RC Racer

Anyone know about car radios???

I have a car radio hooked up in my room on my gaming chair and was trying to wire up a dimmer for the faceplate. It has a orange/white wire on the harness that say its for illumination control (dash dimmer switch). I tried using a potiometer or how ever it's spelled, an run 12v to the pot then the orange wire. I get varying volts out of the pot but the face plate only dims down a hair and stays there. Same if I just applied 12v to the orange wire. I've looked all over the Internet and can't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Many aftermarket radios don't have adjustable dimming capabilities. They have a set amount of dim, an that's it.
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Racer
    check through the settings also what is the make and model someone might have the same or similar one on here. also you could check into getting some tint tape or spray as a last resort (very last resort)

RC Qualifier
    wow...reading up on this brings me back to the days when i used to do the same thing...(hooked up a car stereo in my room)...

i have an old pioneer with dimming capabilities....and it's the blue wire for me...that's where it gets it's "ON" voltage from...and when u adjust that supply voltage...it dims the faceplate...hope that helps...every stereo is different.

RC Racer
    It's a pioneer deh-p4000ub. In the settings it has a dimmer on and off setting. I turn it on and when voltage is applied 5-12 it dims a lil. I would think it could go more if it was preset. Might call pioneer tomorrow.

RC Racer
    So reading the complete manual today during school reviled something. Turning the dimmer function on causes the display to dim when the headlights are turned on. That makes me think that it is a preset amount of dim like suggested in a post above. Thanks guys for all the help. I was worried that it was just making a short. Makes a lot more sense to me now.

RC Champion
    If you can handle a little soldering and dont mind the work you could find out which wire sends power to the faceplate inside the unit. Then put a switch there so that you can adjust the brightness. Just be careful if you do open the unit up. Most likely there are some brittle ribbon cables in there.

You could also just put some light window tint over the face plate. If done right it could look really good. But even a small mistake will be really noticeable.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    some will have a dimmer wire that you can hook a potentiometer to. others, like the annoying thing in my pickup, just kinda dim the screen and thats all.

RC Champion
    get a different POT - I forget the math but there is a way to figure out which one you need. Last time I messed with them, I got tired of not getting the math right, and I just went and bought 3-4 pots and tried them all until I got what I wanted. I think it should be somewhere near 10K resistance or something like that