RC Qualifier

summit VXL versus Revo VXL

I know this has been done before, I've read the posts but I'm still confused and I have to get my son one within the next week so hoping you could help me decide. I was pretty much set on the erevo mini until I saw the stampede 4x4 but ruled that out as its another 100 dollars plus the battery packs will cost me at least twice as much.

Anyway. I like the summit because it has bigger tires and looks more substantial especially when my son is looking at my Losi LST2 with 7 inch Cen tires on it. He knows he is getting a little truck as he is a little man but I want him to like it.

I know the summit goes slower, but i'm sure it would be fast enough for him. I also hear that the axles suck in the summit and it flips over much easier, but that it should go offroad better.

My main problem right now is that pretty much everyone says the revo is better than the summit. So what should I get for my son? He's only 3 1/2 so we probably use training mode to begin with but he is obsessed with speed so eventually I will want it to go decently fast. Is it pretty fast on 2S or would I need 3S and will it not overheat on 3S?

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    if hes going to drive in the grass id go for the summit. It has better ground clearance, and summits can go pretty darn fast. with 3s you can do standing backflips and 50 mph, plenty fast for a little guy. you will need to swap out axles.... they are the summit weak point.....if he likes big tires the stampede tires and wheels bolt up, but be prepared to upgrade the servo to a metal geared one. oh, and a fan.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfarmer13 View Post
    if hes going to drive in the grass id go for the summit. It has better ground clearance, and summits can go pretty darn fast. with 3s you can do standing backflips and 50 mph, plenty fast for a little guy. you will need to swap out axles.... they are the summit weak point.....if he likes big tires the stampede tires and wheels bolt up, but be prepared to upgrade the servo to a metal geared one. oh, and a fan.....
    yes, we would most likely go to the park to run it, safer that way as he's only 3 1/2. It says on the box that the summit driveshafts are supposed to be better, I'm guessing they aren't really. So by stampede tires, I assume you mean the mini tires like on the small gravedigger? I can't bolt the full size tires up can I? I assume that would need some major change in gearing.

Servo we could upgrade if needed, not a big deal. So you are saying on 3s, we would need a fan? Any recommendations. I've been reading through here and I've got that the integy one sucks but no real solutions as far as cooling the ESC. I see traxxas has a heat sink for the motor and toyz has a fanned heatsink for the motor, but for the ESC, I saw one person said they screwed a fan onto the heatsink but no info on how that was actually done.

Also, from what I have read, if it wanted to be more revo like, we just swap the rockers, and the tires basically and go up on the pinion?

Does the 1/16th grave digger body fit on this? He's a huge monster truck fan. I'd just buy him the mini grave digger if it wasn't 2wd and brushed.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    i bolted the full size stampedes up to mine, its a little hard to open the battery door, but it looks awesome. im running the integy motor fan setup on my esc, it actually snaps over the esc and works better than it did when I put it on the motor, I have had to replace the 25mm fan tho. the integy one burned up. I also run the traxxas motor heatsink (on the motor) if you are going to be running in the grass you WILL NEED some type of fan, no matter what tire size you run. currently im running the merv rockers and arms but with the huge tires I still have plenty of ground clearance. I m also running the plastic merv axles they are deff. better than the summits, but with my new tire setup I think im going to get the metal merv axles. I dont know about the digger body, I love my summit body, the exo cage is a deff. plus. my body barely has a scratch on it and im pretty rough on my truck. One other thing you may want if you go huge with the tires are metal axle carriers. oh, and my gearing, I actually went up on my small gear size (on the motor)b4 I went with the bigger tires, on the street my temps are ok, but i think im gonna have to get a fan for the motor or change gearing for runningh in the grass.

RC Qualifier
    would I be better just getting a revo and buying a smaller pinion and bigger tires? The drive shaft issue seems to be a problem that no one has fixed except for using the revo parts.

RC Racer
    I am getting the E revo and my firend is getting the Summit. (Both 1/16). They both are pretty similar and not that hard to change. Whichever one you get keep in mind you can buy new parts to turn it into the other one. I am getting the E revo because I like that it is good at speed, and bashing. Then again the summit is good at that too. Just get the one you and your son like most.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Qualifier
    My kid is getting a blue summit. Just waiting for the place to get it in next week. if the driveshafts break, I'll just use revo rockers and revo driveshafts. Best of both worlds and he still gets a truck with beefy tires that looks like daddys.

RC Racer
    Awesome! I know you two will have a blast!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Qualifier
    I hope he likes it. He keeps telling me he wants a different color every time we watch a youtube video with that color, he thinks one color is faster than the other.

RC Racer
    lol! I am sure he will love it no matter what!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC poster
    They are both almost the same car so both sound cool to me
    Summit 1/16 vxl

RC poster
    Few years ago I bought RC buggy 1/18 scale.
    I watched some videos and presentations, where I saw, that it can also go offroad. But I didn't notice, that all offroad videos were recorded when the buggy was driving on sand.

Later I realised that in our neighborhood we don't have such ideal offroad conditions. We have only forests with some smaller rocks. So I couldn't enjoy driving my buggy.

That's why I decided to go for Mini Summit and not for Mini Erevo. Mini Summit has higher ground clearance, allowing to be driven also in harder offroad conditions.
    I don't care about speed, I care more about being capable to be driven everywhere. So 50% setting is more than enough not only for my 7 year old son, but also for me.

I used 100% setting only once now, at open space ( sandy parking lot ).

Best regards
    Andrej

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dreja View Post
    Few years ago I bought RC buggy 1/18 scale.
    I watched some videos and presentations, where I saw, that it can also go offroad. But I didn't notice, that all offroad videos were recorded when the buggy was driving on sand.

Later I realised that in our neighborhood we don't have such ideal offroad conditions. We have only forests with some smaller rocks. So I couldn't enjoy driving my buggy.

That's why I decided to go for Mini Summit and not for Mini Erevo. Mini Summit has higher ground clearance, allowing to be driven also in harder offroad conditions.
    I don't care about speed, I care more about being capable to be driven everywhere. So 50% setting is more than enough not only for my 7 year old son, but also for me.

I used 100% setting only once now, at open space ( sandy parking lot ).

Best regards
    Andrej
    why not just buy a full size then? I'm only buying the mini because its cheap and its for my 4 year old. if I had to buy a truck now for myself, I would buy the CEN E-GST. That will go over anything.

RC Enthusiast
    Here is my 2 cents. I have both of the 1/16 revo and summit. They both have there pros and cons. If your going to be running in grass most of the time I would go with the summit. Other then that I would suggest the revo. Im running both on 2s lipos and the summit is very easy to flip on hard ground. The other problem I have found with the summit is when you do flip it, it stays on the roof because its so flat. If the summit flips your chasing it down to flip it back over, where about 50% of the time the revo will land back on its wheels. I have a 4 year old that has played with both of mine and she can not handle the revo at all. I turn her loose with the summit in the back yard and she has a blast. I hope this helps

RC Champion
    if you get the 1/16 summit you are going to want the 1/16 e revo progressive rockers to help keep it from flipping over which it likes to do a lot

RC Qualifier
    just bought a blue one tonight, should be here next week sometime.