Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Champion

Trauma to part #7430 yikes I'm wounded!

Wanted to get out and run the rally a bit today so found a nice parking lot, of course we know there is always an obstacle that will found in any parking lot................

Just running stock gearing and a 2s Lipo and was having a blast when I got a little wide and went off the blacktop and into a little grass strip that had a parking sign planted in it
    I hit it direct onto the driver side front corner, thought all was well, no body damage at all but..........................noticing the wheels turned sharply and locked I rolled ole BLUE over to find this!

This plastic seems quite brittle? Oh well, time to get a replacement and a spare! Thought I would share some potential carnage possibilities to those that have impact with stationary objectsNOT recommended obviously LOL

Wow, that's a bad spot for it to break like that. Sorry about the breakage. Glad you had fun doing it though!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    I wonder if the dying of the chassis made it brittle?? Looks like a wierd spot to break must have hit perfectly to do that isn't that the way it always happen though lol. Good luck with getting back up and running fortunately if they are like the slash 4x4 they it shouldn't be to bad to replace, anyway god bless and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    I wonder if the dying of the chassis made it brittle?? Looks like a wierd spot to break must have hit perfectly to do that isn't that the way it always happen though lol. Good luck with getting back up and running fortunately if they are like the slash 4x4 they it shouldn't be to bad to replace, anyway god bless and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The broken bulkhead component is factory stock black I did not dye it. It comes apart easily just finding the replacement part was a big challenge but I ordered two!
    Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    I wonder if the dying of the chassis made it brittle??
    Looks like he didn't, but, boiling parts while dying them usually makes them more flexible than stock ones...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Looks like he didn't, but, boiling parts while dying them usually makes them more flexible than stock ones...
    Good point daniel. It might be a good idea to go ahead and boil it.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Dont think that part get dyed... its black to start with.

Bad break, as you well know, every vehicle has a weak point or two. Perhaps thats one for the rally on frontal impacts. Or, just a freak accident... I guess we'll see.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I don't think its a fluke I broke mine the other day also... CA did not work to fix it either lol. I was shopping around for the part and there aren't any in stock, except ebay, through horizon hobby what the?!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by roachtron View Post
    I don't think its a fluke I broke mine the other day also... CA did not work to fix it either lol. I was shopping around for the part and there aren't any in stock, except ebay, through horizon hobby what the?!
    I bought (2) of them, I have a feeling judging by the material make up and the distance from pan foward that one may break again.
    If you get skunked and can't find one to purchase I will offer my extra to you. I ordered off their website, shipping was cheaper than Ebay rates.
    How did yours break, impact with a curb or landing impact?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    I bought (2) of them...
    from where ? i'm not finding parts in stock yet anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Corex2 View Post
    from where ? i'm not finding parts in stock yet anywhere
    horizonhobby seller on ebay. $6.00 for the part and $7.99 shipping. Ouch!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    horizonhobby seller on ebay. $6.00 for the part and $7.99 shipping. Ouch!
    From their store site it is $6 plus 4.99 shipping and I ordered two at that price and that shipping. I also checked Traxxas first and that part showed and still shows OUT OF STOCK

7430 is in stock in our warehouse.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback187 View Post
    7430 is in stock in our warehouse.
    I tried you guys first and below is the same message I got late yesterday afternoon? If it 'is' available then something needs fixing on supply.
    If it is available send one to Roachtron, he needs one!

I also think this area or this makeup of plastic may be a weak link, I am no expert but it seems brittle, maybe fiber reinforcement or more flex would stop the sheering action. I would expect a crack or partial tear but this is the result as you see it actual. Rhat was a pretty nasty shearing for the speed I was going, outside temps were 68degrees too so I am thinking colder will be worse IMO. I am not complaining, I am only suggesting to take a closer look at the situation for improvement otherwise it easily becomes an aftermarket part for someone like RPM to improve upon? I'd rather see it better for the next guy or kid that doesn't have the knowledge or his or her Dad or Mom doesn't have the ability to fix it.

I really am impressed with the handling and I have not yet tinkered
    Thanks for your response Hunchback187
    Karl

Products meeting the search criteria

Accessory Parts Listed in Blue
    Model Product Name+ Price Buy Now
    7430 Bulkhead, front $6.00 Out of Stock
    Last edited by kwitty; 11-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Give us a call in to customer service we can take the order over the phone for the part.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback187 View Post
    Give us a call in to customer service we can take the order over the phone for the part.
    Thanks that will be helpful to the others that need it or want to get a spare

RC Qualifier
    i Broke this part too ! I have been looking for a replacement for the last two weeks!
    LMK where you found one!
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLOer View Post
    i Broke this part too ! I have been looking for a replacement for the last two weeks!
    LMK where you found one!
    Call Traxxas Customer support................also sent you a PM

They will ask what color your car is too, that way they know how 'fast' you were or were not going LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LiquidRC always saves my day, in stock now:

http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=82079

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    LiquidRC always saves my day, in stock now:

http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=82079
    Ordered but they have not been the most reliable so we will see.
    Thats what Paypal Protection is for!

Theres the part,I broke it on October 25th Doh Looking for that part since!
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLOer View Post
    Ordered but they have not been the most reliable so we will see.
    Thats what Paypal Protection is for!
    Never had a problem with them and I have over 50 orders with them... Can't beat $1 for International shipping...

RC Champion
    ^^ Hey you are a copy cat! LOL ^^

See my PM to you

Figures a Blue Rally would be going fast enough to break the chassis. I don't see the other colors doing that...

Hope you get up and running again, and soon.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Mine was orange :P
    Btw Kwitty is the MAN!!!!
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    I want to thank Traxxas for some very kind customer support to help out a situation with someone needing this part for their Rally

Now if I could just get my #7411 body to paint LOL
    O.G. BLUE is fast, very fast LOL
    YOLOer............you are very welcome

I want to thank Traxxas for some very kind customer support to help out a situation with someone needing this part for their Rally

Now if I could just get my #7411 body to paint LOL
    O.G. BLUE is fast, very fast LOL
    YOLOer............you are very welcome
    Waiting on those myself. I'll let you guys know when we have them in stock.

RC Qualifier
    I got the last 1Liquid had in stock last night
    Now I'm prepared for when I break mine..

RC poster
    ouch. I can't believe two people broke it in the same place. I drove mine into a curb at nearly full speed and that part survived, but the chassis cracked, right next to the servo. I superglued it since part # 7422 is not in stock anywhere right now. It seems like it'll hold for now.
    I also broke a shock and bend my drive shaft to about a 10 degree angle. This was not a light impact.

My question to you is, did either of you hit bumper first? I did, and it seems like the force was transferred directly to the chassis.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Floods View Post
    ouch. I can't believe two people broke it in the same place. I drove mine into a curb at nearly full speed and that part survived, but the chassis cracked, right next to the servo. I superglued it since part # 7422 is not in stock anywhere right now. It seems like it'll hold for now.
    I also broke a shock and bend my drive shaft to about a 10 degree angle. This was not a light impact.

My question to you is, did either of you hit bumper first? I did, and it seems like the force was transferred directly to the chassis.
    Yours sound much more brutal than my impact! I actually had scrubbed off a lot of speed but I believe the impact was to the tire and missed the bumper when I hit. Sorry to hear about your chassis, did you call Traxxas to see it they have it??

RC poster
    Yours sound much more brutal than my impact! I actually had scrubbed off a lot of speed but I believe the impact was to the tire and missed the bumper when I hit. Sorry to hear about your chassis, did you call Traxxas to see it they have it??
    That makes sense. The design of part 7430 appears to be focused on front end impacts. Hitting it from the side would explain how it broke. I haven't called traxxas but their online store shows it out of stock. I'm actually pretty happy with my superglue fix. I slathered the area with super glue. I guess a phone call wouldn't hurt though.

RC Racer
    Floods... I know this topic was covered months ago.... But I followed your mis fortunate accident, but I have it on vide to prove and I believe it was full throttle when it hit the curb. Destroyed the chassis! But no the front bulkhead!?!? Guess that part is designed to absorb more, or the force of the impact is quickly transferred to the chassi, and the weak point being right there in Fron of the servo. In my case, super glue would not have fixed it properly. I bent my driveshaft about 20-30 degrees. See my post "Rally Meets Curb"

Joe
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Floods View Post

I just got my rally today and broke this piece halfway through the first run. I hit the front right corner into a rock at half speed. I cant find anywhere that his it in stock, so do you think it would work temporarily if I superglued it?

RC Champion
    I am thinking of adding some epoxy resin to that area this time for added strength or less flex? Anyone got other ideas for improvement short term?

RC Champion
    Traxxas Employee here on this thread says to call in to check if in stock which it was even though the website said not. I think at this point they are aware of this issue and I would think they or someone is already working on the improved version.

If I find any I will post or PM you where I saw them.....

RC Racer
    Whatever you do I suggest not driving with it broken... I need to replace a diff case, center drive shaft, and part 6845x now. Anyone know what the difference is between 6845 and 6845x?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by roachtron View Post
    Whatever you do I suggest not driving with it broken... I need to replace a diff case, center drive shaft, and part 6845x now. Anyone know what the difference is between 6845 and 6845x?
    Well my parts book that came with my Rally shows 6845x in schematics breakdown, but shows 6845 in the order pages for item? Checking website at Stormer Hobbies it is 6845x for the Rally. As to the difference, not sure but nylon bushings in 6845 vs bearings in 6845x it looks like? Traxxas Parts on this website shows 6845x as correct number and out of stock but best to call from what I have learned

RC Champion
    Well today finally my two new bulkheads arrived so it can go back together................................but wait, in closer examination I have also bent and flared out the driveshaft! I did not pay attention when I quickly took it apart and had set the driveshaft aside but now I see I will need a drive shaft also But I can now maybe look at a silver or gunmetal from STRC or Red from Traxxas or another blue LOL

Here is another thought on what maybe caused the severity of this sheering of the bulkhead. If you look from overhead in this shot, the tear started on the right and at an area that does not have a lot of plastic reinforcement. I believe maybe it was from the leverage of the impact driving back to the steering linkage post and that post being a leverage strong point to pull back and sheer off the bulkhead. Seems that some of the other chassis, Anza, Proline, and my previous Slash bolted through from top to bottom as a 'box' to add strength so maybe a needed improvement here?? Just thinking out loud and sharing my observations.

here are a few shots of driveshaft bend and flaring and top view showing the possible shearing from force to servo post?

Impact was to the driver side of the vehicle which would in turn put pressure to post that is shown here pulled furthest back. Might have to do some thinking on this one?? Any thoughts to share from anyone else??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Has anyone looked into bracing the chassis from the top similar to how it's done on an ERBE? Maybe using a camber link or something? I've jumped my rally straight off a 7 foot drop to flat pavement a dozen times (and its zero degrees here) and have had no problems with that part. But, to strengthen it in the short term I wonder if some sort of "doubler" style skid plate underneath would help. Maybe a cut up tbone skid that simply doubles the material under that part. I'm going to look into it tomorrow.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Has anyone looked into bracing the chassis from the top similar to how it's done on an ERBE? Maybe using a camber link or something? I've jumped my rally straight off a 7 foot drop to flat pavement a dozen times (and its zero degrees here) and have had no problems with that part. But, to strengthen it in the short term I wonder if some sort of "doubler" style skid plate underneath would help. Maybe a cut up tbone skid that simply doubles the material under that part. I'm going to look into it tomorrow.
    I think the top plate brace might be most helpful. I think the landing loads are not going to hurt but a force to one corner is going to act like a ton of force transferred to one or the other steering post and it will cause issues again.

You are doing what to your Rally? 7ft jumps No mercy LOL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I emailed T-Bone, and they said they would be getting to front bumpers/skid plates next week, and they would be ready by the weekend. They already have the rear bumpers available. I don't exactly know what the design is, but I'm sure it will help protect this weak spot.