RC Racer

Rally Telemetry Big or Bust?

So,

I presume this has been covered, but I wanted to test the waters and see if any one else has better info to pass on regarding the telemetry kits.

I have the full telemetry system installed on my rally. Unfortunately, there isn't a rally feature in the app yet... TRAXXAS???? But I used the Slash pre load out and figured they would be close enough. I appreciate the functions of the telemetry kit. Knowing the temp of your electronics and battery status is huge to me, but knowing actual speed or rpms isnt. I'm not driving the car to break any speed records. Besides, having the slash as the pre load out also causes inaccuracies in gauging speed, based on gearing and driveline, especially wheel size.

I'll need to build a set up based on the rally in stock set up, with the speed pinion installed. I wish I could get a 17T, as I feel it will strike a happy balance between the stock and the speed pinions, and help keep temps down.

If anyone has any suggestions on the telemetry settings, I'm all ears

Thanks for anyone's assistance or guidance on this matter, my apologies for creating a thread or recreating a thread on this matter.

Joe
    Last edited by BASH N SLASH; 03-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Racer
    I was just about to order all the telemetry for my Rally that I just recieved . I thought there was a app for the Rally ? Is it really worth the extr a $75 bucks to add all this ?? The other thought I had is it hard to see the telemetry on the phone when you have it in your hands watching the movement of the rally car ?? I suppose there is good things and bad .

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I'm really not sure why Traxxas doesnt have the Rally in the App yet. Don't fear though they should be soon. They have the Slash 4x4 LCG Ultimate that's out to. Only difference between it and the Slash 4x4 is its LCG. I know it doesnt show the Rally but using the Slash 4x4 one is ok for now.

The only telemetry options i'm using are the Voltage and temp. Those are/were my main concerns and work fantastic. They are both spot on and have confirmed with my LVA for voltage and IR Temp gun for temps. I have not and don't plan to install the RPM/ Speed sensor though. I have on order the GPS Module & Expander Unit for speed. That should be the best option for accurate speeds. Sad enough i've had both of those units on order for nearly a year. Hopefully they are working all the bugs out and making it worth the wait.

I really like the link app and it is very feature packed. You can set the voltage and temp to alarm you when it reaches a certain threshold. Heck it even makes a sound and flashes a little red light by the gauge. Not bad at all if you ask me. Plus you get to see all this goodness in a cluster of gauges and on an iDevice screen.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    I agree with Pede!

Having the temp and voltage status at your finger tips is huge! I too have an IR gun and the temps on the display were within 1-2 degrees accurate! Definitely a non issue if you ask me the voltage is also huge to protect those lipos and get a true idea of run times on your batts.

OF NOTE: I AM NOT A PRO, AND THIS NEXT PIECE IS MY PERSONAL OPINION - As for the RPM read out, I have it installed, only because it came that way, but I can't see any real advantage of it, unless you are turning laps and want to "record" your performance and dial in the right speeds for turns and straightaways, etc. I believe there is a built in feature that will record your throttle and steering and time. Then, and really only then, can I see the advantage of knowing the RPMs, as it gives you a feel for where you need to dial your throttle control in to maintain as much speed as needed before losing control on the laps.

As for driving and looking at the IPhone. You will spend 99% of your time "looking" at your Rally while driving when you stop, or are on a straight away, you may glance at the iPhone to see the gauges, but really, you don't want to lose sight of a 400$ curb rocket

Pede - quick question, where do you set your LVC alarm at on your traxxas app? I know our stock ESC has a bult in LVC cut off, is it automatically on, or do I need to turn it on, on the stock ESC? I have always stuck with rule of thumb at 3.2v per cell. But maybe even that is too low. I've heard some say never below 3.0, but I've read where people had a Lipo puff at 3.0.

RC Racer
    My toys - order the kit, don't do the rpm piece... Just do temp and volts for now, see how you like it and if you feel the need for rpm, get it. That's my advice, and it will save you some dough up front. If you totally hate it, you can sell it and not have to worry about breaking down the slipper to un install the rpm piece.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I'm really not sure why Traxxas doesnt have the Rally in the App yet. Don't fear though they should be soon. They have the Slash 4x4 LCG Ultimate that's out to. Only difference between it and the Slash 4x4 is its LCG. I know it doesnt show the Rally but using the Slash 4x4 one is ok for now.

The only telemetry options i'm using are the Voltage and temp. Those are/were my main concerns and work fantastic. They are both spot on and have confirmed with my LVA for voltage and IR Temp gun for temps. I have not and don't plan to install the RPM/ Speed sensor though. I have on order the GPS Module & Expander Unit for speed. That should be the best option for accurate speeds. Sad enough i've had both of those units on order for nearly a year. Hopefully they are working all the bugs out and making it worth the wait.

I really like the link app and it is very feature packed. You can set the voltage and temp to alarm you when it reaches a certain threshold. Heck it even makes a sound and flashes a little red light by the gauge. Not bad at all if you ask me. Plus you get to see all this goodness in a cluster of gauges and on an iDevice screen.
    +1 I agree with Digger. I'm only running volts & temp too. I'm not too concerned with speed, as I'm interested in watching the temps. Besides, the link app doesn't account for all of the different motor/ESC combos available. So speed would be hard to accurately determine.

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Racer
    I took my own advice... And followed what others have done. I disabled the RPM function and just went with volts and temps. Less wires, less fuss, less drain on batts - not that I think it even drains that much.

Speed based on RPMs would be difficult to determine. I think Pede has it right, only the GPS add on will give the best reading of ground speed.

I do have one question though: is it possible to turn on/off any of the other channels via the app? The receiver has additional channels, up to 5, and I currently have a fan installed on 4. I wanted to be able to turn the fan on or off from the app. Would be neat to have it off and see where my temps are at, then turn it on from the app and watch the temps go down...

Joe

RC Racer
    Just ordered all the telemetry except the RPM telemetry wire . Thanks for all the great info .

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by BASH N SLASH View Post
    Speed based on RPMs would be difficult to determine. I think Pede has it right, only the GPS add on will give the best reading of ground speed.

I do have one question though: is it possible to turn on/off any of the other channels via the app? The receiver has additional channels, up to 5, and I currently have a fan installed on 4. I wanted to be able to turn the fan on or off from the app. Would be neat to have it off and see where my temps are at, then turn it on from the app and watch the temps go down...

Joe
    Yeah I don't run much stock stuff so the preset app settings are worthless to me. If they gave you the option to input your own motor kv or tire dia it would probably work decently. Until then....the GPS will be my option. I'm hoping in the future that Traxxas would offer the ET-3S & ET-2400 as an optional combo for the Rally, Slash 4x4, and Pede 4x4.

To my knowledge they don't have an option to turn channels on/off. That would be kewl for say Lights!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Good point Pede. On.... Off.... How does he do that??? Lol.

There are a lot of things traxxas could do with the app to make it worth it's salt! Changing settings and features on channels would be huge. The only thing I can do is choose normal or reverse for the channels.

Joe