RC Enthusiast

Switch from Titan to Velineon

Just curious, I just upgraded my slash from a Titan to the Velineon motor and I was wondering, what kind of noticeable improvement should I be looking for? Ran it very briefly this afternoon and, to be honest, I barely noticed a speed difference, if there was one at all. Then again, I didn't put on my street tires nor have I changed the pinion or spur gears any.

Thanks for any input fellow Traxxas owners
    Last edited by Coupdvil; 11-11-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Mike Jenkins 5803 Slash

Just curios.. Did you have bearings in your truck or do you have bushings. If you have bushings switch them to bearings.

YOu should notice a difference..
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    If you are still running the same NIMH or 2S lipo battery, you might not see a huge improvement in outright speed. Now switch to a higher output battery like 3S and thats where the brushless setup starts to put more use out of it. Otherwise you will be getting mostly efficiency improvements more than anything (longer run times, consistent power that doesn't fall off, less maintenance issues, etc). Speed is directly dependant on how much voltage it is getting. So if you put the same current through a bigger more powerful motor, you won't get any speed increases. Upgrade your battery and stand back

RC Enthusiast
    When I first got my VXL it tried it in the street in front of my house with a NIMH battery since I had not gotten a lipo yet. It seems there was a slight speed improvement, but it could have just been in my head. When I got my 2S lipo there was a HUGE difference, there was no mistaking it. What kind of battery are you using?

RC Enthusiast
    I was using a 6 cell NimH before and after and noticed a HUGE! Speed difference.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you have bearings in your truck or do you have bushings
    Assuming you mean for the wheels, it's bearings, but I may be completely wrong in my assumption

If you are still running the same NIMH or 2S lipo battery, you might not see a huge improvement in outright speed
    I think this may be hitting the nail on the head. Still using the same 2s lipo's I bought soon after the Traxxas purchase. Obviously I'll be getting a pair of 3s lipos but this just leads to another question. Since I haven't visited this site in a while, where are the deals again for 3s lipos?

Thanks again for all your help veterans

Steve
    Mike Jenkins 5803 Slash

RC Competitor
    Hobby King has great deals on 3S. I have a hobby king nan0 tek 50C 5000 Mah I pickup for under $40 shipped. If you go 3S, you WILL break more parts, but you will have more fun with your truck

RC Racer
    OK. Maybe I am taking this the wrong way. I am running a Titan with 2S lipo. So if I dump the money for the traxxas brushless and still run 2S I am not going to notice a difference?

At the track those brushless dudes are CRAZY fast.

Help.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trashyrich View Post
    OK. Maybe I am taking this the wrong way. I am running a Titan with 2S lipo. So if I dump the money for the traxxas brushless and still run 2S I am not going to notice a difference?

At the track those brushless dudes are CRAZY fast.

Help.
    No itll be much quicker with the brushless motor...

RC Racer
    That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks jem450r

RC Enthusiast
    nan0 tek 50C 5000 Mah
    So, lemansfanatic and 1fastmr2, is this what you suggest?

******* ********** 5000mah 3S 40~80C Lipo Pack (TRA2872 Slash/Slash 4x4)

or this one

******* ********** 5000mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack
    Both from Hobby King, obv

Thanks again everyone
    Last edited by Coupdvil; 11-13-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Mike Jenkins 5803 Slash

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jem450r View Post
    No itll be much quicker with the brushless motor...
    Its not going to be a drastic jump if you are already using Lipo. Most people will notice quicker throttle response, and more even torque curve, which when running on a track does make a big difference. But if you take them to the street and drag race or do a top speed comparison you won't see a huge speed difference.
    Two key things effect speed: The amount of voltage you put to the motor, and how efficiently the speed control and motor combine to deliver this voltage to the tires> So if you go to brushless you are simply improving the delivery of the power, not the quantity.
    Plus, the guys who use brushless at the track also are typically also the ones who know exactly how to tune their slipper and diff, and what shock oil and tire combination makes the truck bite, which all of this together makes them much faster than a box-stock titan slash owner who hasn't dialed in the truck yet.
    To summarize, outright crazy speed difference? - NO. More precise power, delivered to the wheels quicker making use of the motors improved torque to get out of the corners quicker? - YES (driver tuning ability and driving ability also make a huge difference)

Edit: Also some of the other non-traxxas types of brushless systems let you tune the torque delivery curve to accommodate the type of driving pitfalls you have. So for example if you are having a hard time getting the wheels to bite coming out of a slow corner, you can shape the power delivery to be a slower ramp up. Or visa-versa, if you only want power off the line and don't care about top speed, you can program it to dump the throttle from a standstill if you want. The only downside to these types of speed controls are the INSANE prices you will pay. Thats why I went with the VXL, its not as tuneable but still gives you all the power you can handle. Try throwing a 3S in there and tell me you still need more power!
    Last edited by lemansfanatic; 11-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the help everyone. After getting a 3s battery and giving it a go, I can see the huge difference now. Now to borrow my friends Go Pro camera so I can video my dog 'trying' to chase it now.
    Mike Jenkins 5803 Slash

RC Qualifier
    I switched from the stock Titan to the castle 3800 motor and while using the same 2s lipo I noticed a HUGE increase in both top speed and torque. That's was just my experience but I think you should see a noticeable improvement when going brushless. If your not try checking your esc to make sure it's not in training mode.

RC Competitor
    Depends on the wind of the motor... Some stock classes allow 17.5 turn brushless setups to compete with stock titans. They wouldn't allow this if it gave a huge unfair advantage in speed.