Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Suspension settings?

Ok.. so after a year of talking up and bragging about my summit and how all around a summit is.... I finally gave into all the pier pressure and agreed to take it to my local skate park.
    So my question is, what should my spring preload be at, turns wise, and what suspension hole should I be on and do I want it low or high off the ground? Should I move my pinion gear back to stock or maybe even higher or should I keep it at 12/68?
    Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Oh, I will prob be doing some racing and some jumps. Knowing me I will prob get stupid and do something crazy and I don't want to break it. It's been about 4 months and I finally just got the time to get back into playing with my summits.

RC Qualifier
    Cant really advise you on specifics but seems you want lots of preload to absorb the hard landings. Either way you're gonna break something it always happens when bashing with other people, between showing off and 'one upping the other' the jumps get higher and higher until something breaks.

Example: last weekend I was bashing with a pair of 4.6 Savages but I didn't break nothing because I stayed within my limits, I did a few cartwheels but kept the stunting to a minimum, the other guys lost a wheel and stalled at the end. Not me I just kept playing

RC Qualifier
    IMO you shouldn't add to much preload. It's better to bottom out than putting all the force on the shocks. I suggest getting some progressive rockers, stiffer springs and put the push rods in the outer holes. Some thicker shock oil wouldn't be bad either.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    I only plan on doing this this one time and I'm going right after work today. So it has to be settings that I can quickly change back for my crawling applications.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    +1 Snowslider, add enough preload so you just bottom out on the more extreme jumps/drops. Allow your suspension to absorb the majority of the impact. Preload also aids cornering, it helps control the off throttle nosedive.

Double orange all around would be nice along with P2 rockers and pushrods. I have a set of purple spring shocks, P2 rockers, and extended pushrods(thanks Ebay) to swap out for extended track/bash time
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Champion
    There are so many factors with suspension: Tire wear, under-carriage wear, shock brace wear, etc... if you put too much preload, you'll break the shock mounts, if you don't put enough you'll wear the tires unevenly on cornering, and the list goes on.

Getting ideas is one thing, but the best way to find out what works best is: Do it yourself! I know that can sound rude, but I mean it as politely and excitingly as I can! Because YOU drive the way YOU drive, not how anyone here drives. You slow down differently, corner differently, jump/land and just DRIVE differently. So you need to adjust the preload, see how it handles.. adjust the ride height, see how it handles, and in no time... you'll have an AWESOME setup that works best. I only say this because there is no BEST setup other than the one that you make for yourself and once you do it you'll ask yourself, "haha how could I have ever listened to that ONE setup that ONE guy said to me!" At least that's how it has been for me.

Good luck, and remember if even you DO break anything, it's all a part of the hobby and cost is never much more than $5-10 for any of the parts anyway!

RC Qualifier
    Well I would like to thank all of ya for the info. I ended up trying to reload my springs and couldnt turn them with out taking them out so I left them alone. I also put my suspension on the highest setting and it was almost level. Just slightly sagging.
    Well after 2 and a half hours and 3 sets of batteries I didn't break a thing and I followed all the slashes and had no fear.
    These things are a beast. It may not have got more then 5 feet of air but it still did what all the reat of the rc cars were doing.
    Thanks again