Thread: Help

RC poster

Question Help

I bought my jato 3.3 used at a pawn shop in town, 1st ime i ran it, it took a few but started up and ran good. So I just ran my truck for the 2nd time. put new glow plug in it, started it, it kept quitting so i would start it then rev it slightly and then more and more, then it made a noise and quit it was a ping type sound. Then after it quit, I tried to start again and when i did it made a click click click noise. NOW IT DOES NOTHING BUT CLICK?????????? HELP

RC Competitor
    sounds like u broke the rod maybe. it kinda sounds like u were running lean, but need more info. alot of smoke? cutting out? was it running hot? the click click noise i take it was from the EZ start? like i said, more info would help bud. if it was me, i would tear the motor down and take a look at the rod an piston.

RC poster
    is it hard to tear it down? it was smoking rather moderate. i looked in the exhaust port last night and noticed it looked like the piston may be chipped? the click seems to be coming from the engine and not the ez start because i took the ezstart off and it about turned upside down when i hit the starter. the first time i ran it, it cut out a good bit until i got it tuned in and idled correct. but took a while to start. it seemed to blow out like rusty oily, moisture? however when it started it was great. the second time i ran it, it wasnt starting and staying running, i swapped the plug out, kept trying to keep it running by holding the throtttle at like 25%, then it seemed ok, i ran it down the yard and back, it quit and rolled rather far consideering where it normally would stop when running. like it lost drivetrain/trans., im not a mechanic but i know a lot about 2 cycle and i have owned a lawn service doing major repairs to my equipment over the past 8 years. i know they should smoke alittle to keep oiled. but i know this is nitro and not 2 cycle. thanks in advance for the help?

oh and i tried to run it rich to keep oiled? hope thats not a bad thing?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-12-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Running rich is better than running lean, will keep your motor cool, lubed, and will last longer, the best way to check it out is removing the motor, it is not that hard, also helps to know your motor better, and will help for future repairs. You can take a look at the piston, and Conrod removing the exhaust and starter, youtube might be helpfull, just make sure to put everything back inthe right position specially the one way bearing when removing the ezstart, or the motor won't start

RC Racer
    If you saw a chunk missing out of the piston skirt then you split the connecting rod and it beat the bottom of the piston up. 13000 rpm will tend to do that. You have two choices. Remove the engine, buy the con rod from some other company like rb mods or davis diesel so it lasts longer, then buy the piston/sleeve set from traxxass and rebuild it yourself or do the traxxax trade in and pay 110 for a new 3.3 at a participating LHS. Whatever. You do, run it richer this time. You almost have to run these engines pig rich or they will break. A high oil content in the fuel is preferred, and castor over synthetics is better. You have to keep the engine temp under 270 or you are going to destroy it again. To get the parts off the engine if you choose rebuild, remove the engine, remove the clutch bell, unscrew the nut holding on the flywheel, remove the flywheel, remove the cooling head, get the piston and sleeve out without hurting the engine shell. Then you take the rear ezstart engine off and you can slide the crankshaft out the rear. Make sure you clean and repack the bearings with grease before putting it all back together. If you aren't mechanically inclined, just trade it in or buy a different engine, like os. 21tm, a direct drop in and more reliable.