Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Enthusiast
    Dude, this is one awesome thread on how to build an eSlayer...I'm liking a lot. I have looked at your other build threads; very cool indeed.

I like threads like this...A lot of detailed info, part numbers, references and pics...the videos speak for themselves. NICE!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post

A lot of fine detail in that paint work...it looks great on the video. Your eSlayer is like a little rocket, plenty power their .

RC poster
    Ah, hello please. Very nice information. Very like when videos and pictures to back up all the talk. Keep up going the good work

RC Enthusiast
    Are those plastic chassis you dyed? any tips for aluminum parts and changing thier color

Quote Originally Posted by Naaier View Post
    Dude, this is one awesome thread on how to build an eSlayer...I'm liking a lot. I have looked at your other build threads; very cool indeed.

I like threads like this...A lot of detailed info, part numbers, references and pics...the videos speak for themselves. NICE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sipho banda View Post
    Ah, hello please. Very nice information. Very like when videos and pictures to back up all the talk. Keep up going the good work
    Cheers guys...this truck is a lot of fun, I'm using it every chance I get lately. Bashing it everywhere I can .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by DjBillyB View Post
    Are those plastic chassis you dyed? any tips for aluminum parts and changing thier color
    Those are the stock chassis that have been dyed...a lot of the guys on here use easy-off to remove the anodizing; you may have to look at powder coating if your interested in changing colour.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    great vid and pics how do like the vdp on the slayer ,does the weight have an effect on how it works .

Thanks mate...I am running MOD1 20/38 at the moment. Its a beast on 2/2s, I might dial it back to 19/40 but motor and ESC temps are fine with this gearing. When running on grass the max has been around 70C and on dirt around 63C.

I have been using VDP's in my eRevo for the past year...I just naturally put them in here too when I built this truck. I like them; it has made a noticeable difference to me and the way my truck handles...this and a combination of the sway bars.

On grass the truck still rolls easily without throttle control but on dirt it stays planted on the ground...I LIKE it a lot .

Weight doesn't really seem to be an issue, I was surprised at how well the eSlayer runs and handles....
    Rock n Rolla !

Here's a video I made recently, the shots you see with the 3 humps in it, I am still running the Silver F/Blue R combo...In all the other shots I am running Green F/Gold R. I still have VDP #3 F/ VDP #2 R.

Rock n Rolla !

Council kindly bulldozed the old track down and built this instead. Its a clay track; no particular course outlaid but still fun...not cool when you don't land your jumps as the ground is as hard as rock .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    this is kinda tame compared to your other runs on ur erbe...why is it that?...is it the shorter a-arms?...why does it look as if it's not as powerful and as fast...ur other erbe can clear that jump from a stand still...is it just the gearing?...

it's still performing real well...just doesn't act like ur erbe that's all...but of course...i know nothing...so...please don't take any offense to my questions...

It's a short course truck running 2/2s...that all the ESC is rated for, 4s.

Its no where near as powerful as the eRevo...but still has a lot of grunt. What I like about this truck is that it has huge amount of torque through the whole throttle range at any given time. It is a lot of fun to bash around.

Its probably hitting the low to mid 40s...which is perfect for where I am using it. I find having one hectic crazy truck that is a beast is enough for me .

I built this truck so I could have a variety of options for the mood that I'm in on that given day

My trucks:
    1xSummit
    1xeRevo
    1xeSlayer
    1x?? next one on the go...still deciding.

It gives me a lot options for different uses which is great .
    Rock n Rolla !

That's all i run mine on too, 4s is plenty for my Eslayer. I can run 6 if i want, but dont really feel the need.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    It's a short course truck running 2/2s...that all the ESC is rated for, 4s.

Its no where near as powerful as the eRevo...but still has a lot of grunt. What I like about this truck is that it has huge amount of torque through the whole throttle range at any given time. It is a lot of fun to bash around.

Its probably hitting the low to mid 40s...which is perfect for where I am using it. I find having one hectic crazy truck that is a beast is enough for me .

I built this truck so I could have a variety of options for the mood that I'm in on that given day

My trucks:
    1xSummit
    1xeRevo
    1xeSlayer
    1x?? next one on the go...still deciding.

It gives me a lot options for different uses which is great .
    How about a road only 'E' Similar to X01 type car ?? or perhaps a "E-GTR"

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    That's all i run mine on too, 4s is plenty for my Eslayer. I can run 6 if i want, but dont really feel the need.
    This truck is a blast on 4s mate...thank you for introducing me to the eSlayer through your build thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Yip-man View Post
    How about a road only 'E' Similar to X01 type car ?? or perhaps a "E-GTR"
    Yip, that's it...what I have in mind...a road only truck .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Looking forward to reading through the build then :-)

learn't a great deal from you builds.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a question. When shimming the diff I noticed you shim on the side pushing the ring gear away from the pinion (creating more play)and no shims on the ring gear side that would decrease clearances

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I have a question. When shimming the diff I noticed you shim on the side pushing the ring gear away from the pinion (creating more play)and no shims on the ring gear side that would decrease clearances
    I had to do this to create more clearance as the ring and pinion gears were binding to badly. I took me a long time to shim both diffs so that when the pinion gear was rotated it was smooth and there was no significant play on any gears.

In my experience I find that every time I build a diff and shim it, it often turns out different.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Yip-man View Post
    Looking forward to reading through the build then :-)

learn't a great deal from you builds.
    Cheers mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am shimming my losi diff right now and just like yours wont take a shim on the diff side but so far. 3 on the other side and wants more

I am shimming my losi diff right now and just like yours wont take a shim on the diff side but so far. 3 on the other side and wants more
    Yeah mate...diff shimming is a bugger and time consuming. You could shim 1 diff this way and the next diff could be completely different.

So far my Losi diffs are holding up well...I haven't inspected since putting the new ring and pinion in the front diff a couple months back. I will tear the truck down in the next few months for inspection and service.
    Rock n Rolla !

This is me launch ramp bashing my truck...I was trying to jump from one ramp and land on the other...I wasn't quite successful...

Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I thought you meant as in hitting head first into the other ramp!

RC Qualifier
    looks good Craig, where do you get all of the patience for these cars when they break? At least no more diff issues for the e-revo
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

I thought you meant as in hitting head first into the other ramp!
    Are you referring to landing nose first in the transition of the other ramp...if so, that's what I was trying for. I think I need bigger ramps to try get that right.These ramps are so small I kept overshooting or hitting the ramp but never got a smooth landing in the transition .

I will try it again sometime to see if I can get it right .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
    looks good Craig, where do you get all of the patience for these cars when they break? At least no more diff issues for the e-revo
    Thanks mate...fortunately I haven't had any issues with this truck so far. The only thing is I have wrecked the body from bashing like I do. If I wasn't jumping this truck so much I don't think there would be any issues with the body.

At least the eRevo diffs are going strong...it's awesome not having to rebuild diffs all the time just to get your truck up and running again for the next bash session.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When you said wasnt quite successful -i pictured it hitting the front of the ramp!

RC Qualifier
    Are you referring to landing nose first in the transition of the other ramp...if so, that's what I was trying for. I think I need bigger ramps to try get that right.These ramps are so small I kept overshooting or hitting the ramp but never got a smooth landing in the transition .

I will try it again sometime to see if I can get it right .
    You'll get it sometime, it is really hard to do it with the same angle ramps but is possible.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

When you said wasnt quite successful -i pictured it hitting the front of the ramp!
    There was a couple of those...I just edited them out the video.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Shock limiter mod review

This limiter mod seems to be holding up OK at limiting the shock, its probably lost a few mm from the blue bumper spacer been squashed. Original pic of the mod.

Last night I decided to take the limiters out and try the eSlayer without limiters to see what the difference is in performance and handling of my truck would be.

What I noticed when I opened up my shocks is that the blue bumper had been slightly squashed and deformed out of shape. It had also swopped positions with the pushrod spacer, it had done so with all 4 shocks. The spacer remained behind inside the shock when the shaft was removed.

The pushrod spacer was now pushing against the inside of the shock; it hadn't really caused any damage when I inspected. When I emptied the shock oil I was surprised how clean my oil was as this truck has been used in a lot of loose dirt conditions.

As seen above you can see all the bits of the blue bumper that had been eaten away by the pushrod spacer. I honestly didn't expect this when when I did the mod. This had also blocked some of the holes on the VDP.

I am going to revisit this mod as I have some different ideas on how to limit the shocks.
    Rock n Rolla !

I had a bearing go in my rear diff...this is the damage it caused to the diff cup. There was no sign that the bearing had gone and I just happened to pick this up because I was inspecting my drive shafts.

While I was at it I opened up the diff cup for inspection...as you can there is some where on the side wall from the spider gears.

I was surprised to see that the gears looked virtually as good as new.

I might in the future look at going back to the stock diff cup and aluminium diff case only. I still have a few spare of these hot racing diff cups.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Here is my latest eSlayer pro 4x4 bashing vid.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^
    Still impressed by the out-in copeing jump you landed. We have been trying to perfect that one for awhile now.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

^^ Cheers mate...we finally caught it on camera.

Here is a sequence shot of me airing out of a 1/4 pipe about 4ft high and landing about 10ft further back in the ramp. To see the eSlayer in action doing this move it is the last shot from the video in post #111.

My eSlayer is so much fun to bash around.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Hey Craig, I'd love to build an E-Slayer, but don't know how to go about it. Did you just start with a E-Revo base then install the slayer arms, driveshafts, linkages? Also how much did it cost? I probably wouldn't go with the aluminium diff parts and everything would probably be the stock stuff.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Hey Craig, I'd love to build an E-Slayer, but don't know how to go about it. Did you just start with a E-Revo base then install the slayer arms, driveshafts, linkages? Also how much did it cost? I probably wouldn't go with the aluminium diff parts and everything would probably be the stock stuff.
    How you going mate?...My eSlayer build is an eRevo chassis with Slayer pro arms, pushrod and toe links, rear and front bumper. I'm running the HOBBYWING XERUN 2000KV Brushless Motor & EZRUN WP SC8 120A ESC Combo.

You could probably run the eSlayer on a single stock servo and stock eRevo diffs should be fine if you running 4s...if you running 17mm hubs then look at 1/8 buggy tyres.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    How you going mate?...My eSlayer build is an eRevo chassis with Slayer pro arms, pushrod and toe links, rear and front bumper. I'm running the HOBBYWING XERUN 2000KV Brushless Motor & EZRUN WP SC8 120A ESC Combo.

You could probably run the eSlayer on a single stock servo and stock eRevo diffs should be fine if you running 4s...if you running 17mm hubs then look at 1/8 buggy tyres.
    Im good thanks mate. Alright it seems a pretty straight forward ordeal, im gonna look into it because I look at it like this: I spend the money on a brushless kit for my summit and take it out of its natural habitat, or use the money to build a truck designed for brushless and if think a slayer would loan itself well to where I bash
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Im good thanks mate. Alright it seems a pretty straight forward ordeal, im gonna look into it because I look at it like this: I spend the money on a brushless kit for my summit and take it out of its natural habitat, or use the money to build a truck designed for brushless and if think a slayer would loan itself well to where I bash
    No worries mate...I'll PM you tomorrow.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Hey Mitch I'm contemplating tutting a rubber stopper inside my erevo shock to try stop the suspension drooping too much when car is in the air as this is what pops the losi axles out of the diff cups
    Do u think it will affect my bashing and jumping as I'm worried that I will loose too much suspension travel
    Maybe ill just remove a spacer on one side of the shock rods or even move the rod to the outer hole on the a arms
    And hopefully I won't loose to much travel when doing big air jumps

Hey mate...I think shock limiter mod wont do so well for bashing and jumping as it will limit your shock travel to much. It will probably make you eRevo fell to bumpy and will loose that plush feel it has. Have a look here...this is what I did on my Rally to limit shock travel...post #140
    Rock n Rolla !