RC Racer

Ran it on the local dirt oval last night.

It ran pretty well.
    We normaly run Late models, Bombers and Sprints cars , but the guys are talking about another class for next year. Something Traxxas-ish, 4x4 Slash/Stampede/Rally based, with late model or EDM bodies.
    The car is not far from being VERY hooked up.

The list of 'needs',is a short one.

A faster servo , center diff, slightly better tire,stiffer springs and oil, and 2 more teeth on the pinion , should be all that is required for a consistent dirt oval car.

Should be a fun class for next season !!
    Won my first race in 1985...

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! W. that list you'll be set! Add these: Linear springs, Big Bore Shocks (or just aluminum shock caps) and a good ol' set of JConcepts DD tires.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    It ran pretty well.
    We normaly run Late models, Bombers and Sprints cars , but the guys are talking about another class for next year. Something Traxxas-ish, 4x4 Slash/Stampede/Rally based, with late model or EDM bodies.
    The car is not far from being VERY hooked up.

The list of 'needs',is a short one.

A faster servo , center diff, slightly better tire,stiffer springs and oil, and 2 more teeth on the pinion , should be all that is required for a consistent dirt oval car.

Should be a fun class for next season !!

Noob question. I took my rally out today first time on a pretty rough gravel and dirt side of my neighborhood construction site(very fun) but most of the time it was really bouncy. So you saying stiffer springs and heavier oil would make it better?

Question is...what's the best setup for offroad? To make the ride little more rally like....thanks
    Last edited by Dowwin; 11-10-2012 at 06:02 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowwin View Post
    Noob question. I took my rally out today first time on a pretty rough gravel and dirt side of my neighborhood construction site(very fun) but most of the time it was really bouncy. So you saying stiffer springs and heavier oil would make it better?

Question is...what's the best setup for offroad? To make the ride little more rally like....thanks
    I would think that stiffer springs would make it more bouncy. The body of the car would be pushed up more, rather than the shock absorbing the forces. I would definitely go with some upgraded shocks though. Aluminum caps are gonna be a must. I took mine out on a rocky, gravel/dirt/street run last night. I hit a big rock at a decent speed. It did 6 cartwheels and the right rear shock cap came off, slinging silicone oil all over the inside of my shell. No biggie to repair, but it's something you don't want to keep happening. I'm angling for a set of the proline powerstroke shocks for x-mas. (I already decided that the Rally is gonna be my "nothing but the best" performance car).

I've never experimented with different oil weights. (I'm brand new to RC.) I'd be interested to hear other's experiences with such tweaks.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    If it is bouncing and the tires are loosing contact, you will need lighter oil in the shocks to start with, then maybe some lighter springs. Dont make big changes or more than 1 change at once. Not sure if the rally shock oil is standard 30wt traxxas oil. Find out what weight oil the stock is(have a suspicion its heavier than 30 wt) and drop the weight by 5 or 10. See if it improves the bouncing. If you have to drop the oil wt more than that, you will prob need softer springs to match the oil to the springs. Just remember, softening the suspension up too much will have adverse affects on jumping and smoother surfaces. You have to find a happy medium between all the surfaces you run on. If the car handles awesome on 75% of the surfaces you run on, and crappy on just the small rough gravel, you setup is probably pretty close to gold.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???