fine gears IMO and this is the odd numbered teeth set there is a corresponding Even number set as well.
    Ive used them on all of my cars before committing to expensive gears.
    They are 1/8" Bore and NO they wont tear up your Spur gears, they just aren't made to last forever

RC Racer
    so what is the difference between these and premium gears (whats a premium gear)?
    I am happy to just buy three traxxas pinion gears 16, 23 and 25 because I also have the 19 tooth and 28 tooth
    but If these guys will do the same and last just as long then I will definatley get them because then I get more and for a less of a price

RC Champion
    so what is the difference between these and premium gears (whats a premium gear)?
    I am happy to just buy three traxxas pinion gears 16, 23 and 25 because I also have the 19 tooth and 28 tooth
    but If these guys will do the same and last just as long then I will definatley get them because then I get more and for a less of a price
    Like it said in there add , test different gear ratios before buying lightened and hardened premium pinions It's the material to make the gears which makes then a premium gear .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    so have you used these gears before? - Davee? being a new zealander I can imagine its even worse then Australia to get RC stuff cheap.

RC poster
    so have you used these gears before? - Davee? being a new zealander I can imagine its even worse then Australia to get RC stuff cheap.
    Yes Ive used them before,still use them in fact, they are steel, they aren't hardened, but they are well cut by a respected gear maker. Ive had no problem with them running with standard Nylon Spur gears. Ive always run them with a cover on. I imagine they would not like a stone running through them. As for noise I don't notice any difference between them and a hardened Aluminium pinion.
    If you really were strung out for budget you could just run them until failure, or as you have suggested buy the 3 gears you quoted to give yourself 5 pinion options.
    I'm only just getting back to building again, I might try and harden one of these I'm guessing it is a 4120 type steel, It wont take a lot to put a small depth of harness into it. I'll report back and let you know how that goes.

RC Racer
    all right thanks alot to all of you guys I think I might go with the traxxas pinions

I know both the seller and the gear brand. Never had an issue with either one of them.
    Nobody is born with experience.