RC Qualifier

New SPC lipo damaged

Pulled my new 5600 3s 50c lipo from SPC out of my storage bag and noticed the shrink wrap had melted. I only charged it one time and used it for like five minutes then storage charged it. Sent a picture of the damaged battery to SPC. The cells are all good. Waiting to hear back from them. In the mean time I wrapped it with electrical tape. Picture to follow.

RC Qualifier
    Any suggestions as to what could have happened?

Sent from not a iphone

RC Champion
    Looks like it touched something hot, otherwise had a tiny cut/crack in it and cold/heat caused that to reveal itself.

The cells in that picture look fine, if there was any heat down THERE (unlikely) it would have left black marks on the cells imo.

RC Champion
    I would just wrap it with electrical tape or maybe a piece of lexan then e tape

Edit... Just seen that u already did that

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Looks like it touched something hot, otherwise had a tiny cut/crack in it and cold/heat caused that to reveal itself.

The cells in that picture look fine, if there was any heat down THERE (unlikely) it would have left black marks on the cells imo.

+1. I would think that something else near it was hot and melted the shrink wrap. I would think that it it were that pack that did the damage, the cells would have vented, caught fire, swelled, or at least some sort of dis-coloring.

Did you do any dremelling on that side? Maybe you left a sharp piece of plastic that cut it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Just remembered something. I store my lipos (4 of them) in a lipo safe bag. I removed my 3cell venom to use it. I put the venom on a balance charge and immediately got a charge fail message. I used my cell test meter and one cell was like 1.20 v and another was 2.3 and the third was ok. There was no swelling noticed on the venom. I don't know for sure if the SPC was next to the venom or not, but I suspect it was. I did away with the venom by dish charging completely with a 12 volt bulb then salt water. Anyway I think I will let it ride unless SPC tells me different. Thanks for the quick response guys.

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Did you do any dremelling on that side? Maybe you left a sharp piece of plastic that cut it.
    I did have it in the new p2de when I was working on it. No dremeling though. I had the basher hold downs snug but not over tight. Plus I had installed a rubber cushion. I need to think about what I did when the batt was installed.

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    Oh snap. I think I just figured it out. When I was heating the heat shrink tubing on my esc switch I could have done this. I use a bernzomatic torch/ solder iron. It puts out a narrow blue flame that is adjustable. I bet I got close to the batt. I am going to put it back in and see if that's what happened. Pretty sure it was. Ok I am happier now.

Sent from Oser world

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I've noticed that some of my larger packs wrapped in that black shrink seems to have problems with the shrink cracking. It seems like its too thin or brittle. On my 8200's I just wrapped them with a 2nd layer of heavy duty shrink. It's not a problem with the pa k, just the shrink. I suspect as the pack sat the shrink got more brittle and simply split. No biggie.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I've noticed that some of my larger packs wrapped in that black shrink seems to have problems with the shrink cracking. It seems like its too thin or brittle. On my 8200's I just wrapped them with a 2nd layer of heavy duty shrink. It's not a problem with the pa k, just the shrink. I suspect as the pack sat the shrink got more brittle and simply split. No biggie.
    I here you. I just checked the cells 3.81, 3.81 & 3.82. I am going to roll with it. Going to the bike jumps tomorrow. My first time going there. Going to give that SPC a test then. Thanks

Sent from Oser world