RC Racer

Tried some prop last weekend

I get my spartan wet last weekend to try 4 different prop : ocura x447 , ABC 45x55 , grimracer 42x55 and grimracer 42x66 . I tried on 3S , 4S and 6S ( only the grimracer 42x55) .

My esc is the sea king 180a and i got a castle 1515 2200kv .

I didn t break any speed record but i got fun to compare between these prop and on differnt voltage .

So i want to share with you my experience . The results can change a lot with different batterie brand and quality for sure .

here the video ! As you can see in the video description , i put the time of where each test are for an easy search !

The temp of esc and motor stay very acceptable , because i can put my finger on it no problem and like you see , i didn t small run !

Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Racer
    That's a sweet boat! Makes me want one! Thanks for sharing this
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    I got a lot of fun with it !

RC Qualifier
    Why can't you go full throttle on the Grimracer 42x55? Is it cause by the wind or the range?
    This is a nice water to play with more private, my Local Lake is expose to people.
    The x447, is it at the full throttle? I was wondering if you put 6s on it? Kind of weird speed.
    What is the GPS that your using?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    I can t put it full throttle on 6s because of the the f... wind . no problem with the range . I like to play there because , like you said, it s very private and got good room to open ! The only time i didn t put it full throttle is on 6s , all other test was full throttle . I m a little bit afraid to put the x447 on 6s because i got a castle 1515 2200kv and i m not sure if the esc with support it , maybe too much current !

RC Qualifier
    Where is that place?
    Hopefully next year well set a day to play

I like this place clear water

Pointe Cascades going West.

RC Racer
    The little river is in Varenne on the south shore of montreal near the marina ! Yes it will be super to have a day to play with our spartan ! Look very clear the place you play !

RC Qualifier
    Nice video. I've tried the x447 prop on my stock motor/esc spartan and it is by far the fastest prop that I have. I used my GPS to see what kinds of speeds I was clocking and believe it or not in the small stretch it clocked 52mph with the fountain on and drained lipo's. I've had the stock prop hit 48mph before but that was with the fountain off and with a set of fully charged lipo's. I also used a longer running distance than I did with the X447. Compared to my other props, at my other running location I think speeds of 60mph would be attainable.

On a side note, the x447 prop started to slip on my .150 Jeff Wohlt flex shaft with Octura coupler at full throttle. It eventually came off when I was running. I've been meaning to try and fish it out, lol.

x447 prop with a jump

x447 prop - 52mph GPS

Stock prop - 45mph GPS
    Last edited by AnthonyV; 11-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Racer
    You are lucky anthonyv having a pond so close . you achieved very good speed with the space you got ! I will take a look a your video when i ll turn back home this weekend , for now i am on my mobile internet and i limit my use ! The x 447 is not too much for the stock electronic ??? but a short can pass i think !! THis weekend , i hope the weather will be superb for a test , i want to try it full throttle with the grimraver 42x55 on 6s , and maybe ( Edge you give me a very bad idea ) trying the x447 on 6s !!! Let s see what happen , good thing summer is over and if i burn something , i will have all winter to check for something esle !! loll !

RC Racer
    Hey Edge , the GPS i m using is a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX

RC Enthusiast
    great vids guys. I love when people post their tests. Banzee, any way you could put those results vs. props on a chart for a quick comparison? Your dog is also, very tamed around your boat. My jack russell goes bonkers and chases after my boat.

RC Racer
    Thanks ! yes , my dog try to chase it , but he is too lazy and too slow to get agains it very long !! Loll !! I sure your jack russell got 10x or more time the energy of my great mix that 160 pounds !!

Ok , i ll try to charts the results of the video !

Grimracer 42X55 (3S Not try) (4S Not try) (6S 52.5 MPH ( not been WOT, too much wind))

Grimracer 42X66 (3S 30Mph) (4S 37.5Mph) (6S Not try)

ABC 45X55 (3S 28.3Mph) (4S 36.5Mph) (6S Not try)

Ocura X447 (3S 31.4Mph) (4S42.1Mph) (6S Not try)

Here another video i did 2 weeks ago , with the grimracer 42x55 on 6s , but it result of a fail because i put my lipo cutoff too high !!! I did a mistake in the video , i wrote overload protection , but it s not !!!

In that video , the first run go at 39.2 mph (because of the lvc) and second run i reach 47.5 Mph !
    but i like a lot when it come down the stretch on the second run , how it screem !!!
    Last edited by Banzee; 11-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Is your battery in full charge? Weather outside now is crazy that's what makes the battery performance less as it takes.

RC Racer
    Yes i got my batteries full charge . You re right , the weather make a difference on performance .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    You are lucky anthonyv having a pond so close . you achieved very good speed with the space you got ! The x 447 is not too much for the stock electronic ???
    Yep, having a pond in my back yard is super convenient. It's just not the best for high speed runs.

A lot of people have stated the x447 is too much prop for the stock electronics but I've had zero issues while running it (heat wise). I have an aluminum motor cooling jacket, I have opened up the single water inlet (on rudder), added an additional cap on the ESC, and changed the connectors out to the EC5's. I also have only ran this prop on Thunder Power 65c/130c 5000mah 6s lipo's (dual 3s). Motor temp was roughly 85 deg, ESC body temp 98deg, cap temps 96-102 deg, and additional cap temp 95 deg. I can tell that this prop drains the batteries much faster than my other props... but it is so much faster. I highly recommend all of you guys upgrade to the EC5 connectors and add the additional cap (if you're on stock electronics). You can then kiss your temperature problems away provided you have a decent lipo.

My buddy and I both have Spartans and do a lot of prop testing. If I get a chance I'll try to do a video with our results as well. We have found that using a radar gun on a boat is pretty much impossible. I currently use a Garmin forerunner 101 GPS to clock my speeds. Below are some of my results:

Stock Prop - 6s - Thunder Power 65c/130c - 51mph (fully charged, huge lake, full run)

Octura x442 - 6s - Thunder Power 65c/130c - 54mph (fully charged, huge lake - had to end run early due to chine walk) I always seem to break something or flip the boat when running this prop.

Octura x447 - 6s - Thunder Power 65c/130c - 52mph (almost at LVC, small pond, let off throttle early due to lack of running space - This prop should be able to do 60mph on a full charge and at the huge lake)

Pranther 215 - 6s - Thunder Power 65c/130c - 51mph (1/2 charged, huge lake - Never got a decent run in)

I also have an array of other 6s lipo's... but the Thunder Powers always give the best results.

RC Racer
    Yes you got good results !! I think i will change my purple batteries next year for something better because i did some math with the results i got and it look like my batteries don t keep a high voltage under big load like the boat !!

RC Qualifier
    ( Edge you give me a very bad idea ) trying the x447 on 6s !!! Let s see what happen , good thing summer is over and if i burn something , i will have all winter to check for something esle !! loll ![/QUOTE]

LOL! Just asking I wonder how fast it really goes, I wonder you don't have a rescue rig, that's why your afraid to flip your boat? And if you swim you'll get killed with the cold! LOL!

RC Champion
    That X447 is 5 mm larger than stock which is quite a big jump in size... You should be able to achive speeds in the mid 60's if you could keep the stock ESC from going by-by.

I have had to replace several stock speed controllers using the Qctura M445 and Prather 220 props running on 6s 40c 5000 mah batteries.

My best speed has been 63.9 and had to replace the speed controller. It still ran but the capacitors were puffed on top to the point it was unsafe to use, not leaking or looseing electrolitic fluid but severally expanded on top.

Just saying if you use the x447 on 6s at wide open throttle with stock ESC ..... you just may need some repairs.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Yes the x447 it s a big prop , so that why i want to try it on 4s to see if i can reach close to 50 mph , but i think my batteries are not enough powerful for that prop , i order a prather 215 ..

RC Champion
    I do still run the M445 and Prather 220 from time to time on 6s but reframe from any long WOT runs to save on the ESC. The larger props also tend to provide torque roll.
    There is a reason Traxxas went with the 42mm prop, the boat is so light weight that torque roll can show up when thoes larger props are used on 6s.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Yes i understand , larger prop ca perform better in choppy water , i mean when u you want to keep the forward motion of the boat , not trying top speed ! I got 1515 2200 kv and i found that the grimracer 42x55 work good for all around fun .
    Last edited by Banzee; 11-16-2012 at 01:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    That X447 is 5 mm larger than stock which is quite a big jump in size... You should be able to achive speeds in the mid 60's if you could keep the stock ESC from going by-by.

I have had to replace several stock speed controllers using the Qctura M445 and Prather 220 props running on 6s 40c 5000 mah batteries.

My best speed has been 63.9 and had to replace the speed controller. It still ran but the capacitors were puffed on top to the point it was unsafe to use, not leaking or looseing electrolitic fluid but severally expanded on top.

Just saying if you use the x447 on 6s at wide open throttle with stock ESC ..... you just may need some repairs.
    That's around the speed I was expecting with the x447 prop. Just curious, what kind of ESC temperatures did you have when you puffed the caps? As I mentioned before I've got very cool ESC temperatures and have greatly reduced the ripple voltage of my stock ESC by using the Thunder Power 65c's, EC5 connectors, and additional cap. With the short hole shots that I was doing my temps never really got above 100 deg.

The only times that I have flipped my boat was on the x442 prop, lol. After the first time I flipped it I made a rescue rig.

RC Champion
    It has been awhile since the high speed run so had to go back through my notes from a year ago (July 2011).

11 am
    no wind to speak of
    water - almost glass, 1/4 inch or less ripple
    Traxxas connectors
    Prather 220 stainless steel
    Batteries, 2 ea Skylipo 3s 5000mah @ 40/80c burst
    The run was 7 minutes long.
    Motor temp (metal cooling jacket) 130 degrees
    Batteries 115 degrees
    ESC 122 degrees
    Both capacitors were 206
    Motor wires 172 degrees

The above measurements where taken in the order displayed. Air temp or water temp not noted on the date this was done 7/17/2011.

The capacitor temps may have been a little higher had they been tested sooner.

I really had not experienced any major issues in prior speed runs but they were not long run times as they were just two way speed runs on an oval salt water pond.

No chine walk or porpoising but did experience some torque roll (not much) but enough that I had to steer a little left to stay on a straight line.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    ( Edge you give me a very bad idea ) trying the x447 on 6s !!! Let s see what happen , good thing summer is over and if i burn something , i will have all winter to check for something esle !! loll !
    LOL! Just asking I wonder how fast it really goes, I wonder you don't have a rescue rig, that's why your afraid to flip your boat? And if you swim you'll get killed with the cold! LOL![/QUOTE]
    the place i play it s not very large , so i can bring it to me with my fish pole , its not my concern , it s the ESC i m not sure if it will handle the amp of the castle 1515 2200kv !!! loll!

RC Racer
    so the season is off , i order a prather 215 to test it , but ice on the river came before the prop , so i will try it next spring :-( !

RC Qualifier
    I have that prop. Did run it, but haven't check the speed though I don't have GPS.

RC Racer
    What the temps and runtime compare to stock , did you check that ?

RC Qualifier
    On 3s approx. 5mins, temp. Is between 80-100f

RC Racer
    Good , i ll check that next season !

RC Racer
    time to study props for the next season and consider some good very good batteries to have better results !

RC Qualifier
    X445 & P225 is on my list, I wonder if X447 won't hit the rudder I might use it as well, though have to try the first two.

RC Enthusiast
    47mm prop won't hit the rudder. what is your whole setup edge?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    X445 & P225 is on my list, I wonder if X447 won't hit the rudder I might use it as well, though have to try the first two.
    i got the kintec 5 inch and it don t been it by the 47 mm prop !

RC Qualifier
    Ok I'll buy that x447 as well, my set-up is ESC Seaking 180a & a L4082 motor 1600kv, I have this for bigger props. tough have to set it this winter days, it was still in their boxes since I receive it LOL!, I'm still using my stock electronics for some reason speed & stability or if I flip the boat I have a spare to put on.

RC Enthusiast
    I have that setup in my gens cat with a y547 i have hit 79 twice

RC Qualifier
    That's great, I have a 26' cat as a rescue rig and put an evx2 with a 775motor and a Grimracer props. I know cat are more stable than v-hull though I like more how it seen the spartan with a rooster tail in the water.

RC Enthusiast
    o yea a cat is alot more stable than a v hull at high speeds i wasnt saying try and do that with the spartan as it becomes unstable at speeds over 60 unless its setup very well.I have have had my spartan at 66.7 with the stock motor and a sk180 and i did eventually flip it on the next run.

RC Qualifier
    Next year I'll set my own record that's my purpose of having 2 motors & esc.

RC Enthusiast
    to be honest i like just running it on 4s now 50-53 mph cruising around is actually fun and relaxing...lol