RC Qualifier

Rally + New Dusty Track= Melted Parts

Hey everyone! I got a traxxas rally about 4 days ago and decided to build a new RC track. We havent had any rain so the track dirt is very dry/dusty & loose, well i found out this loose dirt likes to fill the chassis full of dirt!! it also gets into the spur gear area and locks up you spur carrier bearing and melts bearing adapter.

I have five packs ran threw the car. The motor and esc is malfunction some too...I must of got a lemon lol. I will be sending the motor esc off soon.

Bearing adapter

locked up bearing and adapter

Clutch came apart too

This photo was taken from a platform 15 feet in the air. doesnt look like in the photo..

other half

Donut to show you how dusty the track is.

1/10 Rally/MERV/REVO .26 Max/BL RUSTY 4Tec/FE Boat

RC Champion
    Grab your self the aluminum slipper adapter. A couple bucks. Was the slipper squealing a lot before that happened or all of a sudden just locked up on ya with no signs or different sounds?

What's the problem with your Motor/ESC? What is it doing?
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Grab your self the aluminum slipper adapter. A couple bucks. Was the slipper squealing a lot before that happened or all of a sudden just locked up on ya with no signs or different sounds?

What's the problem with your Motor/ESC? What is it doing?
    Ok will do. I wish King Headz made a aluminum motor mount for the rally....Slash mount is different.

Car was running great and i never knew of any problem until i went to clean it(clean with compressed air after every use) and noticed the center axle could move up, down and all over...."crap!"

ESC/Motor problem:

If you ever stop the car I have to press the throttle trigger 15-20 times before the car will move. The motor just makes a chirp sounds then it will finally take off after 15-20 throttle pumps, if i never stop the car it just keeps going and going.

I also noticed if it makes the chirp sound, keep holding the throttle and give it a little push and it will take off.

Based on experience with my Stampede 4x4 I think the aluminum bearing adapter is a must and the aluminum slipper clutch pads a very worthy upgrade, both parts are inexpensive and worthy upgrades.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Based on experience with my Stampede 4x4 I think the aluminum bearing adapter is a must and the aluminum slipper clutch pads a very worthy upgrade, both parts are inexpensive and worthy upgrades.
    +1 on that. Never had an issue with the upgraded slipper in my Pede. It handles the power of my Castle 2650Kv motor just fine.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    YOU DESTROYED YOUR HUNTING AREA!!!!!!

you can see where my mind is.....LOL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    YOU DESTROYED YOUR HUNTING AREA!!!!!!

you can see where my mind is.....LOL
    Haha. I have 200 acres. my deer stand is a ways from this location.

RC poster
    i upgraded to revo spec slippers on both my slash and rally... also ditched the stock power plant for a castle setup... i think your esc may of been over heated best to get onto traxxas and see if you can do warranty... look into getting some outerwears covers to stop most of the dust and debris.. that will save you money in the long run...

check your temps after a run and get a few extra bearings just in case the slash eats them but the rally i am not sure as i am yet to run mine (waiting on the cc 2400kv and mmp)

also check your drive shafts..the nylon can twist and bind... metal upgrades provide the best peace of mind.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mac View Post
    i upgraded to revo spec slippers on both my slash and rally... also ditched the stock power plant for a castle setup... i think your esc may of been over heated best to get onto traxxas and see if you can do warranty... look into getting some outerwears covers to stop most of the dust and debris.. that will save you money in the long run...

check your temps after a run and get a few extra bearings just in case the slash eats them but the rally i am not sure as i am yet to run mine (waiting on the cc 2400kv and mmp)

also check your drive shafts..the nylon can twist and bind... metal upgrades provide the best peace of mind.
    Will the slash 4x4 outwear fit the Low CG rally chassis?
    I never saw my motor temp get over 140F. The motor esc has been messed up since the first run.
    Last edited by trx revo rox; 11-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.

RC Champion
    lol. I just finished emailing them and asking the same question literally 2 minutes ago. This thing just loves to suck up anything you drive through like a vacuum and fill the chassis with rocks/mud/dirt and little tiny rocks thats get stuck everywhere lol.

RC Qualifier
    Could you tell me what they say stephan?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Try to pick up a replacement bearing from Avid RC(dual rubber seal, not the revolution type). Your gonna have to live with the plastic bearing support until the aftermarket steps up. The alum bearing adapter, and the avid bearing I mention, along with cleaning out the area(including pulling the seals on the bearing) after every dust filled day of running should make everything last a long time. I did the same with an hpi diff support bearing of the same size, and did not have any problems after, using the plastic bearing support. Bottom line is, you need to clean that area more often when running in harsh conditions, no matter what. No way around it...

EDIT: It is usually better to call Traxxas directly and talk to someone on the phone when needing cust service...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The stampede/slash/rally 4X4 come with a "revo spec" slipper. If you bought another slipper setup you didnt really upgrade, you just bought the same parts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I noticed my Rally picks up tons if gravel and grit running 100% on pavement. I've learned to tip it upside down and give it a good shake before bringing it inside.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trx revo rox View Post
    Ok will do. I wish King Headz made a aluminum motor mount for the rally....Slash mount is different.

Car was running great and i never knew of any problem until i went to clean it(clean with compressed air after every use) and noticed the center axle could move up, down and all over...."crap!"

ESC/Motor problem:

If you ever stop the car I have to press the throttle trigger 15-20 times before the car will move. The motor just makes a chirp sounds then it will finally take off after 15-20 throttle pumps, if i never stop the car it just keeps going and going.

I also noticed if it makes the chirp sound, keep holding the throttle and give it a little push and it will take off.
    My rally had that (motor/esc issue) right out of the box, if I pushed it by hand it would also wake back up. Traxxas had me send both the esc and motor in. I will see what is put on the report when I get it back.

DJ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I noticed my Rally picks up tons if gravel and grit running 100% on pavement. I've learned to tip it upside down and give it a good shake before bringing it inside.
    Same here, %100 on road, and the thing is caked with little rocks lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The stampede/slash/rally 4X4 come with a "revo spec" slipper. If you bought another slipper setup you didnt really upgrade, you just bought the same parts.
    The stampede/slash/rally 4X4 come with jato clutch, the revo spec clutch is bigger, same size of pad but bigger pressure plate
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by samintrepid View Post
    The stampede/slash/rally 4X4 come with jato clutch, the revo spec clutch is bigger, same size of pad but bigger pressure plate
    True statement.

RC Qualifier
    These traxxas models are the worst in sand/fine dirt i've seen, the nitros and bigger trucks are good, my slash is always broke down in these situations.

RC Competitor
    The outerwear does fit. I had a spare from my 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by djbrun View Post
    My rally had that (motor/esc issue) right out of the box, if I pushed it by hand it would also wake back up. Traxxas had me send both the esc and motor in. I will see what is put on the report when I get it back.

DJ
    My slash did the samething they sent me a new motor/esc

RC poster

collected a little bit of dust but nothing more than that.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by trx revo rox View Post
    Hey everyone! I got a traxxas rally about 4 days ago and decided to build a new RC track. We havent had any rain so the track dirt is very dry/dusty & loose, well i found out this loose dirt likes to fill the chassis full of dirt!! it also gets into the spur gear area and locks up you spur carrier bearing and melts bearing adapter.

I have five packs ran threw the car. The motor and esc is malfunction some too...I must of got a lemon lol. I will be sending the motor esc off soon.

Bearing adapter

locked up bearing and adapter

Clutch came apart too

This photo was taken from a platform 15 feet in the air. doesnt look like in the photo..

other half

Donut to show you how dusty the track is.

That is a very nice track!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowwin View Post

collected a little bit of dust but nothing more than that.
    So thats what that chunk of foam is for!(rear inner bumper) I was wondering lol.

Thanks for posting. I will be getting me a outer filter for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Dowwin View Post
    That is a very nice track!
    Thanks! It took about 2-3 hours to build. It started out has a field with 3 foot tall grass lol. I'm planning on adding some doubles. It will be real nice once it rains and packs in.

RC Qualifier
    looks like i got my wish..It raining here! No more really dusty track!

Im thinking about getting a better motor esc.

Would the mamba monster have to much power to be a good track car setup?

RC Qualifier
    waterproof receiver box is not dust proof? lol This was the first time i opened the receiver box

Dyed the chassis orange...turned out rusty brown...I have done black and blue, so i want to try something new.

I red on some reviews that this car is difficult to work on and take apart....It took me 11min to take the car completely apart down to the bear chassis..This was my first time taking this car apart and I was using the stock traxxas tools....I have R/C's that are 10 times harder to work on..

Now I just have to wait for my new parts to get in before I can shred again .
    Last edited by trx revo rox; 11-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.

RC Champion
    I'm liking that color.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Your motor and esc are fine IF that issue is happening 10 minutes into the run.You have to gear down and it won't happen. This happen mostly when in training mode though
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I had the same ESC problem with my Rally car and called Traxxas and they approved a swap on the phone immediately!
    It's a bummer to have that go wrong but their customer service is really great.
    I also ran the crap out of mine on a dry dusty track (I put a video of some of it on the video page) but haven't noticed wear like that yet. Good luck with it!

RC poster
    That stock motor and esc is more than fast enough for this thing...don't waste money on new electrics just get a cheapy 3 cell Lipo (on sale at hobby people for $49 bucks) and it will make your car ridiculously fast for way cheap!
    With a 3200 mah 3 cell lipo, I got a run time of just over 15 minutes (stock out of the box gearing) of full race track driving and the temperature was 163.

RC Champion
    ran 20 minute's with alot drifting and speedrun's on a 5000mah 3s and motor was 172. Stock gearing mind you. My slash 4x4 when I ran it stock gearing and the same pack I only got 150. I think the rally body keep's alot of the air from circulating through and aid cooling. Last time I'm running it with that motor and esc, guess the 2400 sct in going in monday.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by autoedit View Post
    That stock motor and esc is more than fast enough for this thing...don't waste money on new electrics just get a cheapy 3 cell Lipo (on sale at hobby people for $49 bucks) and it will make your car ridiculously fast for way cheap!
    With a 3200 mah 3 cell lipo, I got a run time of just over 15 minutes (stock out of the box gearing) of full race track driving and the temperature was 163.
    just a reference to show whats out there for a 3s 5000 mah pack, and from a highly regarded supplier:
    3s 25c 5000 mah 41$
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???