RC Enthusiast

New Revo owner, bought a crate full of used stuff!

Most random purchase I've made in a while.....

Was at an antique store in Placerville, CA and ran across a plastic container full of Revo parts and a truck. I have no idea if it runs or not but I got it for cheap, scary I know.

I downloaded a manual which is helping a lot (for model 5310). It has a TM323 engine in it but everything else seems to be stock. It came with a full truck, controller (no crystals but just bought some online), spare set of wheels/tires, 2 x ez start2 with batteries, servo charger, prophet plus charger, 2 gas bottles and some spare bumpers.

Paid $80 (talked them down from $130).

Any tips on what I should look for first would be great, I planned on getting it cleaned up and putting gas into it to see if it works. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the motor is bad but who knows!!!

Looking forward to learning a lot and doing tons of research. (first nitro car)

Tear it completely apart and start from scratch by cleaning it up, replacing the fluid in the diffs and shocks then rebuild using the exploded views. This way you become very familiar with how the truck is put together. One thing: when replacing the diffs in the bulkheads make sure the up arrow is facing up. Also there are various parts that can be tuned to how the truck handles: such as the bulkheads, axle carriers, castor, camber and toe.

Also read the manual pretty thoroughly as it will tell you how to tune the various parts and save you some headache later after it is put together.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Great advice, I'll look into all of that for sure.

RC Enthusiast
    Anybody want to make some guesses on what could or probably is wrong with it?

Looks like it has a bad glow plug. Charged up the battery in the starter and tried to see if will turn over and the glow plug light doesn't illuminate. Checked the wire and it seems fine. There's one!

RC Champion
    Do u have anywhere u can get a plug ignitor?

RC Enthusiast
    Isn't that what the ez start 2 is? I've got 3 of those.......

Or are they not that reliable? Maybe need to clean the engine up, maybe it's gummed up? It's not even turning over, nothing happens.
    Last edited by uphoto; 10-22-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Should be four wires: red & black go to the starter motor, yellow grounded to the block and blue to the glow plug.
    Tear the engine apart and clean it up. No telling what it has been through or cared for.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Found a glow plug at a local store. That was one of the problems because now it will light up and try to turn over but it's not getting any gas. We're getting somewhere!

RC Champion
    If youre not versed in Nitro, it could be frustrating - ready watch and gather all you can before you get really into it.

Congrats and good luck - we're here for ya buddy!

RC Qualifier
    I bought my first revo for $100 cause the guy couldn't even start it and it had a bunch of integy junk on it lol

Welcome to the nitro game.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Enthusiast
    So I pulled the motor out and cleaned it all up. Motor looked okay to me......didn't really know what to look for but it's not gummed up at least. Put it back in and won't start up. It's tough to tell but I don't think I see any fuel going thru the line when it's trying to turn over. I tried plugging up the exhaust for a second or two to prime it and again I don't think any fuel is coming up out of the tank.

RC Competitor
    since its your first nitro, i would quite tear into disassembling everything. just keep doing what your doing. start easy and work your way into it.

check the bottom of the tank for debri. if there is a filter down there check that too. check or replace fuel line as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Just an update!

Motor was bad

Since I'm new to the trucks I thought I would keep it simple and put in a new 3.3 Traxxas motor Now she is running!!!

Had a fun first day/break in. Bought a new metal front/mid skid plate and found out that the front lower arm was broken so now I'm going to just get new upper and lower arms for front and back.

One issue I noticed was that a few times I rolled it and put it back on it's tires and it would not move, it would just rev but not moving an inch. If I pushed it forward it would then engage and go. What could this be?

RC Champion
    Does it still have opti drive and reverse? That's prolly why
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 11-20-2012 at 05:04 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    optidrive yes, reverse no.

RC Champion
    I would take the trans apart again and double check that theres no stripped gears.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    If u don't have reverse u can/should just pull that opti drive mess out!

Does it still have the reverse gears just not hooked up or does it have Forward only

RC Champion
    Yeah thats weird. I thought they only had optidrive if they had reverse. Thats the only thing its there for.

RC Enthusiast
    Well at least the reverse doesn't work.........

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by uphoto View Post
    Well at least the reverse doesn't work.........
    Right. So it may be a problem in the tranny.

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't taken the tranny out so I'm not familiar with it yet. Might have to do that to see if it has the reverse gears and/or if there is anything messed up in there.

RC Competitor
    Is the clutch in good shape?

RC Enthusiast
    yeah it seemed like it was in good shape when I had the engine out.

RC Competitor
    Yea i would check that and the clutch bell. If not than then see what the tranny looks like.

RC Enthusiast
    OUCH!!!!! Inside of tranny is full of plastic dust......

need to find image hosting so I can show you pics......black plastic gears have most teeth missing.

RC Enthusiast
    It's the reverse gears.....they are trashed.

RC Champion
    Okay, well take them out and just put the forward gears back in. (After you completely take apart the tranny and clean everything, of course!)
    There is a specific way to put them in for forward only without having to mod or buy anything. I don't have a picture of it though. Its prett easy to figure out.

RC Enthusiast

The three gears in the middle (black ones), I need the right one and the bottom one. Found the right one on towerhobbies site, it's the reverse primary gear but can't find the bottom one.

Anybody know what it is?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Okay, well take them out and just put the forward gears back in. (After you completely take apart the tranny and clean everything, of course!)
    There is a specific way to put them in for forward only without having to mod or buy anything. I don't have a picture of it though. Its prett easy to figure out.
    If I can get the part I don't mind having reverse, would be nice.

RC Enthusiast
    Think I found it. Reverse output gear

RC Enthusiast
    This truck was beat up.

RC Champion
    Yeah usually if somebody stuffed it in a box in mostly parts then its probably not in too good a shape.
    Reverse is nice for someone who doesn't like to run to go get his truck thats stuck up against a fence idling away.