RC Qualifier

Traxxas EZ-PEAK ~ Have you had problems with it?

Hey my fellow slash 4x4 owners! I have a question for those that own or have owned the traxxas EZ-PEAK charger.

Have you had any problems or malfunctions with it?
    If so what happened or what was the problem?
    How long did you own the unit before first problem or malfunction occur?
    And finally which route did you take to fix the issue?

I ask because My Traxxas EZ-PEAK charger is roughly 6-8 months old and the start/enter button no longer functions. It still clicks when the button is depressed but nothing happens. No ding/chime. I can't advance past the program selection.

I have called Traxxas and spoke with a customer service rep but was left unsatisfied. The rep told me to send it back (at my cost) pay $60 and have a new one sent back to me. Or I could send it in and have it evaluated. But will still have to pay $60 to get a new one. I bought this thing thinking it would last atleast a year or two. It is really to bad, I hold Traxxas pretty high and have recommended the brand to many others in the past.

If this is the best they can do....

Nuff about that though, Please tell me your experiences!
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I just picked one up on eBay for 60$ shipped, and found several for 60-70$. Before paying to ship yours and paying 60$ (if you don't figure something else out) I'd search eBay.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Right there with ya. I wont be sending it in for 'evaluation' or replacement nor will I be buying another traxxas branded charger. I can get a different brand new charger at the lhs for $60 and have same day satisfaction! lol

But I am still curious to see/hear about others experiences and what they did about it.
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Competitor
    I have not had any issues with mine.... The fan is noisy and I wish it had more amps, but functionally it has been great for the last 2 years I have owned it...

RC Racer
    no iusues with mine. The only thing that happens is that the fan is really loud sometimes like a ERRR ERRR ERRRR then I give it a wack then its quiet. lol.
    Keep Calm and Bash On

RC Racer
    I have had mine now for about 1 1/2 months and it has labored in this time... lets see after about a week the fan bearings were sounding real rough i was hesitant to take it apart just in case it really broke during warranty period but proceeded anyways couple drops of bearing oil later and quite as a mouse... but other than that sometimes when i am charging a lipo after about 30 secs it gives out a low cell warning and i check it on another 3rd party independent voltage per cell checker/balancing device and the variance is like 3.14 3.15 3.10 I mean minimal... anyone else see this at all??? I can unplug it and restart it again and it goes fine sometimes after 2-3 times in a row...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    After spending some time reading in the charger forum, there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on it.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

My EZ Peak Plus 6 amp started making the infamous squeaky fan sound, and I just put a drop of oil on it and its been ok for 6 months now. It hasn't given any issues other than that what so ever.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    My EZ Peak Plus 6 amp started making the infamous squeaky fan sound, and I just put a drop of oil on it and its been ok for 6 months now. It hasn't given any issues other than that what so ever.
    Did u have to take it apart?
    Keep Calm and Bash On

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashBasher308 View Post
    Did u have to take it apart?
    you have to take it apart... the bearing on the fan has a sticker over it....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MooGooLikeIDo View Post
    you have to take it apart... the bearing on the fan has a sticker over it....
    ok thanks
    Keep Calm and Bash On

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the responses! I ended up with a professional grade 10amp charger for only $80 at the LHS with wait for it... A 1 year no hassle warranty!

Traxxas should take notes

I will be dissecting the Traxxas unit and repairing it myself. Just going to solder up a new button.
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Racer
    NICE!!! what brand is the 10 amp and does it let you do more than one lipo at a time or is it for a single big boy lipo???

RC Champion
    I have 2 a year old. Sometimes they would not finish a balance charge but if I switched from one charger to the other it would finish immediately. Sometimes on a storage charge it would go forever and time out and after reset still go forever and FINALLY finish. I just upgraded to a quad A/C charger and have had NONE of the problems with my 8 lipos I had with my 2 EZ-PEAK+. I can't totally say its the chargers fault but I switched charger brands and have no more charging or storing problems.