Thread: Frustrated !

RC Qualifier

Frustrated !

My piston chipped in my 3.3and a small fragment got lodged in the crank case. Had about 1 1/2 gallons through it. Always ran a bit on the rich side. Between 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 on hsn. Sent it to traxxas and received "0" support. Same story.... Buy new one. Well, I don't believe that the piston being chipped at the bottom is due to user neglect. I'm not a pro but I am confident in my ability to properly tune an engine. It was not pitted nor was the top scorched. Just frustrated with the lack of support since I have always been traxxas loyal and own 9 of their products. Guess I'll invest in a better upgrade engine!

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Racer
    My engine didn't last to long before the clutch bearing failed & when checked, the rear engine bearing was on the way out as well. always made sure it had a good amount of smoke from exhaust & never ran it to lean, never held it at WOT for very long either. I just decided to get a better engine & not worry about the 3.3 though. It had only had about 6 or 7 litres through it.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Champion
    Yeah I hear a lot of horror stories about the 3.3.
    If you upgrade to a big block I recommend a hpi f4.6 engine. (It comes stock in the savage!)
    Mine lasted through seven gallons of hard abuse and never broke a single part. Only thing I ever had to do to it was change the carburetor because the stock one stopped sealing for some reason.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Pics would help....

The piston skirt usually breaks on any nitro RC if the piston gets too hot... It is the thinnest part of the piston and this is the part that would become brittle after experiencing high temps....

I've 3 Traxxas mills. All of which have gone no less than 4 gallons and as far as 12 gallons before quitting and needing rebuild.. Each one has been rebuilt 1 time and they run great.....

I've still yet to see in my hands a TRX engine w/piston skirt damage that has not experienced high temps... But I don't see them all.. I do see a lot of RC engines though.... Traxxas and non-Traxxas....

guardog,,, can you post a pic of the piston top and bottom, and the sleeve both intake and exhaust ports?

I see you mention you HSN setting but how about your LSN? If not set correctly you will experience high temps...

Traxxas has replaced engines out of sheer courtesy, I know this as a fact, there are many posts that reflect it... Even when in some cases it was clearly operator error.......

Also,,, It may have been ran hot enough just 1 or 2 times to cause the piston skirt to become brittle, yet no break off/chip for a little time after that... Which throws anyone off as to the why's....

But if you can post the pics maybe we can see the issue.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    No pics...traxxas is sending old one back and I will just have to replace the piston and sleeve myself. Don't have 250.00 to drop in an upgrade engine 6 weeks before Christmas. Maybe Santa will bring me one

uh oh.... that didn't sound good

Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    No pics...traxxas is sending old one back and I will just have to replace the piston and sleeve myself. Don't have 250.00 to drop in an upgrade engine 6 weeks before Christmas. Maybe Santa will bring me one

You can pick up a new piston and sleeve AND conrod off Ebay for $60.00... New bearings for the engine, $20.00-$30.00, I use the Avids Ceramics myself, for the $10.00 difference I see why not...

Also have a gooood look at your carb, especially around the HSN look closely for any cracks,,, that can easily case a lean condition at high rpms only sometimes... The only way to tell those is a good WOT pass coming directly towards you after a good couple runs back and forth to get up to normal temps first.... Then do that WOT pass have it end up next to you so you can hit it with a temp gauge immediately... Sometimes a leak is overcompensated with needle settings, if the leak is small enough and the needles rich to compensate would you see this...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    An hpi f4.6 is only around $130 on ebay.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    An hpi f4.6 is only around $130 on ebay.
    True but then,,, be prepared for dropping more coin...
    Extended chassis or Monoblock extension, clutch setup, driveshafts, 1/8th scaled diffs...... Possible tanny metal gears or definitely FOC.....
    Something that always needs to be considered when going from a 3.3to a 4.6 ... The difference in displacement alone ensures oodles more power...

ME,,, I prefer being light and agile....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous