RC Enthusiast

New guy pinion question

I was at the understanding that a larger pinion gear made the car have a higher top speed buy with more strain on the motor. If so why the "high speed gearing for the merv a much smaller pinion? Any help would be great. thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    To lower the stress and lessen the heat on the system.
    Even with the "speed" pinion the manual states that running with a higher voltage, either 2 stock in series or a 3S LiPo, should only be done on flat, smooth surfaces for short periods of time.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    So if I wanted to do a stupid fast speed run on 3s I can put the original pinion in and run it for a very short time? I would only do this once so satisfy my curiosity.

As long as you have a temp gun, go for it.
    This will allow you to monitor your temps so you can stop BEFORE you fry your electronics.

RC Qualifier
    +1 to what Jimmy said. 180* F is the danger zone, personally I like to stay below 150.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    +1 to what Jimmy said. 180* F is the danger zone, personally I like to stay below 150.
    I'm sort of the same way, I try to keep mine below 140-ish degrees.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys!!! like I said ill probably only do it once to satisfy my curiosity as to how fast I can push it. 3s traxxas lipo on pro-line 3.6" tires on 2.2" desperados. Should be cool!

I must love living on the edge. lol
    I push mine to 180F and consider it a sweet spot.
    200F is the number you do NOT want to hit.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I must love living on the edge. lol
    I push mine to 180F and consider it a sweet spot.
    200F is the number you do NOT want to hit.
    I guess you do, I just like having mine geared and running cool so that no matter what I'm doing I don't have to worry about it getting hot on me, I still check the temps quite often though.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    I always heard that 160*f was the sweet spot and 180*f was when the magnets start to demagnetize. Granted I'm sure higher quality systems will take a bit more. I just like having some "cushion room" just in case.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    neu motors can take 300 degrees for some time but i have seen motors overheat with 180. remember if you take a reading of 180 it was probably 200 at it's hottest