RC Qualifier

Just about ready to give up

Hey guys, maybe you can point me in the right direction. I am new to the RC world and just purchased two used trucks. 1- 5309 Revo 3.3 used 2- T-Maxx 4907 3.3 used. I have a heck of time trying to get them started. I have set the needles to the recommended settings (4/1.75) turns from closed. I have primed/ de-flooed the engine, my glow plugs are good, I have good fuel flow, etc etc. I hve read all the info I can find on whats going on. When I do get them to start they run well. But its really frustrating when I have to pull start them for 20min to get them going. When I bought them both a couple weeks ago, their owners got them running in like 3-4 pulls ??? I have only had about 10 minuets of run time on each. Once they stall after a few minuets, its tough to get them going again.I think I might just sell these trucks and go electric, there so much eaiser. Anyone got any advise ???

RC Qualifier
    Take apart the whole engine, inspect and clean it. Make sure everything is working properly and moving smoothly. Clean the carb up nice and clean. I have an ultrasonic carb scrubber, not sure if you have one. Clean out fuel lines and order new if necessary. I washed out the whole tank when I got mine and let it dry for a few days
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Competitor
    Is it like that when they are cold? The motors could be worn out.Inspect for air leaks,bad carb gaskets,cracked or burnt fuel lines,busted fuel tank,split exhaust coupler,bad header gasket.If all else fails traxxas trade in is the way to go.When I buy a used nitro I go ahead and plan on putting a new motor on it anyways.
    TWISTED R/C

RC Qualifier
    How many pulls is normal on these 3.3 ? Why do they run so well when they finally start ? Im a little nervous to pull the motor apart. Will I loose anything taking the cyclinder off ?

RC Competitor
    +1 what beatnrcs said. i bought revo and a maxx off ebay used. both were the same way. a pain to start, but once they started they ran great. once they died, they wouldnt start again until they cooled down. bad compression. i traded in both 2.5 for 3.3. u buy used, plan on getting a new motor. best thing to do, is pull up an exploded view of the motor. that will help u if u decide to tear apart motor. both of trucks can sit for days on end start up on 2 or 3 pulls after priming.

RC Qualifier
    Don't be nervous to pull them apart, its so easy if you know your way around engines
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC poster
    yes,i would not have anything i didn't know how too work on!don't be scared .get the right info from traxxas they give you the expl. view just check it out.thats part off it but sounds like new engine time $110.when you do that go with 30% fuel and 5 turns hsn,1/16 out lsn after break in

RC Qualifier
    So I found some filings in the top of my 3.3 when doing so cleaning. This is as far apart as I could get it. Should I replace the whole thing or rebuild ???

Its hard to see but the skirt on the piston is breaking apart. I think this was due to having to much pressure on the spur gear as the motor was tightened on a bit of an angle. Thoughts ? Not that its any different, but this was my Tmaxx truck

RC Qualifier
    I did clean up my Revo motor and its running great. Thanks for the tips on the motors. You guys were right, very easy to work on. But I cant figure out how to get the piston out of the motor above ???

RC Qualifier
    You need to remove the sleeve first. I usually put a zip tie through the exhaust port and turn the flywheel. The sleeve should rise up so you can remove it.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Well, gettin a new motor now lol. My buddy tried to tap the crankshaft pin out, and he cracked the housing. So now I gotta find a motor
    Last edited by Double G; 11-17-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: language, watch it

RC Qualifier
    I can take the truck off your hands lol

RC Qualifier
    Johnzilla your inbox is full

RC poster
    Ditch the pull start and get a side tiger drive. I can tell you how much a I hate pull starts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzillia54 View Post
    I can take the truck off your hands lol
    Not a chance, lol. New motor coming.

Whats a side tiger drive ? Its able to go on the 3.3 ?

RC Racer
    ofna roto start way better than tiger drive